Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/108904-drag-race-kirkham-65-side-oiler-vs-ferrari-458-italia.html)

tommygold 02-09-2011 03:58 AM

All --I don't think that's Blitz's car, but those are definitely his tires. What is a new set of those going to be like to drag in?

Buzz 02-09-2011 06:07 AM

Folks this will be more of a race than it initially appeared. Tommy and Blitz - Can you post confirmation of date and location? If I can swing the getaway time on short notice (a bit of an "IF" with all the other stuff going on), I will fly up from St. Lucia just to see it happen.

tommygold 02-09-2011 06:20 AM

Buzz et al - we definitely post the info when we get it. Did you hear something from KC?

Buzz 02-09-2011 06:36 AM

Thanks Tommy - if I can confirm in time, it will be a great excuse for a quick getaway to Vegas. No, I didnt hear from KC, but now that I see who the opposition is, I don't think he's likely to be an easy stake. You know him well, but unless he's just plain nuts, it seems unlikely he'd stumble into a sucker bet - he's a poker player after all!:LOL:

DMXF 02-09-2011 06:55 AM

tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1108656)
All --I don't think that's Blitz's car, but those are definitely his tires. What is a new set of those going to be like to drag in?

You are handicapping him substantially as he may be able to get into the 11's with those tires, but that is not what he needs to compete with you. They aren't even as good as the vintage 60's road race tires like are still available today (6.00's & 8.00's). Blitz's tires were made in old dirt track bias ply molds with a relatively hard compound to be run on the street as a period look tire. Their only performance advantage is being decent in some degree of water. You need to let him run the DOT Mickey Thompson radial slicks. Those are no where near the same as a real wrinkle wall dragster slick, but would allow Blitz to have a chance and make the race fun and interesting. Anything less and you are setting him up.

Excaliber 02-09-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Anything less and you are setting him up.
I agree.

I don't think Blitz is running Goodyear Bill Boards, his comment earlier noted a "grooved slick" of some kind. Likely a DOT legal street slick. Not a snow balls chance in hell with the Bill Boards, no way he can win, wouldn't even be a race worth watching in my opinion.

FRESH, DOT legal street drag tires at the very least. Wrinkle walls would help level the field and make it a real race. Tommy's traction control with the stock Ferrari tires would STILL be equal to wrinkle wall's.

Buzz 02-09-2011 08:18 AM

If y'all think blitzforce is gonna be a pushover - think again.

It's still going to be a hell of a task to win one race against Tommy and his Ferrari, but let's just leave it at saying blitzforce is no newbie wannabe who bought one-a-them Cobra cars so he could be the king of the local show'n shine. (And his car is no garage-queen slouch either)

http://hotlink.myspacecdn.com/images...f17e95ea/m.jpg

Mdman352 02-09-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-CEL (Post 1108490)
A set of drag radials will change the way you look at and drive your Cobra. They are the best thing since... well big block Cobras!!

Jason

:D:D:D
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...tt-3757r_w.jpg

Mdman352 02-09-2011 09:00 AM

Flush

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzforce (Post 1108550)
And the race is on March 2nd if either driver isn't ready its a 50k penalty and if they don't have the full bet amount in cash they forfeit the entire bet.

So.... what IS the bet????:confused:

tommygold 02-09-2011 09:16 AM

We haven't publicly said what the bet is; it's a lot.

Mdman352 02-09-2011 09:17 AM

Boys,
A fair race would be the Cobra on drag radials and the Ferrari sans the traction assist. THAT would be fair. Heads up race IMHO.

RodKnock 02-09-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1108703)
We haven't publicly said what the bet is; it's a lot.

Since we're speculating on everything else.....

Well, the logic isn't sound :LOL:, but if the IRS charges a 10% penalty for filing late taxes, I would say that the bet is $500,000, if there's a $50,000 penalty. :confused: **) :rolleyes:

tommygold 02-09-2011 12:17 PM

I think the IRS penalty is something like 4% for failing to file quarterly taxes, but I wouldn't use any logic like that. :)

I appreciate all the suggestions about what would make this race "fair," and all I can say is that those all make their way right on to my list of things I would never, ever agree to in a million years. I'm not looking for a fair fight; I'm looking to win.

But to be clear, after the race with the bet is done, Blitz can put whatever he wants on the car and we'll run it for pride.

rjbh20 02-09-2011 12:46 PM

A regular riot, this fellow. Sure reflects well on the Cobra hobby

“Blitz? He’s a blast” says fellow Team Victory member Andrew Robl. “He once wanted to go to a Halloween party but didn’t have a costume. So he and a buddy pulled over his car, blitz opened his trunk, pulled out some camo pants and a machine gun and rolled up in the party with a loaded machine gun. After getting drunk and letting girls play with the loaded gun his boys ex-filed him w/o incident

tommygold 02-09-2011 01:53 PM

There's absolutely no question that Blitz could arrive at this event packing serious heat. An anti-aircraft rifle is not out of the question. That's just the openng bid.

ZOERA-SC7XX 02-09-2011 02:24 PM

Blitz should import in a tuning mechanic capable of getting the best out of the Kirkham (and a little launch coaching). With all that cash on the line, it would be a no-brainer. And for God's sake, buy some tires and use racing gas. A capable Cobra mechanic will put you right.

N2VENOM 02-09-2011 02:33 PM

Blitz, your head is going to explode with so many people giving you bench racing advice. In your line of work, you probably have hired consultants now and again. Take advice from only those who have raced 1/4 mile in a cobra. Hire Keith Craft to come down to consult, tune and train you.. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare..... Be safe!

tommygold 02-09-2011 02:41 PM

Sorry, no -- part of the bet was we couldn't get a coach.

ZOERA-SC7XX 02-09-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1108783)
Sorry, no -- part of the bet was we couldn't get a coach.

Your launch control is your coach. Unplug the thing and then it's a fair fight.

CoolCarl 02-09-2011 02:57 PM

Not getting a coach...is that for game day only? Coming here and getting bench tips is kinda like getting coached.

Can either one of you get coached during practice in the days and weeks prior to the actual race?