Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/108904-drag-race-kirkham-65-side-oiler-vs-ferrari-458-italia.html)

tommygold 02-10-2011 04:17 PM

Your boy Bltz

Ladies and Gentlemen, here he is in the Cobra -- roughly 2/3 of the way through, he gets it up to around 30 miles an hour and complains that it gets loose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdXz8suWSA.

And here, he blows up an RV with an anti-aircraft rifle. Standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJqpKHyqik.

And here, he shoots a friend. Usual day at the office: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Z-ap21xSo.

Buzz 02-10-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACademic (Post 1109048)
The commentary here has run the entire spectrum from informative to hilarious to assinine. Which is why we keep coming back for more. :LOL:

I take full responsibility for the ass o' nine part! :3DSMILE:

computerworks 02-10-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109046)
Moderator may not have understood that Otomyx was referring back to another helpful offer to tape the race, not promoting a service.

Moderator understands...always.

The link to a promo site was edited out of his post.

fastd 02-10-2011 05:01 PM

in that video, dan said that his cobra had 800 HP. I'm just sayin'.

otomix 02-10-2011 05:24 PM

Details

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1108993)
Otomix -- tell us the details of the car. Dan honestly doesn't even know.

Out of courtesy to tommygold I will post...

Yes Dan purchased car without full knowledge - and he is some what a no fear guy, when he left my house I led him on the freeway - he passed me about 120mph on non warmed up Goodyear Billboards with one hand on the wheel and one hand thumbs up. All I can say is the engine is a Shelby 427 Side Oiler with dual carbs. I never raced the car in any way, it was essentially just broken in with 1,500 easy miles. Like this year's Super Bowl or most high level competitive sports, he who fumbles will lose. A great high stakes Bet......tommygold has less to worry about, however must win 3 times..

Dimis 02-10-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otomix (Post 1109073)
Yes Dan purchased car without full knowledge - and he is some what a no fear guy, ....

Ahhhh... Me thinks this just loaded the odds in favor of Tommy.

No Fear = No Respect = Cobra WILL kill you!
%/%/%/

There is every chance that with this cavalier attitude races 2 and 3 will be had in a canter by the prancing horse, after Blitz puts his snake into the wall.

I hope it isn't so!!!

--
Blitz & Tommy - make sure you don't drive faster than you guardian angel can fly ;)

Jamo 02-10-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109053)
Ladies and Gentlemen, here he is in the Cobra -- roughly 2/3 of the way through, he gets it up to around 30 miles an hour and complains that it gets loose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdXz8suWSA.

And here, he blows up an RV with an anti-aircraft rifle. Standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJqpKHyqik.

And here, he shoots a friend. Usual day at the office: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Z-ap21xSo.

Well now it's really getting interesting.

I did a 3-day at Spring Mtn (Vettes...normals and ZO6s) and it's a pretty damn technical course. He learned quite a bit about the Cobra (feel of the clutch, tire traction) even if it was only a few laps.

BTW, when they combine both sides of the course, it becomes downright exhausting.

RodKnock 02-10-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otomix (Post 1109073)
All I can say is the engine is a Shelby 427 Side Oiler with dual carbs.

He should switch to a single carb for the race. I'm sure I'll get flamed by all the dual quad guys and gals now. :LOL:

What's the big secret? Are we keeping the specs from a) Tommy, b) Dan, c) the audience or d) all of the above?

I assume if KC built it, it's probably a 482 or maybe a 496 with a roller cam.

Ibr8k4vetts 02-10-2011 08:04 PM

I would love to see the Cobra win and I am NOT a fan of Attorney's!!! I hope Tom kicks Dan's butt.

N2VENOM 02-10-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1109109)

I assume if KC built it, it's probably a 482 or maybe a 496 with a roller cam.

I know the previous owner and we drove our kirkhams to an event. It is a 482 unless there was a engine swap in the last 2 years. Darren

Dimis 02-10-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts (Post 1109115)
I would love to see the Cobra win and I am NOT a fan of Attorney's!!! I hope Tom kicks Dan's butt.

What the....?
%/%/%/

Who is driving what?

tommygold 02-10-2011 09:01 PM

Many thanks to Otomyx and N2Venom for the intel, and apologies to the Mods for not understanding the edit to the post. It's truly amazing what a community this is -- so tight nit that you know individual cars!

Ok all, with it disclosed as a 482 s/o (I'm sure there was no engine change), does that change anyone's views?

Also Dan's car will be in tip-top shape. It had a bunch of stuff wrong -- shocking, given the incredible care he has shown it -- and it's all fixed up.

STL Mark 02-10-2011 09:11 PM

If he gets a couple of practice runs in - you are toast.

Save yourself the hassle and the money, pay the exit fee, save your paint, and send your old buds here at club cobra a fact finding fee.:3DSMILE:

Toast.:LOL:

tkb289 02-10-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m52mark (Post 1108959)
Buzz your cartoons get better and better !

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCOBRA (Post 1108970)
+ a Couple on That!
Very Nice Buzz!

Keep 'em coming Buzz :):)

RodKnock 02-10-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109127)
Ok all, with it disclosed as a 482 s/o (I'm sure there was no engine change), does that change anyone's views?

Not mine. Once I heard the name Keith Craft, then I assumed that the engine was a 482. If it were a 496 or even 527, then the equation changes to a certain extent. The dual quads, if not setup properly, could be BIG positive in your favor.

I think the heads are probably the "typical" Stage 2 ported Edelbrocks, but if they were Stage 3 heads, then Dan could have a BIG positive, depending if it were properly matched cam.

tommygold 02-10-2011 10:05 PM

Thanks RK. So folks, is it dual quads and state 2 or state 3 heads?

And STL Mark, I can't tell who you think should be buying out. You voted that I would lose, but because I would mess it up.

Test runs set for Maryland International Raceway Tuesday morning. One of your own already plans to be on hand. Video is probable.

Excaliber 02-10-2011 10:35 PM

One vs Two carbs on an FE has been a back and forth controversy for years. With both sides posting numbers and data to show why or why not one or two is better.

I'm in the two is better camp myself. The fuel distribution per cylinder is improved. In EITHER CASE the main thing is to make sure it's dialed in for the motor.

Tommy, for me the cube's dont change the picture that much. The basic problem with Cobras is how much of it can you hook up? I can't go 100% throttle on mine until somewhere around 80 mph and third gear. So, until then it wouldn't make much difference if I had 500 or 800 horse. That's why I've said the race will be the LAST 1/8th mile, not the first. At the end is where the really BIG horse power and cubes can finally be unleashed.

Goodyear Bill Boards? Pfffft, no chance he can hook the power up early.

CoolCarl 02-10-2011 10:39 PM

This is a very exciting thread. But why?

Is it the amount of money involved?

Is it the size of the egos?

Is it Ford vs. Ferrari that dates back to the 60's?

Is it 60's tech. vs. modern tech?

I think its a combination of all of them that makes this thread so compelling.

Any other reason for this much interest?

Sinclair Snake 02-10-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCarl (Post 1109136)
This is a very exciting thread. But why?

Is it the amount of money involved?

Is it the size of the egos?

Is it Ford vs. Ferrari that dates back to the 60's?

Is it 60's tech. vs. modern tech?

I think its a combination of all of them that makes this thread so compelling.

Any other reason for this much interest?

I am interested in the old school vs new school, and the money involved. The ego's help alittle too, but if it was just two big ego's racing a couple of cobras for $500 bucks, it would'nt have made it to page 2.

STL Mark 02-11-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygold (Post 1109134)
And STL Mark, I can't tell who you think should be buying out. You voted that I would lose, but because I would mess it up.

Sorry T - you're a stand up guy for posting here, but new evidence has come in since I voted. That Keith Craft big block 482 with dual quads and slicks will crush you. Even a novice driver would be able to run low 11s with a couple practice runs before the event. He won't even have to hook up. Just a semi-aggressive launch that doesn't spin the tires, and some assertive shifting without missing a gear - and he'll win. If I could change my vote - I would.

Now, you may get close to driving past him as you cross the finish line, but if he stays in it hard - toast. Cheers and good luck.