21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I might add that I received my car two years ago this month and I'm just now completing buffing out the paint. I spent the better part of 20 months on body work and painting. Other than only being able to work on it on weekends and when it wasn't too hot or too cold - I'm just really slow - but I am happy with the paint. However - I'm not sure what the paint shops that ERA uses are charging these days - but it's actually a bargain I think. Other than being able to spread that cost out over time, I'm pretty sure I didn't save myself any cost overall.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

When I started looking at which used Cobra I wanted to buy I pretty quickly settled on the SPF because: there were a lot to choose from, ALL of them were "factory" made rollers and I was in a hurry. I resisted the temptation to get the "Perfect Cobra", but it had to be pretty close. The "factory" roller was important because I wanted no part of trying to decide if the builder was good at everything (paint, mechanical, electrical) that I could see and stuff I couldn't see or didn't understand. IMO you have to be VERY good to put together a Cobra kit and it be as good as a SPF for the money. When you get yours home, not likely there will be another Cobra around for 100 miles to get side-by-side and compare point for point and I don't think there are many owners sitting around thinking "Wish I bought a ERA instead of this old SPF" or visa versa. I also decided I did not want a BB. I don't get the nostalga factor for a BB and believe it is mostly about ego. That's ok, we all have egos and where else to display your alter ego than in your Cobra!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Both are quality cars. There is only a "night and day" difference in aesthetics if you know what to look for..to the average Joe they both look the same.

I really like SPF and their Grand Sport is on my short list for my next toy.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
...to the average Joe they both look the same.
Nail hit.

Last edited by ACademic; 02-26-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Nail hit.
I thought you owned an SPF? Did you sell it or am I just mistaken?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I thought you owned an SPF? Did you sell it or am I just mistaken?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Krkucin

When I was researching which Cobra to get I went to many shows and talked to the various owners. I got a lot of really good advice from everyone. I had narrowed my choices down to SPF and ERA as well.

1) I would suggest getting a ride in each one. Usually there will be people local who are more than willing to have another reason to take a ride in their Cobra.

2) If buying a used Cobra make sure to check over each inch. If you can test drive obviously do that. If not at least try to check the clutch action... is it heavy, light, engagement points.

3) Check how you would fit and how your feet would work with the pedals and how you feel in the seat.

Both cars will give you a "Cobra" that will make you smile and throw your back against the seat when you push on the go pedal. I would focus on making sure that your driving experience is the best possible.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This looks to be a very nice ERA on the top of CobraCountry list:

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1332x713.jpg
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK, I've seen several comments about the difference in ERA's between ERA built and owner built. Considering that ERA mounts and bonds the body (important to be done just so, in my opinion, to avoid stess cracks in the future) the rest of their kit seems pretty straight forward. They put in the lights, radiator, pedals, most of the steering mechanism, gas tank, rear wiring, etc., etc. The rest of the build is just assembling stuff. How hard can that be?

And I'm not asking the question sarcastically - I'm under the impression that someone with patience and basic ability, even with no prior experience with cars, can put the car together in a top quality manner. Am I kidding myself? Anyone out there that actually built their ERA care to weigh in?
I bought the basic kit from ERA. I had them bond the body to the chassis but other than that I did the build myself including the engine and assembling the rearend. The kit is really really easy to assemble. It goes together exactly like the instruction manuel says it will with no need to "fabricate this" or "figure out that." You won't find an ERA where someone did a crappy job "figuring out" the steering or jury rigging the brakes. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could screw it up unless they are completely mechanically inept.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
This looks to be a very nice ERA on the top of CobraCountry list:

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1332x713.jpg
Very nice ERA and looks like a quality build too! I love those shorty pipes...........talk about being a rebel!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydramada View Post
Very nice ERA and looks like a quality build too! I love those shorty pipes...........talk about being a rebel!
That's probably one of the best ERA's ever built.

And it has magnesium wheels.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
That's probably one of the best ERA's ever built.

And it has magnesium wheels.
It is nice. And at $58K, someone will buy that car just for the wheels, replace them with standard Trigo's, and still resell the car for about the same price. What are you waiting for?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
at $58K, someone will buy that car just for the wheels, replace them with standard Trigo's, and still resell the car for about the same price.
Now THAT'S some logic.
Or when someone buys, they might sell those high maintenance things and recoup a little. But then there's that backspacing issue...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That car, even with 20k miles on it, should put this thread to rest.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Or when someone buys, they might sell those high maintenance things and recoup a little. But then there's that backspacing issue...
Oops. I forgot about that little detail, but the fronts still work on our Kirkhams.

I'm willing to bet that ERA is SOLD already. I mean, it's WAY too cheap. If it's not sold, then I'm going to empty my piggy bank and low ball it and see what the seller says.

If he or she doesn't kick my arse first, then we're "a dealing."
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well don't go away mad. My point was that night and day, just like SPF and ERA, are perceived differences. The difference between night and day is not that the light is there, but that you are able to see it. That's why I said in my earlier post "Not everyone may care about those differences." I don't think my posts could have been any more accurate and, after you reflect on it, you'll probably agree.
Brings a little chuckle except for the purist and those with a little bias 99.9% of the people looking at these cars certainly will never know the differences.I for one would love to see an example of all the Replicars and one original sitting side by side and see just how far off some of them might be.No need for body line gauges or tape measures again that 99.9% of people will never see those miniscule differences unless two polar opposite cars are sitting side by side.Then I highly doubt they will care.My personal Replicar takes care of all my desires to own one of these fantastic muscle machines,I know it from top to bottom and inside out.Built the car,the motor,and rearend,modified for road racing and could not be happier or more content.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

That is a very nice car...Even with the FE in it...

D-cel
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
That is a very nice car...Even with the FE in it...D-cel
Still suffering from that quick jack blow to the head I see.

Jim
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
That is a very nice car...Even with the FE in it...

D-cel

Jason, you should be excited to see that the seller installed a Lakewood bellhousing.

That car is $10,000 too cheap.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Jim,

No worries I'm fine now....... FE's still suck... LOL

Rk,

You know I hadn’t noticed that. (Typically, when I see a replica Cobra with an FE I don’t give it a second look).
And while the builder was clearly not as interested in performance as he was in the historical accuracy of his replica, he should be commended for his selection of a part that actually provides the minimum level of safety. Many people are led astray by shameful and deceptive marketing and advertising “hype” when they make purchases. Blissfully unaware of the danger posed by LESSER bellhousings that lack the SFI required fastener configuration…
Thanks for making me aware.

Jason