LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
He is very fortunate. He almost drowned in his first crash when his plane hit some power lines and went down in water. I believe it was a plumber, ( not sure ), who dove in and got him out of the plane and saved his life. Maybe at his age and with two crashes now he should consider doing less flying on his own.

Ron

He was more fortunate than that, a rescue swimmer happened to be Jogging by wittnessed the crash and was able to save him, You average person would most likely not have been able to save him the first time. Talk about pushig it. Jack, first class commercial is not "that" bad
Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The 2002 crash:

" ...... after crashing an experimental aircraft near Troy, Ala., "

"Hicks saw the accident, and without hesitation manned his boat and paddled out to Roush's upside down plane. He dove in, through a layer of jet fuel. On his third dive, he found the cockpit, snapped it open, removed Roush from a harness, pulled him to the surface, revived him, then performed live saving CPR -- all without stable footing. He couldn't touch bottom. "

"He was trained to go down and get pilots out of airplanes," said Roush, obviously choking back tears. "Larry Hicks. How can that be? He tells his wife he loves her, then said he was going to do whatever he can. He jumps in the water with this fool that's just crashed his airplane upside down in eight feet of water. "

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/head...ate/index.html

Prior to the accident a few weeks ago, was mentioned the flight patterns at the event are extremely busy and the accident rate is " higher " than expected. On one of the runways, there are three landings taking place at one time

Last edited by Don; 07-28-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

I have seen a report (of many circulating) he was making an emergency landing. So everything right now is nothing more than speculation and assumptions.

Latest word I see is he may loose his sight in his left eye, if this happens I would think he wll not fly again with limited vision.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
The 2002 crash:

" ...... after crashing an experimental aircraft near Troy, Ala., "

"Hicks saw the accident, and without hesitation manned his boat and paddled out to Roush's upside down plane. He dove in, through a layer of jet fuel. On his third dive, he found the cockpit, snapped it open, removed Roush from a harness, pulled him to the surface, revived him, then performed live saving CPR -- all without stable footing. He couldn't touch bottom. "

"He was trained to go down and get pilots out of airplanes," said Roush, obviously choking back tears. "Larry Hicks. How can that be? He tells his wife he loves her, then said he was going to do whatever he can. He jumps in the water with this fool that's just crashed his airplane upside down in eight feet of water. "

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/head...ate/index.html

Prior to the accident a few weeks ago, was mentioned the flight patterns at the event are extremely busy and the accident rate is " higher " than expected. On one of the runways, there are three landings taking place at one time

I would imagine this guy drives around with ROUSH engines in his daily driver, and will for life, compliments of Jack.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
One more thing. I've long been opposed to the military doing aerial flight demonstations at airshows. I've seen too many good pilots crash and die rather than suffer the embarrassment of abandoning a bad approach in front of an audience.
Sadly, my point was made again yesterday when a C-17 crashed in Alaska while practicing for an airshow. It appears that all four crew members died. What makes the tragedy even worse is that the generals who pick crews for airshow demos generally pick from among the best aviators in the unit.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

Jack needs to quit while he's ahead. Clearly he doesn't know how to fly planes. Build race cars, maybe. Fly planes, no way!!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsullivan View Post
Jack needs to quit while he's ahead. Clearly he doesn't know how to fly planes. Build race cars, maybe. Fly planes, no way!!
Interesting remark since you can clearly see all the facts of the incident in question here on this board....

Do a search on the internet I am sure you could probably find some footage somewhere of Jack Roush flying his P51 Mustang. He is an experienced Pilot.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i wouldn't contest the good pilot, but he let himself get into a situation without an "out". prior to the incident he should have asked himself if he had a way to get out of the situation, go around or whatever. got himself into a corner and paid the price.

just another back seat driver.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All I am saying is people are making convictions before they even know the facts of the situation.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I am not a pilot and have absolutely no training to be one but I did hear a clip of the radio conversation leading up to the landing it sounds like someone else may have put him in a position without an out. The conversation sounded to me like there was another plane in a pattern that conflicted with Roush's. he even asked the controller to confirm that there would not be a problem with the two aircraft and then he expressed some concern. I am almost certainly missing something, I usually am, but it seems like there is more to this story.

Brandon
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

If the engines are running and both wings are on the a/c, there is an out to any situation
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It may be the best "out" in this situation was a controlled crash landing. I've heard it said any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Sometimes race car drivers are faced with a bad "out" as well. Hit the wall, hit another car for less damage all around, run off the track and risk a roll over? Split second decisions are easy to second guess once the smoke has cleared.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

ride the bus....Jack
public transportation isnt that bad.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

Last I heard was he was transfered to Mayo clinic in Minnesota I'm at EAA all week. Jim
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie---the differance between racing a car and flying a plane---in a car you can't change the altitude your operating at---you can only steer right, go straight,turn left---spin, yes, but that is only a way of slowing down/stopping---

Flying---you can't slow down or you will stop flying---you can change altitude by a few feet to a huge amount---

About the radio tapes-----as a pilot, you must fly the plane---as a controller-they have never ever crashed a desk----you cannot let a controller control your a/c, they only issue clearances

And with that -----this accident could of happened to thousands of pilots in the same situation if they had let the contrllers fly the planes from there desk---not just Jack

Last edited by Jerry Clayton; 07-30-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good points Jerry. What I was "driving" at is that a guy who has an incident flying/landing should not be automatically written off as a bad pilot. He may have gained valuable experience as a result and be an even better than average pilot afterward. Then again, looking at McCains military service flight record, you have to wonder why they allow some folks to keep flying...

Now, maybe McCain was just unlucky, more than a few times, whatever, you gotta wonder why they didn't pull his license "just because" if for no other reason!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By the way, McCain was an "Ace" when it comes to flying incidents, three crashes before Vietnam, two in conflict. The last of which resulted in his becoming a prisoner of war.

Yet, those who flew with him said he was a great pilot, his nerves and courage unrattled by "incidents", he liked to fly "on the edge" and quite possibly gained valuable insight because of the miss haps. I guess, just sayin'...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie---flying a combat a/c and a civilian a/c are hard to compare

Probably in a combat situation, if you haven't beeb shot down you weren't getting close enough to your target

I would say that Roush surviving getting rescued from under water is probably on a par with McCains Carrier fire ordeal----
Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

So this guy is out taking pictures at the airport and Jack Roush decides to drop by.....

http://jalopnik.com/5602493/

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Ernie---the differance between racing a car and flying a plane
in a car you can't change the altitude your operating at---you can only steer right, go straight,turn left---spin, yes, but that is only a way of slowing down/stopping---

Flying---you can't slow down or you will stop flying---you can change altitude by a few feet to a huge amount---

About the radio tapes-----as a pilot, you must fly the plane---as a controller-they have never ever crashed a desk----you cannot let a controller control your a/c, they only issue clearances

And with that -----this accident could of happened to thousands of pilots in the same situation if they had let the contrllers fly the planes from there desk---not just Jack

Tell Carl and Brad that and I'll bet they will disagree.