Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Fair enough Jay but let's make them more equal in equipment that SPF or ERA supply.

Please add the optional prices of:

Heater/Defroster

Limited slip differential

Wilwood or equivalent brakes

I will agree that BDR is still cheaper but not quite as much. I am sure there are numerous other differences, some that may be important to a buyer and some that may have no relevance to purchaser.

Final winner? The customer who buys what he likes and can afford, there is no wrong answer, just different answers to different questions.
Ah, Rick... if you were a fish you'd be the first one caught and in the freezer truck to the local Red Lobster.

The ERA is so tailored to the customer so not easy to draw any comparisons here. But if we want to "measure up" here and compare BDR roller to SPF roller it's a lot easier. Let's start with items the BDR includes in the base roller price that you will need if you intend to complete the car and drive it (of which are additional costs on an SPF roller):

- Battery
- Driveshaft
- Motor Mounts (complete connection from frame to block)
- Expansion Tank
- Oh yes TIRES!!!
- Seat Belts

I will let you assign your own value to these items.

Now wait a minute there's more, MORE I say:

- Standard 18" Knock Off Wheels
- No charge for painted stripes
- Polished Stainless Sidepipes with Heatshields

Now if you want to bespoken about and would like to add the following options (which 80% of customers do not find necessary) then here you go:

- 40% LSD option = $1,400
- Heater Kit = $550
- Wilwood Big Brake Kit (this is a 6 piston front, not a 4, etc.) = $3500

I continue to maintain the cars are not direct competitors, they are further apart now in price and the BDR is readily available. They do similar things in different ways and can make either owner incredibly happy. That's what's important at the end of it all.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
- Expansion Tank
- Oh yes TIRES!!!
- Seat Belts

I will let you assign your own value to these items.

Now wait a minute there's more, MORE I say:

- Standard 18" Knock Off Wheels
- No charge for painted stripes
- Polished Stainless Sidepipes with Heatshields

Now if you want to bespoken about and would like to add the following options (which 80% of customers do not find necessary) then here you go:

- 40% LSD option = $1,400
- Heater Kit = $550
- Wilwood Big Brake Kit (this is a 6 piston front, not a 4, etc.) = $3500

I continue to maintain the cars are not direct competitors, they are further apart now in price and the BDR is readily available. They do similar things in different ways and can make either owner incredibly happy. That's what's important at the end of it all.
OK,

We DO include tires. Seat belts ARE standard and our optional expansion tank is a high quality stainless steel replica of the FE type tank, not a generic type tank.

100% of our customer DO get the limited slip because it is standard.

Yes, 17' or 18" wheels are an option on our cars as we are replicating the car more as it was in the 60's, not as a current style hot rod.

You and I do agree....the cars are NOT direct competitors and appeal to different demographics.

And for the record, I have not been in a "Red Lobster" for over twenty years.......although I did eat at the "Legal Seafood" in the Baltimore airport last year!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Damn!!!!
I just lost $20.00 betting that this would become an argument by the 40th post….
I've been around here long enough to know better.....

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Bill,

The eBay ad indicates that the car "sold for" $69,995. Where do you see that it was listed but not sold?

Simple, no bids, closed without anyone bidding/buying it

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Bahahaaa at least I did not sell you to Arthur Treachers!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Never in my mind would I pay 80k for a spf. If I touch it being a rolex, a cobra, a boat I make money. Everybody says I am lucky, wow I get lucky alot. I low ball the sheet out of everyone and have the four letter word, cash. Don't hate the player hate the game. I have never forced anyone to take my money. You either make good decisions or bad decisions all the time, not half good decisions and half bad decision I make good ones.

The first advice i give to my new engineers is do the opposite of everyone else 99% of the time and you will be right 100% of the time.

QUOTE=fordracing65;1246623]If your paying $60,000 for a roller and putting $20,000 in engine, trans, etc your at $80,000, not in your wildest dreams are you selling that SPF for a profit, unless the buyer is on drugs...[/quote]
Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Never in my mind would I pay 80k for a spf. If I touch it being a rolex, a cobra, a boat I make money. Everybody says I am lucky, wow I get lucky alot. I low ball the sheet out of everyone and have the four letter word, cash. Don't hate the player hate the game. I have never forced anyone to take my money. You either make good decisions or bad decisions all the time, not half good decisions and half bad decision I make good ones.

The first advice i give to my new engineers is do the opposite of everyone else 99% of the time and you will be right 100% of the time.

QUOTE=fordracing65;1246623]If your paying $60,000 for a roller and putting $20,000 in engine, trans, etc your at $80,000, not in your wildest dreams are you selling that SPF for a profit, unless the buyer is on drugs...
[/quote]
In that case you should buy every SPF for sale, new or used, sit on them and make your profit later, plus if you have all the inventory new and used, you will set the market price...lol

Last edited by fordracing65; 06-02-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Personally, I don't know why anybody spends a dime on these stupid cars.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I know by the time I'm done spending money on these cars I could have almost bought an original Cobra...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I now need the money I spent on this car to finish building my house... not very good form at all

Oh well, I'm gonna have to give it all to Obama, anyways...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutosnake View Post
I now need the money I spent on this car to finish building my house... not very good form at all

Oh well, I'm gonna have to give it all to Obama, anyways...
I live in a cardboard box in an alley, but I have a cobra...
TN Shelby Cobra and Tutosnake like this.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

the more I learn.. and add to my wish list...the MORE I REALIZE I will be living in a cardboard box. .under a bridge or in a van down by the river to have of these cars..........
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown871 View Post
the more I learn.. and add to my wish list...the MORE I REALIZE I will be living in a cardboard box. .under a bridge or in a van down by the river to have of these cars..........
If you are still looking I have a nice blue/white Superformance from your neck of the woods available. PM or call me for details.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you are still looking I have a nice blue/white Superformance from your neck of the woods available. PM or call me for details.
Are you sticking to the $49,900 includes tires and seat belts?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seat belts come in the dunnage box with the chassis, they must be clipped in to the mounts. I include tires (four and they are NOT BFG TAs) or a tire allowance (to provide the choice of brand or upgrade as an option) on the chassis I sell.

No, a battery is not included and yes, stripes are optional.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default pm sent

Quote:
pm sent
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Seat belts come in the dunnage box with the chassis, they must be clipped in to the mounts. I include tires (four and they are NOT BFG TAs) or a tire allowance (to provide the choice of brand or upgrade as an option) on the chassis I sell.

No, a battery is not included and yes, stripes are optional.
I understand stripes being optional, but no tires, no installed seat belts and no battery?

I know there's a theory there, but a Kirkham is supplied with these parts.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I understand stripes being optional, but no tires, no installed seat belts and no battery?

I know there's a theory there, but a Kirkham is supplied with these parts.
As I said seat belts ARE standard and supplied. The factory does not supply the tires, the dealer does. As the chassis' ship without wheels it would make no sense to provide tires from South Africa. The battery is part of the install/completion and again subject to the customers choice and purchase. As is the driveshaft which will vary with transmission used (TKO, Toploader, etc.)

The price comparison to Kirkham is a little skewed. Kirkham undoubtedly has one of the finest products on the market but the standard price point is without paint, unassembled, unwired, etc. That does not relate to the Superformance or Backdraft "rolling chassis" sales model. Add a good paint job, assembling and setting the suspension, installation of the seats and interior and everyone's favorite project.....wiring!!!

For the record the dealer does clip the seatbelts into the eyelets unless the buyer requests otherwise. Heck, I think even Patrick could do that job!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As I said seat belts ARE standard and supplied. The factory does not supply the tires, the dealer does. As the chassis' ship without wheels it would make no sense to provide tires from South Africa. The battery is part of the install/completion and again subject to the customers choice and purchase. As is the driveshaft which will vary with transmission used (TKO, Toploader, etc.)

The price comparison to Kirkham is a little skewed. Kirkham undoubtedly has one of the finest products on the market but the standard price point is without paint, unassembled, unwired, etc. That does not relate to the Superformance or Backdraft "rolling chassis" sales model. Add a good paint job, assembling and setting the suspension, installation of the seats and interior and everyone's favorite project.....wiring!!!

For the record the dealer does clip the seatbelts into the eyelets unless the buyer requests otherwise. Heck, I think even Patrick could do that job!
I just think of seatbelts, wheels/tires and batteries as being fairly run-of-the-mill standard stuff for a roller to come with. I wasn't trying to compare per se to a Kirkham.

I'm no genius, but a Kirkham is delivered as rolling chassis (with driveshaft and a whole bunch of other parts) and only an engine and trans are needed to drop in. That's how I bought mine. As for paint, the polishing option is now a $15,000 option, with brushed stripes extra, which is in the ball park for a "Pebble Beach" type paint job.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I just think of seatbelts, wheels/tires and batteries as being fairly run-of-the-mill standard stuff for a roller to come with. I wasn't trying to compare per se to a Kirkham.

I'm no genius, but a Kirkham is delivered as rolling chassis (with driveshaft and a whole bunch of other parts) and only an engine and trans are needed to drop in. That's how I bought mine. As for paint, the polishing option is now a $15,000 option, with brushed stripes extra, which is in the ball park for a "Pebble Beach" type paint job.
Mine came as a roller also, seat were in, belts where in, I wanted to do the carpet myself but they will install it if you want. Only thing you really need when getting a Kirkham is paint, or polish=brush finish. The Kirkhams just raised the prices on the finish, it is still a bargain now, was even a better bargain then, for the little extra it's a no brainer if you can to get the Kirkham and be done with ever wanting another Cobra...