LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
So I can't join a Ferrari club or a Corvette Club or a Porsche Club without owning one? Really?
Actually, yes, really, in the case of a Porsche. You must provide the VIN of your Porsche in order to join the PCA.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
You're confusing what cars they welcome at SAAC events and what cars they include in the registry. Read it again.
No, I got it the first time $$ CHA-CHING! They include in the registry "virtually all high performance Ford-powered cars including Tigers, Mangustas and Panteras, Boss 302, 351 and 429 Mustangs, AC Mk IVs, Cobra 4000s, Mustangs of every year including the latest generation of Shelby GTs and GT500s, Griffiths, Italias, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Comets and yes—even Cobra kit cars".

What a joke
Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default i agree

I think there is a differance between an entry level "kit car" and a top shelf replica. I tell pepole its a replica not a kit car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I actually don't like the term "kit car". When asked, I tell people it's a replica. They get it. If they want to know more, I tell them I built it myself and they're usually impressed.

Most people ask because they are genuinely curious. They may be impressed with the car, but would like to determine if they are actually in the presence of a 60's vintage legend.

Nope. Just in the presence of an outrageously cool car.

DD
Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

There is.
But Dangerous Doug's comments are well spoken. IMHO
Old 08-31-2015, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
No, I got it the first time $$ CHA-CHING! They include in the registry "virtually all high performance Ford-powered cars including Tigers, Mangustas and Panteras, Boss 302, 351 and 429 Mustangs, AC Mk IVs, Cobra 4000s, Mustangs of every year including the latest generation of Shelby GTs and GT500s, Griffiths, Italias, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Comets and yes—even Cobra kit cars".

What a joke
No, you don't get it. All those cars are not included in the SAAC registry.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As to the "angst" many owners have that don't own real Cobras (original series or continuation series) my official recommendation is that in response to "the question" regardless of whether it's phrased "is it a kit", "is it real" or "is it a replica" the simple response is "it's a pretend Cobra" or "it's a tribute Cobra". Either will work.

As to continuation series owners, they don't need any help since they have no angst in dealing with "the question". At least I don't. The answer for us is rather simple..."Its a continuation series Shelby Cobra". Without fail people are in awe of the Shelby and ask about the car. Unfortunately the interest generated, the photos, videos etc usually cause delays in my excursions. In fact, just happened again today at DMV. The minute they learn it's a Shelby...sheesh.
Even though what Evan says is factually true, he intentionally misleads the inquisitor into thinking they are looking at an original, 60's era, Shelby Cobra.
I think we all can agree that when asked "the question", the inquisitor is really asking whether or not they are in the presence of an original, 60's era, Shelby Cobra.

Based on that assumption, the correct answer to "the question" would be: "It's not an original Shelby Cobra. It's a Shelby Continuation Series Cobra."

Evan, if you don't like all the attention your car generates every time you park it, then tell the WHOLE truth when someone asks "the question" and then spend the next few minutes explaining what a continuation series is.
Intentionally misleading those that care to ask is beneath you. If you are truly proud of your car, as you should be, don't embellish its pedigree by trying to glom onto the fame of the originals.
Yours is a remake of the original, not an original. Be proud and educate those that care to ask. And don't try to justify your answer by saying that you are merely answering their question. We all know what they truly want to know, and your misleading answer is beneath you.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Oh FFS....are we really still talking about REAL or not?

I had a laugh this morning at the gym as I climbed in to leave and guy said, "Is that yours?" I said, "If not somebody in there is going to be really disappointed when they come out."
Old 08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I just tell people No. It's a hand built car ( like a race car) that I compete with once and a while. They all seem interested and impressed.
That's all I can contribute, I can't hang with this conversation but it is interesting and entertaining. I've learned alot from it.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Even though what Evan says is factually true, he intentionally misleads the inquisitor into thinking they are looking at an original, 60's era, Shelby Cobra.
I think we all can agree that when asked "the question", the inquisitor is really asking whether or not they are in the presence of an original, 60's era, Shelby Cobra.

Based on that assumption, the correct answer to "the question" would be: "It's not an original Shelby Cobra. It's a Shelby Continuation Series Cobra."

Evan, if you don't like all the attention your car generates every time you park it, then tell the WHOLE truth when someone asks "the question" and then spend the next few minutes explaining what a continuation series is.
Intentionally misleading those that care to ask is beneath you. If you are truly proud of your car, as you should be, don't embellish its pedigree by trying to glom onto the fame of the originals.
Yours is a remake of the original, not an original. Be proud and educate those that care to ask. And don't try to justify your answer by saying that you are merely answering their question. We all know what they truly want to know, and your misleading answer is beneath you.
I understand your concern and point. I appreciate your comments too. Rest assured, I am not "intentionally" misleading anyone. Without fail I add to the discussion that Shelby began producing Cobras again in 1996. That's when the cell phones and videos start. There is no confusion as to originality. Pedigree is the same.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I’m about as close to Joe Public as you can get for a replica Cobra owner (no stake in the argument) When “THE QUESTION” is asked by Joe and Jane Public, I believe and I think all are wondering if they are in the presence of a 60s Cobra, The Ferrari Killers, the 1million $ + Cobra’s they see on Barrett Jackson Auction, the ones Ken Miles, Dan Gurney drove. Am I wrong?
On a different note: Too many times I have trouble loading this web site, no others just this one.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Just say "yeah". They won't know the difference and will remember you forever.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Pedigree is the same.
Meh, if a pedigree can have a roughly 30 year gap in its lineage, use completely different materials, produced by different employees and by a different company, though using the same name. Sure, if you really squint hard enough.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX-1000 Shelby AC Cobra
Not Ranked     

Name:  rpr_newRolexoldsub114060.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  95.0 KB

The way I see it. Don't think I have heard of a better analogy.

1960's (Original) Rolex Submariner - (Continuation) New Rolex Submariner

Both are genuine Rolex Submariners. There are plenty of knock offs for much less but bring them into a Rolex dealer and they quickly tell you its not a Rolex. Same can be done with a inspection of a Shelby Cobra by a qualified Shelby expert and by referencing its CSX vin # via the Registry.

I apply the same logic to the (Original) Shelby Cobras and the Aluminum (Continuations). Both similar in nature with same company building them. Im sure there aren't many employees left building new Rolexes that built the first original Submariners, but the company still makes Genuine name brand product today. The early (Original) Rolex Submariners are very coveted by the collectors who own the handful of them out there. Some own both. "In house movement" may apply some how as well to this analogy...LOL

Sorry to add another line in this never ending topic. After seeing it at the top of the page the last few times I opened the site, I had to click on it, and for fun add my 2 Cents.

In all reality we will all be dead or close to it in 40 years who knows what the cars may or may not be worth then. Im pretty sure none of us will be right if we guessed today. What ever we own, we own because we liked it enough to step up and buy it, who cares what anyone else thinks. Drive the hell out of it and have fun! Cheers boys!
REAL 1 likes this.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen2 View Post
Attachment 26297

Both are genuine Rolex Submariners. There are plenty of knock offs for much less but bring them into a Rolex dealer and they quickly tell you its not a Rolex. Same can be done with a inspection of a Shelby Cobra by a qualified Shelby expert and by referencing its CSX vin # via the Registry.

I apply the same logic to the (Original) Shelby Cobras and the Aluminum (Continuations). Both similar in nature with same company building them. Im sure there aren't many employees left building new Rolexes that built the first original Submariners, but the company still makes Genuine name brand m, product today. The early (Original) Rolex Submariners are very coveted by the collectors who own the handful of them out there. Some own both. "In house movement" may apply some how as well to this analogy...LOL

Sorry to add another line in this never ending topic. After seeing it at the top of the page the last few times I opened the site, I had to click on it, and for fun add my 2 Cents.

In all reality we will all be dead or close to it in 40 years who knows what the cars may or may not be worth then. Im pretty sure none of us will be right if we guessed today. What ever we own, we own because we liked it enough to step up and buy it, who cares what anyone else thinks. Drive the hell out of it and have fun! Cheers boys!
Perfect.

Uh oh "Mr. Null & Void". What Now?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen2 View Post
Attachment 26297

I apply the same logic to the (Original) Shelby Cobras and the Aluminum (Continuations). Both similar in nature with same company building them. Im sure there aren't many employees left building new Rolexes that built the first original Submariners, but the company still makes Genuine name brand product today. The early (Original) Rolex Submariners are very coveted by the collectors who own the handful of them out there. Some own both. "In house movement" may apply some how as well to this analogy...LOL

Evan, here it comes.

I'm not a "watch person" and know nothing about them. And I don't wear them. But the newer Rolex is CLEARLY A REPLICA. Same logic. IMO.

First, a watch is obviously not a car. Watches don't have to meet Federal safety and emissions regulations, which have dramatically changed automobiles over the past 50 years. If the watch was regulated by the Federal government, then watches would be completely different, even a Rolex.

Second, I'm going to assume that the watch building process and materials have changed over the last 30-50 years, no? The older Rolex is likely made differently using different metallurgy. So are the modern Shelby Cobra replicas. Does the newer Rolex use OEM parts and building processes from the 1960's?

Third, "coveted schmuveted." The older Rolex worth 5-10x more than the newer Rolex? 1960's Cobras are worth $1,000,000-$5,000,000. The most expensive Shelby replica will be the Resurrection Cobras at $500,000 per copy with $50,000 going to charity according to the press release. The 4000 series replicas are roughly $200,000+/-.

Fourth, did Rolex stop building watches for 30 years and change it corporate entity? Carroll Shelby International/Shelby American did.

Different processes, different company, different employees, different parts, and built 30-50 years after the original.

The modern Shelbys are replicas as are the modern Rolexes. To me anyway.

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-31-2015 at 09:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleiss75 View Post
I have about 100 miles on my car and it's so much fun driving. Most people are great but I have had a few that scream out the window "Is it real or a kit?" How do you respond to that? I mostly laugh and then leave them in the rear view mirror, but I put so much time and money into this car I find that question so annoying.
This is the original post (above)
Until less than a week ago, this was a four and a half year old thread.
You guys have too much time on your hands

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Evan, here it comes.

I'm not a "watch person" and know nothing about them. And I don't wear them. But the newer Rolex is CLEARLY A REPLICA. Same logic. IMO.

First, a watch is obviously not a car. Watches don't have to meet Federal safety and emissions regulations, which have dramatically changed automobiles over the past 50 years. If the watch was regulated by the Federal government, then watches would be completely different, even a Rolex.

Second, I'm going to assume that the watch building process and materials have changed over the last 30-50 years, no? The older Rolex is likely made differently using different metallurgy. So are the modern Shelby Cobra replicas. Does the newer Rolex use OEM parts and building processes from the 1960's?

Third, "coveted schmuveted." The older Rolex worth 5-10x more than the newer Rolex? 1960's Cobras are worth $1,000,000-$5,000,000. The most expensive Shelby replica will be the Resurrection Cobras at $500,000 per copy with $50,000 going to charity according to the press release. The 4000 series replicas are roughly $200,000+/-.

Fourth, did Rolex stop building watches for 30 years and change it corporate entity? Carroll Shelby International/Shelby American did.

Different processes, different company, different employees, different parts, and built 30-50 years after the original.

The modern Shelbys are replicas as are the modern Rolexes. To me anyway.
Oey vey. You really should change your user name to "Curmudgeon"

You also need to go back and "null and void" your above strained "analysis" (you really struggled with this one didn't you. Must have been painful ) which is laced with "assumptions", "I don't know" and statements of the obvious such as the gem that a watch is not a car.

Please explain to us how a gap in manufacturing "null and voids" the analogy. If Tom Kirkham shut production down and decided to manufacture duck decoys for 10 years and then decided to come back and restart Kirkham with new employees now having to source parts and components from new sources and use German aluminum and starting making Kirkham Cobras again would they not be real Kirkham Cobras?

Also, also to follow your logic (if we can call it that) new Indian Motorcycles are not Indian Motorcycles just the originals from 50 years ago?

The higher price that people will pay more for the older classic ones is based on rarity and the fact they are part of a set definite pool. People also pay more for new Rolexs from Rolex than fake Rolexs from the guy on the street in NYC don't they. People also pay more for current series Shelby Cobras from SAI then they pay for an LA Exotic, Unique etc.. that are fake Shelby Cobras.

Maybe you need to stop "squinting your eyes so hard" and open them.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
This is the original post (above)
Until less than a week ago, this was a four and a half year old thread.
You guys have too much time on your hands

Cheers,
Glen
I volunteer my time to help the misguided here. A civic duty kind of. I would be cruel to allow them to wander around lost. Athough I will admit some grasp it faster then others. Some have been struggling for years.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evan just can't help himself, he says Rest assured, I am not "intentionally" misleading anyone, and then follows with the pedigrees are the same.

If the pedigrees were the same, one wouldn't be worth 10-20 times the other, end of story.

Let this be a lesson to all, do not let your replica own you, you own it - enjoy it as a sports car. Otherwise you will end up like Evan, forever "unintentionally" misleading the public about what it is you actually have.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oey vey. You really should change your user name to "Curmudgeon"

You also need to go back and "null and void" your above strained "analysis" (you really struggled with this one didn't you. Must have been painful ) which is laced with "assumptions", "I don't know" and statements of the obvious such as the gem that a watch is not a car.

Please explain to us how a gap in manufacturing "null and voids" the analogy. If Tom Kirkham shut production down and decided to manufacture duck decoys for 10 years and then decided to come back and restart Kirkham with new employees now having to source parts and components from new sources and use German aluminum and starting making Kirkham Cobras again would they not be real Kirkham Cobras?

Also, also to follow your logic (if we can call it that) new Indian Motorcycles are not Indian Motorcycles just the originals from 50 years ago?

The higher price that people will pay more for the older classic ones is based on rarity and the fact they are part of a set definite pool. People also pay more for new Rolexs from Rolex than fake Rolexs from the guy on the street in NYC don't they. People also pay more for current series Shelby Cobras from SAI then they pay for an LA Exotic, Unique etc.. that are fake Shelby Cobras.

Maybe you need to stop "squinting your eyes so hard" and open them.
Evan, I have to keep repeating myself, because your analogies don't work, whether Rolexes, Kirkhams, Indian Motorcycles or whatever. What's the next analogy?

What's really funny is that your analogy using the Kirkham, is that it's a Cobra replica. So, David would be making replicas of replicas.

After a roughly 30-year gap in its "lineage", using completely different materials, produced by different employees and by a different company, but using the same name, no squinting is needed, it's a replica. Kirkham, Rolex, Indian, whatever.

Shelby is making replicas. There's a reference to it in the SAAC World Registry. Shelby referenced it in the Registry, calling them "true replicas." But for marketing purposes came up with "Continuation Series."
Jaydee likes this.
Closed Thread