Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Wow, a lot of jumping to conlcusions. Just because the paper says, "Alcohol appears to be a factor in the crash, police said." doesn't mean that it was. Maybe they were drunk, and maybe they were not. Pure speculation at this point. In some counties, alcohol is always the cause until they find something else.

And Tommy is right. The last picture is a completly differant car. If they can't get the pictures right, why should we believe they can get the facts right.

I don't know these people, or the drivers skill level. But what if it was something like a broken Bilstein at 55mph? That never happens.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
And Texas actually has drive-thru liquor stores.
Ahhuuummm.....yes we do, they sell beer and wine, no hard liquor. Open container is now outlawed, but until a few years back was OK as long as you could pass a breathalizer test.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Too bad! The last time I was involved in an accident (1981) with our beautiful 69 Chevelle,and alcohol was the culprit.That too was the last time alcohol and motorvehicles were used in the same sentence at this ranch.Good thing,no way could I ever imagine climbing behind the wheel of the Cobra with a buzz.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Another tip for you dealers and organizers sponsoring car events that sell alcohol:
If your name is on the flyers and advertising, think twice if they allow alcohol at your car event. Somehow, you will be named in the lawsuit when something goes wrong. "Exhibit A" is the flyer with your name on it!!!
I'm not a Lawyer, but we have plenty here that I would think can back that up.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't recall that we ever had liquor of any kind at the car shows or cruise in's I attended over the years in Hawaii. Not that myself or anybody else I know there "drank" anyway. A New Years high ball, maybe.

....sounds like it's fairly common on the mainland?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What's your point? Ever heard of a drive through fast food place? It's illegal to eat and drive in most, if not all, states.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
AZ does also. There's one right across the street from the of the University of Arizona. We all know college kids never drink!
Larry
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Wow, a lot of jumping to conlcusions. Just because the paper says, "Alcohol appears to be a factor in the crash, police said." doesn't mean that it was. Maybe they were drunk, and maybe they were not. Pure speculation at this point. In some counties, alcohol is always the cause until they find something else.

And Tommy is right. The last picture is a completly differant car. If they can't get the pictures right, why should we believe they can get the facts right.

I don't know these people, or the drivers skill level. But what if it was something like a broken Bilstein at 55mph? That never happens.
Yup.

Just wanted to assure you that someone did read your post and agrees with you.

Just hope the folks make it through the ordeal.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As was mentioned earlier, "alcohol" may mean nothing more than a single beer or a glass of wine shared with friends at a local cruise in. The police report, "Alcohol APPEARS to be a factor." So what happened to this experienced driver/owner of TWO COBRAS, one of which is a race car? He's no newbie, alcohol couldn't be ruled out as a factor. Based on the preliminary police report, it's not speculation on this thread, it's a possible factor.

Did the article in the paper get it wrong about which Cobra is owned by the man in question? Or did the reader miss this important note on one of the five pictures posted?

Quote:
Debbie Helms, Christian Hills, and Gregory Helms of Corona Del Mar stand with their '65 Shelby Cobra, one of two that they dispayed at a 2009 car show in Orange.
The picture of his SECOND COBRA, a race car, says to me the guy knew how to drive, he's not a newbie. He wasn't likely showing off for his wife. He would be knowledgable concerning throttle over steer. In other words, I would tend to rule out "driver error" in this single car accident. UNLESS he was under the influence?

Did something break on the car? Or was their indeed alcohol involved?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Actually, your post provides a fine assample of what "speculation" is all about, you speculator you.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
AZ does also. There's one right across the street from the of the University of Arizona. We all know college kids never drink!
Larry

Louisiana also, only packaged liquor, no open containers, unless you count the drivethru at the Diaquiri huts all over the place!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The speculatin' prostecution rests it's case!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Hi gang, long time no post. Been dealing with cancer and have had a rough time. A shame, my car hasn't been driven in over 6 months, but I get in and fire it up once in a while. Until my eyes start burning. Can't push the clutch in since the big C has taken over my left leg.

Regarding the crash, I have met Greg twice at Concours shows in Irvine, just around the corner from my home. Costa Mesa equally close. In fact he has two CSX cars and one of them is built like a Spec Racer. I think they are both CAV cars built right around the time mine was at SAI. I think he is CSX 4756 or 7. I remember that because the sequence was right next to mine.
The Spec racer was built by Newport Shelby Cobras in Costa Mesa,and it had the highest idle I have ever heard outside of top fuel cars. And loud. I thought mine was loud until I heard his. It was an attention getter. The car in the accident is his other CSX car and I don't have my registry handy but I believe it's CSX number is right around his other one.

I too pray for their speedy recovery, and will let the jury stay out on the alcohol issue for now. Take care guys, and thanks for the kind thoughts and visits I've had from several of you on this forum. Hopefully will be back in the game in the not too distant future.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Here's hoping for your speedy recovery too, Rokndad! Beat that cancer so you can get your Cobra back on the road.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

rokndad, didn't know you were ill! We all know you can beat the C thing. You are in our prayers!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Whether he had been drinking or not, (and I hope not) it is a bit disconcerting that there appears to be relatively little damage to the car for such serious injuries.

rokindad, hope you're well on the road to recovery.

John
Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
...it is a bit disconcerting that there appears to be relatively little damage to the car for such serious injuries.
If you skid out, and come to a complete and abrupt stop by hitting a curb at even 20mph, your head will continue to travel at 20mph, which is roughly 30 feet per second... and it will be stopped by your roll bar. Blunt force trauma to the head of that nature can easily cause severe injuries.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-10-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: typos...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

Pic of Greg and I (Greg middle, me on right) at Cars-n-Coffee in Irvine from a while back. Just praying for a good outcome for Greg and his wife...

Doug
Old 06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If you skid out, and come to a complete and abrupt stop by hitting a curb at even 20mph, your head will continue to travel at 20mph, which is roughly 30 feet per second... and it will be stopped by your roll bar. Blunt force trauma to the head of that nature can easily cause severe injuries.
Use of seat belts and shoulder harnesses are another factor we know nothing about also.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Hi gang, long time no post. Been dealing with cancer and have had a rough time. A shame, my car hasn't been driven in over 6 months, but I get in and fire it up once in a while. Until my eyes start burning. Can't push the clutch in since the big C has taken over my left leg.

Regarding the crash, I have met Greg twice at Concours shows in Irvine, just around the corner from my home. Costa Mesa equally close. In fact he has two CSX cars and one of them is built like a Spec Racer. I think they are both CAV cars built right around the time mine was at SAI. I think he is CSX 4756 or 7. I remember that because the sequence was right next to mine.
The Spec racer was built by Newport Shelby Cobras in Costa Mesa,and it had the highest idle I have ever heard outside of top fuel cars. And loud. I thought mine was loud until I heard his. It was an attention getter. The car in the accident is his other CSX car and I don't have my registry handy but I believe it's CSX number is right around his other one.

I too pray for their speedy recovery, and will let the jury stay out on the alcohol issue for now. Take care guys, and thanks for the kind thoughts and visits I've had from several of you on this forum. Hopefully will be back in the game in the not too distant future.
Hope you recover quickly too!
Now if you need anyone to come by and drive your car...line forms to the right!
Larry