LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory 5
Not Ranked     
Default New Jersey Cobra Nightmare!!!

So long story longer...
My wife & I have dreamed of Cobra ownership & literally have been looking at them & trying to learn about them for a few years now. We found a beautiful one right in Philly, so we decided to pull the trigger. That was July 28th. Here it is September & I am having an IMPOSSIBLE time trying to get this thing registered. I sent in all of our paperwork , & the inspection process is ridiculous. I have 15" rims on & have to change them to at least 17", no biggie as I have the proper wheels all ready to go. I just have to switch them out. I of course need to get shields for the pipes. Now, my pipes are ceramic coated which is supposed to be ok, but my wife got a pretty painful "kiss" the day we got it so who really knows. I don't have high beams NOR an indicator in the dash. Hell I don't even have a space in the dash for it which means... dash removal & drilling right? I need the turn signal to be self canceling. Man, I have seen cars that don't have any working signals on the road & the driver uses his hands to signal. There's NO ROOF, signaling is easy! I need a dual master cylinder, which I think I have, but it needs to have a brake failure light, yup.. more drilling into a dashboard. I need to make sure that the windshield Factory Five is using here is the proper safety glass. It has the inscription "Laminated Safety Float DOT 568" the guy , Joe, at the Asbury Park Facility said he has no idea what that is & I may need to replace the windshield too. I need replace the signal & tail light shields, as they are "Lucas England" NOT DOTSAE lenses. We need to install catalytic converters, he said even though it's a 1991 302 with fuel injection & may pass the emissions at the regular inspection station, he "likes to see" cats. I need a shift knob with a shift pattern on it, easiest fix of the frikkin' day! AND WIPERS!!! there isn't even a hole in the body for a set of wipers & you know what that means... MORE DRILLING! This time into a show quality body of a beautiful vehicle! What really sucks is before we purchased this car in July I had no idea even where the oil goes in a car. I'm a photographer NOT a mechanic, so we purchased a vehicle that would be good for us since it needed no work & was an easy engine for any corner garage mechanic to work on. Today I am putting it across the boards for sale & I don't even have the title in our name since the state still has it! What the hell do I do!?!?!?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, you got an a-hole at the NJ DMV and he is sending you to his a-hole buds for all the registration particulars. 1st question - was the car registered in Philly and as what? If it was and as a '65-'66, my understanding is that NJ (or any state) has to honor that and only hold you to that era of "classic car" requirements. Check the laws, pretty sure you are on solid ground to refuse post-'66 DMV safety requirements. In CA we have the SB-100 legislation that covers out ass on inspection requirements as well as emissions. I would fight it.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

I hope he doesn't mind me dropping his name in here, but from other posts I've read, it seems like Mr. Mustang (Bill) has an excellent understanding of NJ registration ins and outs. I'd drop him a PM, if I were you.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

John,

You unfortunately did not do your homework when shopping for a used Cobra. You should have realized that some states are less restrictive than others when it comes to licensing a vehicle for use on the street. In this case, clearly you have an early FFR (what is your FFR chassis number? take a picture of the trunk to be sure and post it here) with the overseas sourced turn/brake signal lenses. The "DOT 568" is the federal approval number for the glass itself and speaks volumes for the particular person and enhanced inspection station you went to (do a search on the subject here, I have written extensively about it).

Side pipe covers are a bolt on, bolt off item and available from several vendors.
Wipers are a must in NJ as you have already found out. Call FFR and order a set up, they are easy enough to install on a Saturday afternoon.
Low pressure brake switches can be installed easily as can the associated light for it. You do not have to even remove the dash as there are simple one screw under dash brackets that you can use (normally used for accessory foglight switches and available at your local auto parts store.

Catalytic converters can only be sourced from FFR.

All in all figure less than $2,000 (that is if someone else does the work) to get the car to pass the NJ inspection process.

In closing, forget about going back to Asbury, they are a known trouble station. Once you have added what needs to be, make an appointment at Morristown, and you will be good to go.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarcara View Post
So long story longer...
My wife & I have dreamed of Cobra ownership & literally have been looking at them & trying to learn about them for a few years now. We found a beautiful one right in Philly, so we decided to pull the trigger. That was July 28th. Here it is September & I am having an IMPOSSIBLE time trying to get this thing registered. I sent in all of our paperwork , & the inspection process is ridiculous. I have 15" rims on & have to change them to at least 17", no biggie as I have the proper wheels all ready to go. I just have to switch them out. I of course need to get shields for the pipes. Now, my pipes are ceramic coated which is supposed to be ok, but my wife got a pretty painful "kiss" the day we got it so who really knows. I don't have high beams NOR an indicator in the dash. Hell I don't even have a space in the dash for it which means... dash removal & drilling right? I need the turn signal to be self canceling. Man, I have seen cars that don't have any working signals on the road & the driver uses his hands to signal. There's NO ROOF, signaling is easy! I need a dual master cylinder, which I think I have, but it needs to have a brake failure light, yup.. more drilling into a dashboard. I need to make sure that the windshield Factory Five is using here is the proper safety glass. It has the inscription "Laminated Safety Float DOT 568" the guy , Joe, at the Asbury Park Facility said he has no idea what that is & I may need to replace the windshield too. I need replace the signal & tail light shields, as they are "Lucas England" NOT DOTSAE lenses. We need to install catalytic converters, he said even though it's a 1991 302 with fuel injection & may pass the emissions at the regular inspection station, he "likes to see" cats. I need a shift knob with a shift pattern on it, easiest fix of the frikkin' day! AND WIPERS!!! there isn't even a hole in the body for a set of wipers & you know what that means... MORE DRILLING! This time into a show quality body of a beautiful vehicle! What really sucks is before we purchased this car in July I had no idea even where the oil goes in a car. I'm a photographer NOT a mechanic, so we purchased a vehicle that would be good for us since it needed no work & was an easy engine for any corner garage mechanic to work on. Today I am putting it across the boards for sale & I don't even have the title in our name since the state still has it! What the hell do I do!?!?!?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Contact Mr.Mustang

Contact Bill ( Mr Mustang)....he knows this stuff better then most of us...I'm in Marlboro, NJ if I can be of any help!
Jon
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Mrmustang attempted to assist this person once before. He did not respond to my request for information on a thread he resurrected from the archives several weeks ago.

NJ registration

Last edited by mrmustang; 09-13-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Or you could register it in Maine.

Bob
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks so much for your help. Mr. Mustang, Sorry I hadn't replied to that last thread. I actually had just signed up for the forum & wasn't receiving emails in the proper place so I didn't realize it. So the vehicle is titled in PA as a Sp. Const, with a title date of 2005. So, also I called DMV since they have my title & I wanted to get it back. So, Gary @ DMV who has been a great help so far stated that if he sent me back the title there is no space to add another purchaser on it, so I can't even sell the car. I can trailer it to the meets & auto shows... thats it. The poor girl is just stuck in my garage & I have NO choice but to do these repairs. Registering it in another state won't work as I don't have any I.D. from another state. I am going to take Mr. Mustangs advise & call Morristown, Gary already sent my info there & cancelled out my info with Asbury. I am going to call Morristown in a few minutes & will keep you updated from there. Thank you so much for your help & when I did my homework on the cobra, I didnt think that a previously titled one would give me this much hassle.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

You'll still need to do the basics

Wipers (FFR)
Sidepipe heat shields (available aftermarket)
Low pressure brake warning light and switch (pepboys, auto zone, etc)
Catalytic converters to replace your "J" pipes (used at ffcars.com or new from FFR)

Make sure all your lights work, turn, brake, high and low beams.
Horn (a must)
DOT approved lenses can be sourced from FFR

Things we need to know in order to assist you further:

Your FFR chassis number (should be with your build paperwork you got from the seller).

Still unsure why NJ did not accept the PA title as I have done this numerous times in both directions without ever a hassle, and as recently as July of this year with a friend in Allamuchy, NJ and his new (2005) SPF with a PA title just like yours.

Bill S.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And you guys crack on CA registration...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah sorry,
so, my frame # is FFR1004508R0
I also do not have ANY build paper work.. I am the 3rd owner & apparently not even the seller has it. He is on this forum as well I just don't know what he goes by.
Other car collectors have told me the same thing about transferring a title to NJ, it should go through & I have been very nice & polite with them. You know the whole more bees with honey thing...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah sorry,
so, my frame # is FFR1004508R0
I also do not have ANY build paper work.. I am the 3rd owner & apparently not even the seller has it. He is on this forum as well I just don't know what he goes by.
Other car collectors have told me the same thing about transferring a title to NJ, it should go through & I have been very nice & polite with them. You know the whole more bees with honey thing...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

meant to post it here,
AWESOME!
On their website it states that Morristown is closed until further notice due to storm damage... I am trying all of their phone #s now!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
And you guys crack on CA registration...
I've said it many times, CA has a clear and direct process that the whole Northeast could learn from (well atleast NY,NJ,CT,MA).
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

God Bless Texas.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ugh! Just got off the phone with trenton. Only windslow & asbury remain operational after Irene. Winslow is really far to tow the car there. I am having them send my papers back. It's not worth it. To spend thousands on a car that we spent thousands on already? NJ is rediculous. I cannot even sell it. They won't give me a new title without modifying it & i cant sell it without a new title. I dont have that kind of money. It's my fault for not looking it up but who would have if this was their first time purchasing a car like this. We don't even feel good about the car anymore anyway. Bad taste, so now it will sit in the garage i guess. Until next year.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mmmm seems simple to me.

Think it is hard have a go at getting it even registered in Australia.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ugh! Just got off the phone with trenton. Only windslow & asbury remain operational after Irene. Winslow is really far to tow the car there. I am having them send my papers back. It's not worth it. To spend thousands on a car that we spent thousands on already? NJ is rediculous. I cannot even sell it. They won't give me a new title without modifying it & i cant sell it without a new title. I dont have that kind of money. It's my fault for not looking it up but who would have if this was their first time purchasing a car like this. We don't even feel good about the car anymore anyway. Bad taste, so now it will sit in the garage i guess. Until next year.
Perhaps speak with the person you purchased it from and have him apply for a "lost title" here in PA. They will issue a duplicate which you can then use to sell the car to someone else.

Bill S.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

I am so glad I moved away from NJ in 1976!!! The only good thing there is the shore! Mark
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's my fault for not looking it up but who would have if this was their first time purchasing a car like this. We don't even feel good about the car anymore anyway. Bad taste, so now it will sit in the garage i guess. Until next year.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Some years ago when I was on the verge of getting a FFR, I did 3 things first, bought an assembly manual, looked at/talked to 2 owners/drove 2 different FFR's AND then went straight to the local DMV and asked what was needed to title the car in my home state, they gave me the regs. and then sent me to the Louisiana State Police, which had the final say and inspection and found out what they required.In the end it wasn't thay hard to do, just keep the needed documents/records...When all was said and done, I ended up not getting a Cobra, but a 65 Fastback.......
People need to do their homework first before plunking down hard earned cash for these toys.......

David

Tags
cobra, new jersey, regitration, shelby, title