Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   My Cobra dream is over - half finished Contemporary high end build for sale (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/106110-my-cobra-dream-over-half-finished-contemporary-high-end-build-sale.html)

RodKnock 08-11-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1070802)
That's the nicest offer that's come off this site in a long, long time. Especially from an erectile dysfunction physician.:3DSMILE: Say Chas, maybe you could get a discount on those funny looking little blue pills you covet?

I thought for sure you were going to "rain on his parade" with thoughts of property damage insurance, additional insured endorsements with primary wording and waiver of subrogation. :LOL:

patrickt 08-11-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1070803)
I thought for sure you were going to "rain on his parade" with thoughts of property damage insurance, additional insured endorsements with primary wording and waiver of subrogation. :LOL:

Not this time. I'm here to help him, if I at all can.

RodKnock 08-11-2010 04:16 PM

Not even some obscure ceremony performed in medieval England that effected the transfer of land from one party to another? Patrick has a heart? I think the sky is falling.

Just kidding. I hope Doug works towards the proper solution for him and him alone.

dcdoug 08-11-2010 04:34 PM

I have another idea:

-Sell the 390
-Nick will work with you to finish the car at a discount rate
-Maybe the local cobra owners can help him out
-A bunch of us chip in to cover the rest

PM me if you are interested in this approach. I have more details.

I also like the idea of the build party, but this might be easier and more expedient.

What do you think?

767Jockey 08-11-2010 04:44 PM

All,

I waited for a while to respond because I don't want to come across as emotional and whiny, although doubtlessly I will. I was sent a lengthy PM from a man whom I have never met, yet who’s words hit home for their sincerity, concern and kindness. Paul, thank you so much. Not being much of a writer, I lifted some of the thoughts that I wrote back to him and inserted some of them here, because I got lucky and came up with words to express my gratitude to him, and they ring true for all of you as well.

That being said, I can't tell you all how moving it is to read all the kind things that you've all said. I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the outpouring of concern from everyone here. It is indeed very hard to give up on this project, as it is truly the dream of a young boy from West Islip, NY, who would look for hours at the pictures of a blue and white Cobra on his wall. I promised myself way back then that one day I would have one just like it. In some small way, the promise was kept. I have explored high and low a way to get this car done. I even looked for a way to get it done so that I could drive it, if even for a week, and then sell it. However, at the end of the day my finances have been driven to a point where I simply cannot afford to keep it any longer. The costs for treatment will be high, and I promised my children and my ex that I would help pay for college and the last thing I want to do is go back on my word to my daughter. Both expenses are large, not negotiable, and coming up quicker than I would like to see.

So, the bottom line is this: the offers for help and storage are generous beyond words, and appreciated more than I can ever say. However, as unpolished as it may sound, I simply need the money at this point in my life. Getting this treatment and getting my daughter to college is my priority right now. I can't very well enjoy the car if I'm not alive to drive it. I am resolute that I will work as hard as I need to, as long as I need to, to get myself, my life and my health back on track. I'm in a rough place in life right now, but I have every hope and confidence that I will emerge from this ordeal a stronger and better man than the one who entered. It's an unfortunate fact of life that not everything always works itself out on it's own. I need to buckle down and get this done, and that means I need to sell my car. Heartbreaking, yes, but necessary as well.

Alas, none of us have an inherent entitlement to these wonderful toys. Between choices made in life and fate encountered as life goes on, some of us find ourselves to be in a position to be able to financially afford these wonderful machines, and some of us can only dream. I was once in a position to be able to fulfill the dream, now due to fate and choices I've made in life I am no longer in such a position. I go on with the hope that this one day will change, and the dream will re-present itself. Thanks to you all for the kind words and the generous offers to help. I will never forget the kindness that has been sent my way on these few posts. On a dark and sad day for me you brought me a bit of sunshine, and I thank you all so much for that. Believe me, I can use all that I can get. Thank you to all, I am at a loss for words to express my gratitude and admiration for you all. I must simply settle on thank you.

If anyone knows of someone who may be interested in the car, please send them my way.
Again, thank you to you all.

Doug

CobraEd 08-11-2010 04:51 PM

If there was a fund created by Club Cobra members, would you be comfortable putting it aside for the completion of your car?

If so, I for one am ready to move in that direction if everyone agrees.

dcdoug 08-11-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraEd (Post 1070814)
If there was a fund created by Club Cobra members, would you be comfortable putting it aside for the completion of your car?

I am in and was thinking the same thing.

86Sebring 08-11-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraEd (Post 1070814)

count me in as well

vector1 08-11-2010 05:21 PM

sorry for your illness 767. i'm sure someone shopping for a build project will see this and help you out. good luck.

289fia_cobra 08-11-2010 05:28 PM

This is a sobering thread and I will say this in light of the response by the poster:

Since many of you were so willing to help Doug out, maybe one of you can still grant him one thing that might just make his day or life: let him drive one. That's all I have to add. He might not ever get the chance again. If I was in the NY area, I would. Just a suggestion.

Doug: if money is the issue, the big block should go because that alone will generate well over $10K if you get the right buyer. Good luck on both the sale and your health.

1985 CCX 08-11-2010 06:06 PM

Doug

Hope all changes for the better for you soon........

jhv48 08-11-2010 06:11 PM

Remember this:

Student loans are plentiful for College students.

You don't have to sell everything to put your kids through College.

You can finance an education, but you can't finance your retirement.

Ehren 08-11-2010 06:22 PM

There is hope for humanity yet. I'm amazed by everyone's generosity.

patrickt 08-11-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehren (Post 1070840)
There is hope for humanity yet. I'm amazed by everyone's generosity.

If DCDoug spearheads it, I'll send him a generous check. And BTW, I still think SPF, BDR & FFR cars look funny and basically suck.:p

tkb289 08-11-2010 06:35 PM

Doug,

I am also one of the many that has followed your thread and am saddened as well by your circumstances and your having to postpone your dream. It also sounds like not one kid headed to college, but more and I understand the commitment to family.

There are a lot of great suggestions and wonderful offers of help here. If there is a CC fund to complete the car ... count me in too.

Dreams are important to hang on to, so really take some time to let this all sink in and weigh the different options.

I wish all the best with your health, family and finances.

- Tim

dcdoug 08-11-2010 06:37 PM

If 767jockey will let us help, I think we can. PM me or post something here if you want to make a donation of money or services (if you are in the Northeast).

767Jockey 08-11-2010 06:51 PM

Guys, I am literally speechless. I literally don't know what to say. I have to absorb all this, I'll drop back in later tonight. I have never accepted help in my life, and I just don't know what to do.

ZOERA-SC7XX 08-11-2010 07:16 PM

767, Cobras are just toys, (although they are among the best). Your family and your health are the most important, for without either the toys don't mean all that much. Get yourself well, and find a way to send your kid to college on a budget. There are lots of grants for kids these days and it's no sin for a kid to work part time to help pay for their tuition. As far as the wife goes, they are the easiest to replace, and you can always get another Cobra when the time is right. Good luck and keep the faith.

patrickt 08-11-2010 07:18 PM

... and I'm starting to believe that there's an inverse relationship between intelligence and how many diplomas you have up on the wall.:cool:

timsullivan 08-11-2010 07:21 PM

A friend in need is a friend indeed?

You're story touched me because I've been where you are at with different circumstances so I can relate to you. I'm on the Left Coast so I can't offer any labor or building services help. But I can and will offer my prayers (though I'm not a particularly religious person I do understand the power of prayer) and would love to make a small, emphasis on small, financial contribution to help out a fellow Cobra brother. Do you have a Paypal account? If not, why not set one up?