Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/108904-drag-race-kirkham-65-side-oiler-vs-ferrari-458-italia.html)

Jamo 02-11-2011 12:43 AM

Let's cut to the chase...you guys gonna have umbrella girls?

Intouch 02-11-2011 02:20 AM

here's my superformance with a roush 427 IR running against an F430 with F1 tranny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzzZqdRIiw

undy 02-11-2011 03:28 AM

Dan!

Repeat after me........ D-R-A-G ..... R-A-D-I-A-L-S !

I've lifted both front tires before on a street launch with my Keith Craft, Pond aluminum block, 482", dual quad, stage II head Cobra. They CAN hook well, well enough to twist the ends on some 9" 28 spline axles:3DSMILE: I've never had my car to the track though, all the carnage has been generated by street driving.

I'm running 315/35/17 M/T ET drag radials. They, or any other reputable drag radial, will hook better than any Billboards or "track type" tire could ever hope to do at the drags. The 35 aspect ratio series drag radials actually seems to do right well in the twisties too, much better than a regular street tire. They in no way can be considered "slicks" either.

Voyager 02-11-2011 04:50 AM

I agree with undy. I don’t see the Cobra hooking up off the line without drag radials.

tin-man 02-11-2011 05:00 AM

Awesome, however.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109134)
Thanks RK. So folks, is it dual quads and state 2 or state 3 heads?

And STL Mark, I can't tell who you think should be buying out. You voted that I would lose, but because I would mess it up.

Test runs set for Maryland International Raceway Tuesday morning. One of your own already plans to be on hand. Video is probable.

can the video be other than on Utube, sorry guys, Utube is banned in China? Just askin' John AKA, tin-man Zhuhai, P.R.C

JBCOBRA 02-11-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intouch (Post 1109153)
here's my superformance with a roush 427 IR running against an F430 with F1 tranny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzzZqdRIiw

Excellent!
sounds great too

Mdman352 02-11-2011 06:49 AM

Where the rubber hits the road....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickd (Post 1106225)
A google search showed a 2009 458 Italia (3042 pounds, 562 hp @ 9000 rpm, 400 FTlbs torque @ 6000 rpm; 7 speed trans) posting 1/4 mile times of 10.8. The 60's technology driveline will be the issue here. If the Ferrari driver is experienced at all with that tranny etc. (mid engine - weight in the perfect spot), it should handily beat the cobra. Two totally different sounds - would love to have a sound track of THAT race.

Please find listed below accurate times for the Ferrari 458 Italia:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ferrari-458...lip-21674.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...b3d5e4aad0.pdf

Other data to be considered:

The Ferrari weighs 500# more than the Kirkham. :cool:
The Kirkham has supposedly more horsepower. :D
The Ferrari has traction control. :D
The Kirkham will be using billboards. :eek:

Other data to be considered....
http://www.web-cars.com/math/accel1.pl

For those doubters....there will be HD verification :3DSMILE:

jdean 02-11-2011 07:28 AM

Tin-man, if your car is ready, take it to the race and offer to race the winner whoever it is. If your Cobra is tuned up properly, and with drag radials, I think you would win with the automatic. And you don't have to be an A-list driver to do it. No doubt.

d_ford 02-11-2011 08:25 AM

Wow. I was away for one day and this thread jumped 6 pages! I haven't posted on here much since I haven't had a cobra in several years but I check it every few days anyhow. Since this thread started I've been on here almost every day. Great thread and I'm looking forward to the results of the race and hopefully some video. Be safe guys.

tin-man 02-11-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdean (Post 1109202)
Tin-man, if your car is ready, take it to the race and offer to race the winner whoever it is. If your Cobra is tuned up properly, and with drag radials, I think you would win with the automatic. And you don't have to be an A-list driver to do it. No doubt.

jdean, Yep, it sure is tempting, fact is I had thought about that notion, ceptin' three points: 1) I have no track time experience, 2) I have a great deal of respect for the power my Cobra has and, 3) these two young Turks are way outa my league. I am also mindful if I make one error, like popping a wheelie right outa the gate, as we saw in a recent post, due to the torque and drag radial combination I could crash and burn big time and that's not part of my life plan since I got one more factory to build in China and then I retire.

That said, this notion is certainly compelling and perhaps there are several people on this site who would jump at the chance. But such an idea while arguably taking this event to an absolute mind blowing conclusion would require the approval of the race sponsors, Tommy and Dan and I am not sure their egos could handle one of us working class stiffs from Club Cobra cleaning their clock and handing them their face. Chinese concept of loss of face, i.e. when yer gets yer ass kicked big time an' there just ain't no place to go.

Well Tommy and Dan, games on?

Are you guys ready to see how its done, can yer take da heat when yer lose?:D:LOL::eek:

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man, Zhuhai, P.R.C.

Jamo 02-11-2011 09:07 AM

tin-man

I would imagine you must be somewhat culturally enlightened given your work in Asia, but referring to an Armenian as a "Young Turk"???

...just sayin :p

tin-man 02-11-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamo (Post 1109215)
tin-man

I would imagine you must be somewhat culturally enlightened given your work in Asia, but referring to an Armenian as a "Young Turk"???

...just sayin :p

Wow, mea culpa, I was not aware of that, I am sorry if I have offended anyone, it was not my intent at all. Young Turks in my neck of the woods are considered cutting edge business guys and is considered a compliment. Can I change the post???? tin-man

Jamo 02-11-2011 09:48 AM

Hehehe...just having some fun at your expense...the phrase is, as you say, used frequently in the manner you are familiar with...just a bit funny when talking about a Hye (Armenian for an Armenian).

Turk, one of the old-time members here at CC (he was never young enough to be a Young Turk :p) and one of my bestest friends, would be giggling his ass off right now.

:3DSMILE:

tommygold 02-11-2011 09:50 AM

Yah tin-man, that's nothing compared to the insults that are regularly hurled at Blitz.

392cobra 02-11-2011 10:00 AM

Great thread and going to be a Great Race.

I heard that the term that Tin Man is using used to be "Young Armenians" but some how the Turks changed it.:confused:

tin-man 02-11-2011 10:01 AM

Am I relieved.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109222)
Yah tin-man, that's nothing compared to the insults that are regularly hurled at Blitz.

well gents, I was sweating it a bit and feeling bad that I may have inadvertantly offended somebody, but now that Jamo set me straight and Tommy has explained that Blitz gets significantly more insults, I can rest.:o:o:o:o

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man

otomix 02-11-2011 10:03 AM

Clarification

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2VENOM (Post 1109118)
I know the previous owner and we drove our kirkhams to an event. It is a 482 unless there was a engine swap in the last 2 years. Darren

The engine and all components have not been changed / are the same as when Dan purchased the car. The engine is designated a Ford 427 authentic FE Alloy Shelby 510, with TKO 6000 Trans. The good luck for Dan, (as he had no idea of the build sheet) is he does not have an typical 427 or 482. Fun fact, the car 0 - 60 time was 3sec - and clocked 160+mph once and felt on the edge of air borne- I then sold the car.. KC built the motor and he is has agreed to be silent until after the race (if there is one). I will tell you from my in-depth study - he is the BEST and a first class gentlemen...

Either way, whether 500 - 600 or 700+hp he who fumbles or breaks will lose....
The better driver will prevail..

Jamo 02-11-2011 10:08 AM

You know Fred (392Cobra), I often wondered something about your avatar...do they swing in the opposite direction for our members in Australia?

RodKnock 02-11-2011 10:08 AM

It appears that "The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3" is making a bit of a run at the moment.

I read something funny in the current issue of Keith Martin's Sport Car Market magazine. In an editorial response to a reader's letter to the magazine about the magazine's Ferrari writer bashing the Ferrari 3.2 Mondial as a POS, the editorial response states the Ferrari F430, the 458 Italia's predecessor, is already considered "so yesterday's news."

So, my question for Tommy is, when are your going to get rid of the Italia and move up to Cobra? The Cobra never goes out of style. ;) :cool: :p

tin-man 02-11-2011 10:36 AM

[quote=RodKnock;1109229]It appears that "The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3" is making a bit of a run at the moment.

Temporary at best, look at the facts, Dan will be loaded for bear when the day comes, will know exactly what his beast can do and will take the Ferrari in at least one race, thus he gets to take Tommy's money and all the braggin' rights that goes with the win. Whereas, Tommy, being a fine upstandin' gent n'all, and ever so mindful of the next Supreme Court argument he's currently working on plus the fact he's on the fast track to becoming one of the most sought after litigation attorneys in Washington D.C. will have this thought at the back of his mind at the exact time he decides to floor it, thus, he messes up and loses the race.

RodKnock, given each car has a fightin' chance its a drivers race, and it will all boil down to who can out do the other person in the pre race psych. wars.:eek::eek::eek: IMHO.

Cheers, John AKA, tin-man