Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     
Default CA SB100 and REG 124 question

I am starting the CA SB100 process and have found some great info on this forum. I just returned from my first DMV visit, and I *think* it went well, but I have a couple of specific questions - mainly about the REG 124 form.

Based on Panavia's helpful thread (SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH), I visited DMV today to get the process started. I will go back on Jan 2nd at 8 am to get my SB100 sequence number.

During my visit today (San Mateo DMV), I showed the clerk my COA, REG 434 form, and REG 5036 form, along with all receipts, etc. I left with a 3-month temporary operating permit (she said I can extend it later if necessary), TIN number, and my original COA and paperwork (she did not take them). I paid my taxes and first-year registration. It was my understanding that they would fill out the REG 124 form so I could take it to CHP for my VIN, once the car is completed. But she told me she knows about that form, they don't even have them anymore, and I get that from CHP when I go for my VIN. Separately, she also told me I don't need a brake and light inspection, as CHP will verify this. She even called over the supervisor, who agreed.

So my questions are:
(1) Is she correct that I can get the REG 124 from CHP? If not, I'm not sure what I can do as she was adamant DMV doesn't provide it.
(2) She did not take my COA, nor my REG 434 or 5036 forms. But she did staple the forms to the form with the TIN number, and she also provided a temporary operating permit. Am I ok here?
(3) Is she correct I don't need the brake and light inspection anymore?

I know a number of people on this forum are well-versed with this process, so any help/info on these questions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I am starting the CA SB100 process and have found some great info on this forum. I just returned from my first DMV visit, and I *think* it went well, but I have a couple of specific questions - mainly about the REG 124 form.

Based on Panavia's helpful thread (SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH), I visited DMV today to get the process started. I will go back on Jan 2nd at 8 am to get my SB100 sequence number.

During my visit today (San Mateo DMV), I showed the clerk my COA, REG 434 form, and REG 5036 form, along with all receipts, etc. I left with a 3-month temporary operating permit (she said I can extend it later if necessary), TIN number, and my original COA and paperwork (she did not take them). I paid my taxes and first-year registration. It was my understanding that they would fill out the REG 124 form so I could take it to CHP for my VIN, once the car is completed. But she told me she knows about that form, they don't even have them anymore, and I get that from CHP when I go for my VIN. Separately, she also told me I don't need a brake and light inspection, as CHP will verify this. She even called over the supervisor, who agreed.

So my questions are:
(1) Is she correct that I can get the REG 124 from CHP? If not, I'm not sure what I can do as she was adamant DMV doesn't provide it.
(2) She did not take my COA, nor my REG 434 or 5036 forms. But she did staple the forms to the form with the TIN number, and she also provided a temporary operating permit. Am I ok here?
(3) Is she correct I don't need the brake and light inspection anymore?

I know a number of people on this forum are well-versed with this process, so any help/info on these questions would be appreciated. Thanks!
1. Yes, you get the 124 from the CHP only.
2. Yes, when you complete registration and all the requirements, they will take all the forms then and you get your license plates and tags.
3. I needed a B&L, as it was noted by the DMV clerk to get one. But B&L's were hit and miss back in 2008. I'm not sure about today.
lippy likes this.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Lippy,

I just called our CHP to make sure I was correct and she said I was. Here the Chp only checks the car to make sure there are no stolen parts on it and issues the vin number. You have to go to a certified brake and light place to get that done and bring that paper with you to the CHP when you go so they can see it was done.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I believe since the SB100 or SPCNS is done so infrequently, it is often filled with miss-information and confusion at the DMV. I am about 90% of the way through my registration and have found the following:
1) Originally the DMV tried to title my Cobra as a 1965 I had to correct them and wait another hour. They also did not give me a Cert of Sequence so I had to go back to the DMV and tell them I needed one.
2) I did get a Brake and Light inspection before I went to the CHP. The CHP had the form they needed. Funny that the CHP wanted me to stay in the office and not observe them inspect my Cobra, so I'm not really sure what they did.
3) The interesting thing is today when I had the BAR inspection, they told me there were only about 330 of the 500 SPCNS used in 2013. So you don't have to wait until next year to visit your local DMV, you can start the process now.
4) I have actually found the DMV registration system excellent and DMV employees were motivated to do the right thing and satisfy the customer. Clearly, the DMV has made an effort to train their employees to respect people and treat them as a valued customer.

Just keep asking questions and follow the steps outlined by others. The only reason I got screwed up with the DMV is because I didn't follow the steps outlined on this forum!

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ward,

Every DMV in the state was sent a Memo detailing step by step how to handle the SB-100 process. It was VR-2002-25. They should all have this and refer to it if they aren't sure, but seemingly they don't as the DMV here claimed there was no such thing until Sacramento called them. Then suddenly it appeared. But our DMV is one of the most unfriendly in the state.

Ron

Old 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, 289K
Not Ranked     

You may want to give CHP a quick call about whether you need the B & L inspection papers before your visit. I had my B & L inspection performed before my CHP visit last year, because I thought CHP would want to see that it had passed, but the officer said he didn’t need it.
The paper work for the B & L test needs a VIN number to show which vehicle the inspection was performed on. If you do not have a VIN number, then it can cause a problem for the test station because something needs to be written down. In my case, I ended up using the manufacturer’s serial number.
At CHP (San Jose, Junction Ave) I asked the officer if I could use the manufacturer’s serial number and he did ok that and wrote it down on his forms.

So it may be in your best interest to call CHP first and see whether it is needed during your appointment. Unless of course you already have a VIN number that CHP will recognize.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all. Great info. So on the model year issue, should I register the car as a 2013 and the engine as a 1965?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Thanks all. Great info. So on the model year issue, should I register the car as a 2013 and the engine as a 1965?
I don't think you need to declare the motor as any particular year. If you do, 1965 should be fine since it really doesn't have an impact on the SB100 process. As Ron said, the CHP is really just doing a check to verify if there any stolen parts.

Was your car previously registered in another State? If so, they would probably use the year that the car was originally registered (i.e. 2009 SPCN) as the year of the car.

If it's a new build and has never been registered, then they would identify your car as a 2013 SPCN and year first sold as 0000.

Look at your temporary paperwork to see how they entered it in the system.
lippy likes this.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, 289K
Not Ranked     

When going through a little problem with my registration renewal this year, I talked to three different BAR technicians in Sacramento in November, the last one being a supervisor. He mentioned that the model year should be the year your sequence number was obtained. So if you plan on going in on January 2nd, then if what he told me was correct, your model year should be 2014.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

The brake and lamp inspection is not always required, it just depends on what DMV calls out. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If they told you "NO" then go to CHP, then BAR, then back to DMV and collect your plates. Don't do any more than what they asked for.

Frank
Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1228,392ci,TKO
Not Ranked     

I would definitely register the car as a 1965 and engine as a 1973. I have had issues receiving registration renewal requiring smog since 2011, even though my car is SB100 certified. My car is registered as a 2006 SPCN, 1973 engine. DMV updated their data base and I got caught in the snafu. Long story short, I had to get verification from DMV, fill out a Statement of Facts and had to wait to receive my tag upon verification. It will likely happen this year, and have to go through the same BS. When you go to the referee station, it's your choice to register the car by year, or year of the engine, go with the year of the car.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just returned from my 8:00 am/Jan 2 DMV appointment with my SB100 sequence number (#28 for the year, issued at about 8:30 am). *Seems* like everything went fine, and she told me I will receive the certificate in the mail in a few weeks. Now all I need to do is finish the car. My Temporary Operating Permit expires on March 31 (though I can get it extended). So that is my goal to get the car on the road and the VIN/SB100 process finished.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Congratulations.

I remember the good ole days when we waited in long lines, braved the howling wind, the freezing rain and snow flurries (in Santa Clara, CA ) on the 1st business day of the New Year. Back then, in 2007-2008), the DMV actually ran out of the 500 SB100 certificate numbers. We used to call them "golden tickets."

Last edited by RodKnock; 01-02-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

lippy,

A very important step in the process is done, congrats!

Keep us posted as to your progress on the build and keep those photos coming
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got my BAR Inspection and the SPCN tag on my Cobra on December 30. The model year was required to be the year the vehicle is approved under the SPCN so mine was 2013. The engine year is listed as 2007. It also shows as a 7 Liter Ford with a 4 Bbl carb. Under the comments it says SB-100 Seq # 2013314 1965 Cobra Replica. I was wondering what happens when a new engine goes into the Cobra. Not sure if the State cares, but could be touchy if I put a different engine in and then tried to sell it. I guess it would be my wife or kids selling it since I don't plan on selling.....
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ward,
Congratulations on getting your Cobra all registered. As for the engine issue don't sweat it. Especially if you shold sell it to someone in another state as they aren't like this dictatorship here. But if you should blow the engine or something you can replace it with whatever engine you want. The Cobra is smog exempt because of the SPCN and I know one person who races his and he has blown two or three engines and each time has replaced them with a different one.

Ron

Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceco View Post
I would definitely register the car as a 1965 and engine as a 1973.
Do NOT even think about registering your SPCNS vehicle fraudulently as a 1965 unless you want to take the chance of having your car impounded and being convicted of a felony.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I now have a California tag on my SPF. I got Seq# in the low 300s. Besides the running around, it cost $125 extra, which of course is un-American. Think about it, with 300-400 SB-100/SPCN registrations a year in California, even with the procedures, almost any California DMV is going to be pretty rough on what to do when we walk in for registration. I had to have the CHP review (free), brake and light inspection ($125) and a smog 'inspection' (free) by the BAR. The smog inspection just confirmed I had a closed PCV system. I had to replace my cover valve breather cap with a closed cap with a fuel line quality hose to my air cleaner. A heater hose would not suffice. I look at it as long as I'm driving my Cobra around to do all the checks/inspections, that's is more fun than most of the things I have to do. Now I still have to pay for the annual registration, but no smog checks for the life of the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

After I went to the DMV and received an SB100 sequence number, I made a DMV appointment. They called back and changed it twice. When I finally took some time off and showed up on the day I had the appointment, the cop told me "I don't have time for this today." Pr***. He made me come back two weeks later and I received my VIN. By the way, the DMV specified that I did not need a B&L check (I asked the DMV woman) and the CHP didn't ask for it.

I just installed a PCV system and have my BAR appointment tomorrow. Hopefully that goes well and I can get my plates next week and be done.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Make sure the non-pcv valve cover has a breather that vents back to the carb, or you will fail.