Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427W Oil Capacity

After building a 427W with original front sump oil pan, I filled with 5 quarts of oil, figuring that should be the minimum for an American V8. When I checked the dipstick, it showed a one quart overfill. Now, I'm trying to decide if the dipstick and tube are incorrect for this engine. Or, has the stroker crank with a .67" longer throw and larger diameter counterweights displaced a quart of oil making for the higher reading. The dipstick has a chromed handle, which to me means that it was a replacement. Replacement for what engine? I guess what I need to know is the length of the tube from the block and the distance of the distick "full" mark from the haft at the outside end.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Did you fill the filter first(?) Then put the remainder of the 5 quarts into the engine.
Most of the standard OEM pans are 5 quarts incl filter. That should also hold true for a 351 W from which the 427 W is made from.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-10-2010 at 09:06 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

My 427w takes nine quarts - I put one in the filter and eight in the engine when I change it.

Doug
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

CSXdreamer...
I don't think the crank is taking up space in the oil. It should be well above the oil level.
J
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

My 427 takes nine quarts with filter. It has the T pan.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSXDreamer View Post
After building a 427W with original front sump oil pan, I filled with 5 quarts of oil, figuring that should be the minimum for an American V8. When I checked the dipstick, it showed a one quart overfill. Now, I'm trying to decide if the dipstick and tube are incorrect for this engine. Or, has the stroker crank with a .67" longer throw and larger diameter counterweights displaced a quart of oil making for the higher reading. The dipstick has a chromed handle, which to me means that it was a replacement. Replacement for what engine? I guess what I need to know is the length of the tube from the block and the distance of the distick "full" mark from the haft at the outside end.

Your oil capacity is determined by the oil pan size and the size of your oil filter, nothing else, cubic inches doesn't matter....oil filter size can be from 1 quart for a PH8A to 1.5 quarts for the larger racing filters to 1/2 quart for the shorter filters.....

Over the years Ford has made a number of front sump pans depending on what vehicle they were going to go into,(car/truck/4x4) and the oil capacity could be anywhere from 5 quarts to 7.5 quarts......that's why with an unknown pan, I always fill it with water to see what the capacity is if I'm not 100% sure of it's original capacity....

You need to determine what the capacity of your pan and filter is and put that much oil in the motor, run it a few minutes and shut it down, mark your dipstick using that level as full.......
You would have to put at least 10 quarts in a stock pan for the oil level to hit the crankshaft!!!!!!!!!

If your running a remote filter and/or oil cooler than you have to add that it as well.........

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 06-11-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,

Did you measure the volume for the "sump" part of the pan? I would think that you wouldn't want the volume all the way to the mating surface with the block. That would put the oil somewhat over the centerline of the main bearings, which are in the same plane as the bottom of the block and top of the oil pan. I realize that one now has to add more oil for the filter and remote lines. Thanks for responding.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David,

Did you measure the volume for the "sump" part of the pan? I would think that you wouldn't want the volume all the way to the mating surface with the block. That would put the oil somewhat over the centerline of the main bearings, which are in the same plane as the bottom of the block and top of the oil pan. I realize that one now has to add more oil for the filter and remote lines. Thanks for responding.

Zacctly, I have 2 "stock 5 quart" pans in the shop that I took off known engines, they are front sump pans, 5 quart capacity. If you put one on your workbench, level it best as you can, then add water by the quart, you'll see 5 quarts will pretty much fill the "sump" part, oil level will "generally" be an inch or a little more below the top of the sump part, before it gets on the flat rear portion of the pan.

To fill one of these pans to the block mating surface, you'd probably need 10 quarts!!!!!!!!

Some later model ford pans had one large sump in the front and a smaller sump in the rear, these were used mostly on large passenger cars (cop cars) and 4x4's....

If I'm not 100% sure of the capacity, I check it with water before installing it on the engine, in your case that is not possible right now and without the original dipstick your not sure. I'm guessing you have a "standard" 5 quart pan, maybe if you could post some pictures that would be helpful, if not try to find out what vehicle (year/make/model) the original engine came out of and that would help you to determine the pan capacity.....

David
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

David,

I don't have an extra pan, but I should be able to measure the sump part fairly close enough with a tape measure: Width X Length X Depth X .01732 quarts/cubic inch. If this figures out to be about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts, then I'll know I have a 5 quart pan, with the extra oil going into the oil filter in the stock location. I know I'll need a little more oil with two 3 foot lines from the adapter to the remote oil filter. I can calculate this later.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David,

I don't have an extra pan, but I should be able to measure the sump part fairly close enough with a tape measure: Width X Length X Depth X .01732 quarts/cubic inch. If this figures out to be about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts, then I'll know I have a 5 quart pan, with the extra oil going into the oil filter in the stock location. I know I'll need a little more oil with two 3 foot lines from the adapter to the remote oil filter. I can calculate this later.
CSX;

I just measured a 351-W front sump pan I have in the shop, this came off a 69/70 Cougar...
This is what I found:

The bottom of the sump front to back looks like 8 1/2 inches give or take a 1/4 inch or so.

the sump is 8 1/2 to 9 inches wide at the middle/widest part, the drain plug is on the drivers side of the pan at the rear of the sump.....

also, the sump is a total of 8 inches deep from the top of the pan rail to the middle of the sump which is a pretty a "standard" depth, I checked my notes and a stock 302 pan is the same depth as is my Canton 8 quart road race pan..........

Then I did the "ole water test", 4 quarts in the sump fills it nicely, 5 quarts and the level is starting to creep up the rear slope of the pan, I don't think it would matter much if you ran it to the 5 quart level, I have done so on my 351-W in my Mustang when I was still running the stock/factory pan doing some open track road racing. Was afraid I might get some fluctuations in the oil pressure on long sweeping turns, so I was advised to "just add a quart of oil for insurance" and I did and never had any problems.......

When most folks speak of a "5 quart pan" they are including the filter capacity, so, you need a total of 5 quarts with an oil and filter change, you would actually have 4 quarts in the pan though....

Hope this helps.....

David
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

David,

I got approximately the same measurements laying on my side and reaching in with a tape measure: 8 1/2" X 9" X 4" = 306 in^3/57.75 5.3 quarts. Add another .5 quart for the oil filter and remote lines, and it's almost up to 6 quarts. I think I'll stay with 5 quarts as the 4" height was into the transition slope a little. I should adjust the dipstick some how; shorten it about half an inch from the top, or make a new "Full" mark, or sleeve the D.S. tube to raise it half an inch.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David,

I got approximately the same measurements laying on my side and reaching in with a tape measure: 8 1/2" X 9" X 4" = 306 in^3/57.75 5.3 quarts. Add another .5 quart for the oil filter and remote lines, and it's almost up to 6 quarts. I think I'll stay with 5 quarts as the 4" height was into the transition slope a little. I should adjust the dipstick some how; shorten it about half an inch from the top, or make a new "Full" mark, or sleeve the D.S. tube to raise it half an inch.

If you can, take a measurement from where the pan and block meet, then take a straight egde and put it under the sump and measure the total depth of the pan, just to make sure...if it is 8 inches, then it is the same pan.......Measureing from the bottom of the sump up 4 inches puts mine into the rear slope of the pan and pretty much out of the sump itself........however, I did put 4 quarts of water in the pan and it is between 2 3/4 and 3 inches deep inside the center of the sump........

You should be right on with 4 quarts in the pan plus the filter/lines,if in doubt,add another 1/2 quart.........I would use 4 quarts in the pan + the filter/lines capacity, run the engine for a few minutes, wait a few minutes, check your dipstick and mark it full at that level......I don't cut the tube or dipstick, I just take a small file and file a mark across the dipstick where my "new" full mark should be.......

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 06-16-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

5 quarts does not seem like very much for a 427W. I've got a focus in the driveway with a 2.0 liter engine and it takes 5 quarts! I'd feel much more comfortable with 8 or 9. My 351 takes 9 (including the filter).

Bob
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
5 quarts does not seem like very much for a 427W. I've got a focus in the driveway with a 2.0 liter engine and it takes 5 quarts! I'd feel much more comfortable with 8 or 9. My 351 takes 9 (including the filter).

Bob
Bob;

5 quarts may not seem like a lot, but the pan determines the capacity/quanitity of oil, not cubic inches............90's model Nissan trucks with the V-6 engine hold a total of 3 quarts with filter change...........

My race car has an 8 quart road race pan and with the remote oil filter/cooler (12AN lines and there length) and the 1.5 quart large racing filter, that 331 cu.in. motor holds 11 quarts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 06-16-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I know for our cars 9 quart, 11 quarts seems like a lot. To keep things in perspective a WW II P-51 Mustang has a 55 GALLON oil capacity
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwillia4 View Post
I know for our cars 9 quart, 11 quarts seems like a lot. To keep things in perspective a WW II P-51 Mustang has a 55 GALLON oil capacity

My 6.0 SD Diesel holds 15 quarts of oil, and tha's about 363 cu. in...........

David
Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

David:
I understand how oil capacity is determined. All I'm saying is if I had 427 CI I would prefer to carry more than 5 quarts.

Bob
Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
David:
I understand how oil capacity is determined. All I'm saying is if I had 427 CI I would prefer to carry more than 5 quarts.

Bob

Understood, and I agree with you, I would prefer to see a Canton or similar road race pan on these car with 8 quart capacity or more, also they have the trap does and crank scraper built in which is a very good thing........

David