LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Thank you. I've seen many posts advising to only buy an 'ERA-built' car vs. an owner build.
I take great exception to that idea. Surely some examples of any manufacturer's car are poorly owner-built. It takes a thorough study and understanding of the car's content and care of assembly to not get hurt buying one. You've gotta do the homework.
But there are cars that meet or exceed ERA's assembly quality and are updated with the newest improved parts developed by the New Britain guys. As well as other aftermarket suppliers like Mike Bontoft (now sadly gone from business) Brian Higgins, my 'no-name' machinist Jim Schutz and by buddy J. Hechinger, long-time painter of aircraft. They each helped make mine a labor of love. The beauty of an ERA is precisely that--easily adding the latest improvements to an older build.
A credit to Bob, Peter and Phil, the engineering is first rate and constantly improving the product.
Replace it?--possibly a cane with red tip...
These posts are starting to say it like it is, not all home built kits are created equal.No doubt the same holds true for manufacturers built cars.That being said the builder and his abilities will reflect the quality of car being assembled.Also the intended purpose of the car will have major bearing on what ends up on the rubber.No doubt some of the people we read about have the credentials to back their creations.The rest of us have to rely on our own reputaions and let the cars sell themselves.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you're still looking for a really nice ERA, another one popped up on Cobra Country. It's "semi-street":

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1332x735.jpg

I'm not a big fan of green, but you get an all-aluminum 468 with EFI. Very nice.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

And there would definitely be no difference after that blind man wadded up either a SPF or ERA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, to a blind man there is no difference at all between night and day. And to that same man, there would be little difference between an SPF and ERA.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

I have a SPF and love it. I also think the ERA's look great and the body is closer to an original. I really like the SPF compromise between a wide hip and narrow hip. To my eye it is an in-between which is perfect for my tastes. I do wish I could get the ass of the SPF slightly lower to the ground without messing up the suspension geometry but that's just nit picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Both are quality cars. There is only a "night and

day" difference in aesthetics if you know what to look for..to the average Joe they both look the same.

I really like SPF and their Grand Sport is on my short list for my next toy.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

This is easier than you think

Superformance:

ERA:

Old 07-06-2020, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

I bought my SPF in 1999 and put nearly 145,000 miles on it. It is the only Cobra I have ever owned and if I bought another, it would be another SPF. Am I biased? You bet but that bias is based on the fact that I have a LOT of miles in the seat and have driven most of the other brands in the 21 years of ownership of my car.

The ERA is a fabulous car and I could never tell anyone not to buy one. But as others have pointed out, there is always a risk when buying a kit in as much as one might be built as a piece of art and another......well....maybe not so much. With a SPF you are getting a factory built car that is a work of art and will always be consistent in terms of fit and finish. From the first cars to the most recent, there have been upgrades but the quality has been consistent or slightly better. Of course, things should get better over time and number of vehicles built and SPF is by far the best factory built car out there......OK.....maybe the term “by far” might not fit in the ERA comparison.

One thing you must ask yourself is how do you plan to use the car. If it is for show primarily with the extra fun of some Sunday drives, then ERA might be your best bet. It does replicate the original better than SPF and that will buy you some favor with knowledgeable judges at a top notch car show.If the voting is done by the audience, then don’t expect accuracy to buy you anything.....it might even hurt you a little. I have seen Cobras that were so customized that they barely resembled a real Cobra win shows because the novices thought they were really cool.

If you are looking for a car that you will drive a lot, see the country in, thrash on the track, has incredible support from the manufacturer with parts readily available and you want the best resale value, then SPF will be impossible to beat. The SPF is the best riding and driving car out there....especially if you do a few easy upgrades that are available through Cobra Valley and the Superformance Owners support group.

BTW, one of the reasons I still own my car after all these years is the owners support group (SCOF). SCOF is the private owners forum for SPF owners. It has an incredible Tech Library and the best Cobra mechanics, engineers, designers etc. in the country. Hell, the factory even comes to SCOF for direction on some matters. To call some of these guys experts would almost be an insult. My best friends on the planet are mostly SCOF members....all of whom I met through SCOF after buying my car. SCOF keeps us bound together, offers at least three major cruises around the country each year as well as other social opportunities not forgetting the very active forum. That is why you see such high mileage on some of the SPF’s. It is nothing for a SCOf member to jump in their car in FL or NC Or CA and drive to CO or Utah or Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota to run the mountains for about a week before heading back home. We will often rack up more miles in a week or ten days than most will drive in a year (couple of thousand miles). In 2018 and 2019, the group drove through most of Canada fro BC to Nova Scotia. You just don’t see other manufactured cars being used like that very often.

My car has a 521 ci engine built on a 460 block by BB Ford legendary builder Jon Kaase. It pumps out over 700 HP and 697 lbs of torque and that is after I had Jon defund it a little from the over 800 HP he originally built into it (a mistake in hindsight). The SPF loves any big block you want to install although the European and South Africans dealers operating in the USA seem to like the 427 Windsor’s so you see a LOT of those. The sb is not a bad choice by the way. They scream in these very light cars.

Again, if you want a high quality Cobra, I doubt you will be disappointed in either of the two you mentioned. The Shelby and the Kirkham are good cars too. All four will hold their resale value well although I think the Shelby and SPF hold values the best assuming an owner doesn’t do something crazy with them. I know I can sell my pretty old and high mileage car for more than I have in it so the car has been free so far for me. BTW....my car looks almost new except for the road rash in the front and that also says a lot for the quality of the build and paint. My seats did start to show their age but I replaced them last year so the car really looks pretty fresh.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. And if you look at used cars and find a good one, don’t be afraid to pull the trigger on either one. You’ll be happy you did.
Jim Kellogg likes this.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

The ERA is as close to an original without the associated problems found in them as one can get. If that is what you are looking for.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
Old 07-06-2020, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

They are both wonderful cars but I would be concerned as to who or where the ERA was put together. The authenticity question is a non factor.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
They are both wonderful cars but I would be concerned as to who or where the ERA was put together. The authenticity question is a non factor.
From my experience, the only difference in quality between owner and factory-built cars is that the former may have some fancier equipment. At the factory, we tend to go by the maxim "Keep it simple (and original), stupid." Other than that, ERA kits are so complete that you really have to work hard to make a bad car.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Well then, sense we are talking opinions Backdraft is the biggest bang for the buck and looks the best.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

These who's dog is bigger, better, more authentic etc. threads are not particularly helpful for anyone buying or building one of these cars. Firms like ERA and SPF provide excellent vehicle choices. If you are in the market for one of these cars go out and do your research. Look at the cars, drive the cars and assess just how motivated you are to undertake the acquisition adventure.

Buy the one you like, can afford and are capable of building / owning. Some require more assembly than others. ERA and SPF and many other manufacturers provide excellent versions of the cars for you. All you have to do is decide how much effort you are willing to put into the build process and how much money you have to spend.

I don't know of anyone that bought one sight unseen based upon threads like this one and if you did you deserved what you got. There is no shortcut to primary research. If you think there is, the only person you are fooling is yourself.

Go do the same work the rest of us did before buying / building our cars. You won't be sorry if you do. You very likely will be sorry if you don't.
Remember, this is definitely one of those beauty is in the eyes of the beholder experiences. Go find what you like/love.

Get over the authenticity insanity. If you want authenticity go buy an original and suffer with the half century old technology and 100% authentic pedigree. The modern replica's are light years better than the originals they replicate.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Turnkey

Quote:
My Slabside ERA is an authentic turnkey, exactly what I want. No doubts it was built right. Earlier I had another company's turnkey, needless to say I learned quickly how well ERA does with their Cobras.

John

ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Well then, sense we are talking opinions Backdraft is the biggest bang for the buck and looks the best.
agree to disagree.
CJ428CJ likes this.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
agree to disagree.
I second that sentiment
Old 07-06-2020, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The only backdraft I ever liked was the one in the Sports Illustrated picture with Danica Patrick

https://jalopnik.com/danica-patrick-...it-iss-5150612
Old 07-06-2020, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou1119 View Post
I second that sentiment
Especially when they are made with all of the options. They then look like they were driven through a trinket shop
Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

And then you have a Kirkham

Compare all you want, both are very nice replicas.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary osborne View Post
I bought my SPF in 1999 and put nearly 145,000 miles on it. It is the only Cobra I have ever owned...
Any cobra and owner combo that has lasted 20 years, 145,000 miles, and that is still going strong is doing something right.
Jim Kellogg and rads42 like this.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Everyone loves their cars and some seem to get a little sensitive about it but regardless of which one you get, you will be on here trying to find out how to fix it and make it better. I particularly enjoy reading the whole authenticity nonsense. Wasted breath.

Fred
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... but regardless of which one you get, you will be on here trying to find out how to fix it and make it better.
Uhhhh, like by asking "can I reuse my brake caliper pin bolts, or do I really have to find new ones for every pad change?"