Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII Levy 347
Not Ranked     

When I got mine on the road, after 5 years to build it did scare the crap out of me.

I have two bad knees, a mild case of MS, but I will never sell mine. I'll turn it into a planter first.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Each Cobra owner is as unique as their specific cars. It is futile to try and understand why some sell their cars ad some don't. The variables of money, wives, health, skills, age, attention span, .....add up to a formidable matrix.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I'm on my 6th Cobra and I sold either to build another Cobra, get a GT40, Kirkham Aluminum Cobra, GT350R Race Car, New GT500, back to Cobras. My wife says I love the build and chase of buying and selling.........
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

im not sure why you would sell a car that you built from the ground up, definately the first car from the ground up! aside from an illness or financial calmity....

that being said....i might build a second cobra soon with a different engine combo. I could see selling that at some time. but not my first one :O
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And then there is the small percentage of owners that don't now how to repair the Cobra once something goes awry. If I had to pony up $$ for all the repairs that i've done,I'd sell mine too! Also wifey burned her leg on the side pipe and she still gets in without complaining too much...

Glenn
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Man it ripped my gutts out to have to sell,and still does I hate it.Money Money Money its ausome when its ther and totally sucks when it's not.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill3 View Post
Man it ripped my gutts out to have to sell,and still does I hate it.Money Money Money its ausome when its ther and totally sucks when it's not.
Dear Wildbill3,

I wish you all plenty of money, but more so, I wish you good health, because without it my dear friend that totally sucks

Anth
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

I had fun with mine, sold it to buy a Cobra R, had fun with that for a couple years and then sold that to buy my Tiger recently. I usually keep a car for a few years then sell it to buy another----when I die I want to say I had ALL the cars I wanted.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

Selling my ....soon to rebuilt cobra.... would be like selling my golden retiver. I am supprised as to how little my cobra buds drive thier cars.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

I sold my Roadster because of Health reasons and age. I am to old to race competitively any more and it was just to hot to drive in our 115+ degree Summers with the humidity we are now having. I hated to sell it but sometimes you have to do things that you wold rather not.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

How about "don't fit in the car anymore"
or "wife don't fit in the car anymore"
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

I just sold my Unique Motorcars Cobra that I completed a year ago.... key reasons:
-Just sits in Garage most of the time.
-My love is the build... so I have two other projects going on, A restomod 70 Mustang Boss 529 and just purchased a 68 Corvette Convertible, 427/4spd. The Mustang is a rotisseries restomod and the Vette will be a frame off restomod.
-In Flordia, with the straight/flat roads, the heat and threat of rain… The Cobra just isn’t that much fun to drive.
-So little time, so much to do.

Build site for the Mustang Project Mustang Boss 429 | FordMuscle.com
Build site for the Cobra Mark's Build - Unique Forums

Mark
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #880, Ford Racing 392 w/4 - 48IDA Webers, TKO600
Not Ranked     

After one year of ownership, I'm in the process of a half-hearted attempt at selling mine right now, for most of the reasons listed:

Wife literally hates the car. She loves the attention we get when we're out and about but hates everything else about it; noise, wind, comfort (or lack thereof). Hasn't burned her leg but only because I caution her every time she gets in or out.

The weather in South Florida can be brutal; 95 degrees/95% humdity, rains all the damn time. Try to beat the heat and drive at night, you'll be cleaning bugs off and out of the car for a month. There's really only about 4 months out of the year you can reliably expect to have an enjoyable day in the car (but it is some glorious weather).

Boredom. It's hard to stay excited when most of the time the car is just taking up space in the garage. Plus, there are so many other activities the whole family gets involved in (fishing/boating, camping, off-road, sports) whereas the car is only one or two of us at a time.

I'm reluctant to sell because I have a great time with the car. There are three top quality tracks (Miami-Homestead, Palm Beach International and Sebring) within 150 miles of the house, Miami and Palm Beach are within 50. I love hitting all the car shows we have down here, have made many new friends due to the car and with Reg and the guys just a few miles up the road, there is tremendous dealer support. I know if/when I sell, I'll miss it tremendously. But, then again, I missed my airplane, which was the dream of my life, and eventually got over it. I'll be honest on that one; airplanes are an expensive hobby. Cobras (replicas, anyways) are cheap in comparison.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I drove my SPF for 11 summers here in Southern Connecticut. But in the end I let it go due to all of the following -

I am not a good wrencher and I had nobody nearby to work on the car,
The traffic and roads in my area suck and I was sick of sitting at red lights,
A 6 month driving season, in the winter my daily driver sat outside (covered in snow and ice),
Driving the car would sometimes upset my back (I'm 65) and I would not be right for weeks,
Lack of interaction with other Cobra owners.

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

I have seriously considered doing another 289 Cobra, instead of a FIA/Race version more of a stocker, wire wheels, no rollbar, underchassis exhaust...but it all depends upon selling the Anglia(wife said 'no more toys, unless you sell one first...') I invested far more in it than I had planned upon you know how it goes you do one thing to it and then you really want to do another... . I just got it finished last spring after a 4yr build and spent most of the summer going thru new build 'teething' problems...never fun to wonder whats going to mess up every time you take it out of the garage...now it runs,drives as it should even though it was on my 'bucket list' of cars I'm sort of bored with it now. It is very fast in a straight line( low 11's in the quarter at a 'test 'n tune' day at Bandimere on MT Sportsman Pro tires), with it's 90" wheelbase and 1850lb weight, under a hard launch, with the Line-lok, it can and will pull the front end off the ground and smoke the rubber all day long. Powered by a well built 383 stroker with 3x2's, dyno'd at 475 hp, race Prepped Powerglide, 9'' Currie rearend w/4.10's. Flip/removable 'glas front, tubbed,full cage...all the goodies. It gets horrid gas mileage showed it a few times last summer and won 2 Best of Shows. It has heat/AC, stereo, and always turns heads. I have around $60K in it and would probably lose a lot if I sold it right now...so a new Cobra project is out for now unless a buyer comes along
Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R. View Post
I have seriously considered doing another 289 Cobra, instead of a FIA/Race version more of a stocker, wire wheels, no rollbar, underchassis exhaust...but it all depends upon selling the Anglia(wife said 'no more toys, unless you sell one first...') I invested far more in it than I had planned upon you know how it goes you do one thing to it and then you really want to do another... . I just got it finished last spring after a 4yr build and spent most of the summer going thru new build 'teething' problems...never fun to wonder whats going to mess up every time you take it out of the garage...now it runs,drives as it should even though it was on my 'bucket list' of cars I'm sort of bored with it now. It is very fast in a straight line( low 11's in the quarter at a 'test 'n tune' day at Bandimere on MT Sportsman Pro tires), with it's 90" wheelbase and 1850lb weight, under a hard launch, with the Line-lok, it can and will pull the front end off the ground and smoke the rubber all day long. Powered by a well built 383 stroker with 3x2's, dyno'd at 475 hp, race Prepped Powerglide, 9'' Currie rearend w/4.10's. Flip/removable 'glas front, tubbed,full cage...all the goodies. It gets horrid gas mileage showed it a few times last summer and won 2 Best of Shows. It has heat/AC, stereo, and always turns heads. I have around $60K in it and would probably lose a lot if I sold it right now...so a new Cobra project is out for now unless a buyer comes along
Pictures???

After the Cobra, the Anglia is my favorite car.

Last edited by Silverback51; 01-13-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default One in a long line

I'm still in love with mine, but I know some day she'll go off down the road with someone else driving. My Cobra represents a long line of cars, each sold to buy the next, stretching back to high school. A GT40 has always been the ultimate goal, and it's next now, so some day the Cobra will be given up in order to attain the final one. I'm getting older, too, so it may be sooner than later. I'd like to be able to actually drive and enjoy the '40......
Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

My guess is that nearly all cars are sold from their original owner sometime. I think a lot of Cobra's that are sold relatively shortly after they are bought or built is likely because the person did not completely understand what they were getting. It is not a boulevard cruiser. It is a noisy, smelly, dangerous, overpowered, not very comfortable, good weather car. I can't imagine having one to be mainly a show car. I plan on keeping and driving mine as long as I can...then I'll propably make a lamp out of it.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
I plan on keeping and driving mine as long as I can...then I'll propably make a lamp out of it.
LOL--hope you have a big end table--lol
Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Pictures???

After the Cobra, the Anglia is my favorite car.
Send me your e-mail.