Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

so is the projected shelved ? haha no really do you think its still on , "last bite of the apple and all that "
SDR
________
Lamborghini Estoque History

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Mr. Bruce did you get rid of the other fia body yet , can't wait to see it mounted on a finished FFR.

SDR
________
Toyota corolla e70

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nope, tried to give it away for free, no takers.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
That's my FiA plug that I built 5 years ago, with the FiA splash mold wraped around it, chin mold section of the nose is not on there, exposing the oil cooler nacel. did anybody get an honest straight answer what they are going to do?
Yup, been sitting up there collecting dust for quite some time.

Whenever someone asks about where my 289FIA is, Dave Smith points to your unused buck.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

I want to know why the car in all the photos has the Ford Racing plate on it. If someone is announcing a brand new car why would they be advertising FR without some type of significant tie in with them?? Like 5.0L coyote turn key packages that are emission legal??
Old 02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
I want to know why the car in all the photos has the Ford Racing plate on it. If someone is announcing a brand new car why would they be advertising FR without some type of significant tie in with them?? Like 5.0L coyote turn key packages that are emission legal??
There is a significant tie. FR is using the MK4 to showcase the new Coyote mill.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
What most excites me about this new car is the mention of a revised front suspension geometry. There is an "SAI mod" for current FFRs that gets the kingpin angle closer to being right. Apparently this new car has a revised spindle that addresses that - I hope. If it does not, I will not be building an FFR.

I have friends who have gone to Backdraft cars after owning FFRs and they all much prefer the handling of the Backdraft and enjoy the cars more because of it.
Yes the SAI mod does address those issues. Anyone who has driven a SAI modded FFR will tell you the car tracks wonderfully(as long as the car is aligned properly)

The complete kit comes with a new spindle which is based on the SN95 spindle but for SLA type suspension. I dont know what the SAI is on the spindle but suspect is close to what I designed in the SAI mod.

The difference in 'feel' once the SAI and caster trail and proper alignment is addressed is profound. Its interesting how someone would trade to a different brand car before making a $300 change that so many people rave about... but thats another discussion

David
Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That one was so cleverly spun that most readers probably didn't even realize that it was just more sales propaganda....
thats funny right there!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

David, I personally know 5 guys that built FFRs, sold them, and when the time came for another cobra they went BDR. It was a lot more than just SAI that influenced the decision. Perhaps it was a combination of all the other things that are just a little "off" with the FFR that they didn't want to deal with for a second time given the package you get from BDR for that price. Since we are in Florida near Reg Dodd I'm sure that helped the decision. I hope the new car from FFR fixes the stuff that should have been right to begin with. Getting a BDR is like ordering a pizza compared to an FFR build and once you've been there and done that once you just want to go straight to "fun". I do know that my friends put their money where their mouths are and to a man are very happy.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never realized how poorly my car handled until I did David's SAI mod. The improvement was amazing. The MK4 uses the 33 Hot Rod's spindle which sets the correct SAI. The steering knuckle bolts onto the spindle so you can tweak til your heart's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Getting a BDR is like ordering a pizza compared to an FFR build and once you've been there and done that once you just want to go straight to "fun".
That's an odd way to put it because I keep ordering pizza over and over. I still find a bunch of fun in building and tinkering but I certainly understand the mindset.

Last edited by TButtrick; 02-22-2010 at 01:46 AM..
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I don't even know 5 people with Backdrafts much less 5 that switched.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not questioning the validity of that statement but in my eight years of enjoying this hobby, I haven't met 5 people that owned any type of brand that switched to any type of another. I know and have met 2 people that switched from FFR to ERA and FFR to CSX4K. I know a few more that have bought another brand but kept the first. Knowing of 5 people switching from the same brand to the another same brand seems unusual. We want names and social security numbers.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
I'm not questioning the validity of that statement but in my eight years of enjoying this hobby, I haven't met 5 people that owned any type of brand that switched to any type of another. I know and have met 2 people that switched from FFR to ERA and FFR to CSX4K. I know a few more that have bought another brand but kept the first. Knowing of 5 people switching from the same brand to the another same brand seems unusual. We want names and social security numbers.
That's because you don't have any friends.

They all live in South FL. Lots of cobras down here...

Last edited by jmimac351; 02-23-2010 at 05:37 AM..
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce, do you have any idea whether the "198" body or your 289 body mold that FFR has will fit the new mkIV frame?

Previously when FFR announced plans for a 198 is was to be for a limited production run. If the mkIV won't work easily with those bodies then that's not so good for people wanting that body or a 289 from them, I guess...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can't tell you about how/if the "198" or other F5 bodys fit what. I can tell you that the bodys I make(289 street, FiA, and 289 Compcar) are direct fit ,bolt on to the mkIII, and IV, f5 frames.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What is a "198" body? The Dick Smith body does not exist nor will it ever.

Last edited by TButtrick; 02-24-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the "198" body is the digitized D$ck Smith body. That body WILL NOT fit a standard F5 mkIII frame, and by the looks of it, (the frame) a mkIV frame either.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
the "198" body is the digitized D$ck Smith body.

Yes, but it doesn't exist... does it?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
Probably just filling the gap on the trunk lid...probably cause its Ford powered.

I did the same....

Old 03-05-2010, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If this is the last incarnation of the FFR Roadster, the cost and amount of work required to fit the #198 body was just too great. As I always suspected, to do the car "right" the frame needs major modification. That's too bad, but they have done a nice job with the updates anyway. I only wonder if they will completely redo the car 5 years down the road. Of course they will have to give it a new name.