Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie picking a kit. Good/Bad/Awful

Thinking about purchasing a used (ready to drive) Cobra but I'm very new to all the different kits. Some seem to have a nice, fat, flared quarter panel/rear tire area, and some seem kind of narrow/flat. For instance, look at the difference between the red cobra and the blue cobra in the "CLUB COBRA" icon in the top left corner of the page. I love the back end flare of the blue one... while the red seems less flared. So, which kits are going to give me what I'm looking for and which kits should I really stay away from? I'm familiar with Superperformance and Factory Five, but thats the extent of things. I would like to spend $30K or less for a used (complete) one. I have nice 69 Camaro and I've thought about trading or selling it.

Last edited by STM1969; 09-02-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would call around a bit and listen to what they're telling you, carefully. There will be a big difference between some paid salesman who knows little to nothing about what he's SELLING and the guy who is telling you ABOUT the kit. It will be fairly easy to rule out certain companies. Then all you have to decide is which manufacturer to go with. So far , Hurricane is my front runner but I'm still looking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I think that the flair of my Midstates is just about right but since it is such a personal decision I would say that you just have to check out as many as possible. What area are you in? There are cruises and shows that have a variety of examples. If you are in the Denver area I can give you a few pointers on who to talk to or where you can see the most diversity.

Brandon
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM1969 View Post
Thinking about purchasing a used (ready to drive) Cobra but I'm very new to all the different kits. Some seem to have a nice, fat, flared quarter panel/rear tire area, and some seem kind of narrow/flat. For instance, look at the difference between the red cobra and the blue cobra in the "CLUB COBRA" icon in the top left corner of the page.
The red car is a 289FIA, the blue car is a 427. Different flares...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Start some serious researching

Make sure you check out some books with a complete history of Cobras. The 'slabside', 289, FIA, 427 (SC and street versions) and engines.
When I bought my SPF, which was a great car, it had a small block. Didn't think it was important. With time, it became important! Be honest with yourself. Are you the type of guy who really gets into things? You can get big block power from a small block AND reliability and low maintenance with a big block. I don't think anybody really needs one over the other. Unless you're a purist, or ask that knawing feeling inside...
But with a budget of 30k your options will be a bit limited, again, depending on what you want. But make sure you know what your looking for first. I don't mean to sound like a holistic nut, but if you 'put it out there', something will come around in time. And don't short change the step you're at now. It's a fun one. I'm on my 3rd Cobra and I keep on looking just for fun. Plus, mrmustang and a few others seem to know a lot about the used market and they've been at it for a while.
Good Luck,
rodneym
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona Coupe, 347, 545 FWHP T56 6-Speed.
Not Ranked     

I think the best and most complete kit on the market for under 25k is the new Factory Five MkIV. Almost a duplicate of an original 427SC. I wish I could afford a new one and I would be all over it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Of course, everyone is going to pick the one they have. (That's why they bought it!) But my preference is B&B's kit for the price that you are talking about.
http://www.bandbroadster.com/roadster.htm
Also, you're wanting a 427 like stated above.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

A 390 is also OK if you want an FE V8. Plenty of power, reliable, and durable. Very few people can tell the difference from the outside (and a 390, from the outside, is identical to the 428 that was installed in roughly two-thirds of the original Cobra 427 cars).

By the way, using the original bore and stroke measurements of the engines, the 390 is an honest 390. The 427 is really a 425, and the 428 is really . . . . are you ready for this? . . . . a 427!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
A 390 is also OK if you want an FE V8. Plenty of power, reliable, and durable. Very few people can tell the difference from the outside (and a 390, from the outside, is identical to the 428 that was installed in roughly two-thirds of the original Cobra 427 cars).

By the way, using the original bore and stroke measurements of the engines, the 390 is an honest 390. The 427 is really a 425, and the 428 is really . . . . are you ready for this? . . . . a 427!!!
So I should advertise my 428 as a 427? How many of the 4 versions of the 427 were actually different? Side oiler and center oiler were the 2 main differences not including the cammer SOHC motor that I know about.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

You can also look at kits that other guys have bought and spent time finding parts and pieces to finish but have lost the will power or the funds and want to sell it. Although those deals are hard to find they are out there. You have to have patience. I chose to buy an older kit that was built in the 80's and needed to be reborn. It would crank and run great but the clutch was out and it needed wiring issues fixed. I have less than 30 big one's in it and it's fast and fun. If you are real specific about what you want that might not be an option for you.
Just my 2 cents
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I doubt many Mark IV FFR's are for sale at a decent used price, thats a fairly new offering. I'd give it another year or so before I'd start looking there.

For $30K, used, you will have to make some compromises as to what you want, gotta have, need, etc. More like, what will you settle for. One thing you might consider is a incomplete kit, someone started and didn't finish. Usually a very good price, BUT, man the dollars can add up fast depending on the deal, which may not be a "deal" after all when your done! Of course, if it's incomplete enough you could build it to your specs.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

You can find "ready to drive" Factory Fives all day long for under $30k. Assembling / building is another matter altogether. FFR is a great "first cobra" and kit for someone doing a build. Lots of them are. If you were to buy a running FFR at the right price you could get a taste for what this is all about, get to know other cars, what you like / don't like - then sell it for "the one" whether you decide to do a build or move to something different. The things that are important to me now in doing another cobra are different from when I did my first FFR. I have Kirkham / ERA taste but a Factory Five budget. With all of these kits it's possible to end up with a nice car.

http://erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

http://erareplicas.com/differ/index.htm
Old 09-04-2010, 04:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
So I should advertise my 428 as a 427? How many of the 4 versions of the 427 were actually different? Side oiler and center oiler were the 2 main differences not including the cammer SOHC motor that I know about.
Low, med, high,and tunnelport heads on top those blocks.....The old adage you get what you pay for rings true.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-04-2010, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Some good advice in the comments above. I suggest you do a lot of research regarding all the kits available these days. Determine what power your really want..big block or small block, trans etc. and then decide if you want to build it yourelf (ground up) or take a chance on a used one.
Checkout Cobra Country on a regular basis and you can see what folks are asking these days for their respective rides. You can find FFR's starting in the mid 20's and go up to Kirkams and CSX cars for over 100 K.
Go slow......Good luck, and have fun.
Bill
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Definitely check out cobra clubs in your area and go to some events / shows meetings. In the below $30 range .. you will find quite a few Factory Fives .. and there are some really nice ones out there - depends GREATLY on who built it!!! Could be 100% donor car parts or 100% new parts. Need to be careful. You COULD buy a Backdraft roller - sans motor and tranny - for under $30. And complete as you have $$ for a motor, trans. At least that way you know you have a good, solid car - all new parts. And you have that reliability for resale. You might find a Unique - solid body - good chassis - IRS Jag rear...in that range if you really hunt. Worth ... once you do your research and understand the differnces between FFR, Unique, ERA, Superformance, Backdraft, Kirkham, CSX, Hurricane - putting an ad in Cobra Country "wanted cobra - with your criteria". You have NO IDEA how many people are sitting on a car they would like to move but are hesitant to advertise because of the economy. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Do your research. You are where most start out once they decide they have to have one. Don't jump in too quick or you "may" not end up happy with your choice. There are many variations of the cobra 260,289,289FIA, USRRC, 427 Street, 427 SC, 427 Comp just to name the major differences. & there are many variances within those cars.
There are many different replica cars made. Many companies have gone by the wayside for one reason or another. Some are still producing cars. Some for decades now. As there are many variances with the Original cars there are even more with the different Replica MFGs. If you want to be really happy with your choice start digging in, try to figure out all these little nuances. If you have specific questions about a certain car, don't be afraid to ask. This website is likely to be your best resource for Cobra & Cobra Replica information. Be patient & have fun with it. Buy some books & learn as much about the history of these cars as you can. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Every so often look at selling prices of cars,ones that interest me try and look them over in person.Mainly to see if they reflect the asking price.Not all kits are made the same.Some are very basic transportation,others have a lot of neat features.Godd Luck and have fun finding your Cobra.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have you seen this thread? It may help, or not.

What the hell is this thing, Cobra ?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

where are you located?

I'm sure that there are a group of guys near you with different "makes" for you to take a look at in person to really see the differences in person.

While $30K is a lot of money for a toy, it will also rule out many of the the companies.
While not a complete list, I think you'll be looking at mostly (not in any order)

Factory Five
Hurricane
Midstates
Shell Valley
B&B
Street Beasts
Lone Star

I'm sure there's more, but it should give you a starting point. Each have their good and bad points, only you can decide which is the best model for you
Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&b

Take a few minutes to look at the B&B website www.bandbroadster.com go over to the owners group photo section to look at as many cobra's as you have time for, we offer an all new turnkey cobra no doner parts all new 302 crate engine 5 speed trans tubular front and rear suspension any color you want ceramic headers and sidepipes chrome roll bar original style cobra wheels ready to drive home 34,500 please give me a call at 417 472-3547 if you have any questions.
Bryan Anderson
B&B mfg.