19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

IMO, Sorted out factory rollers and factory built units; alum. or glass. From SMC, ERA, KMC, SFC with authentic replica builds to the original AC spec's. IE; 427 AC's with orig.type BBF w/orig. type 4 speed, etc. Also factory built & roller 289 FIA's & slabsides replica's with original AC spec's, will and do increase in value compared to any AC style kit. Insurance wise to say the very least. In the end; the value of any car, is in the eye of the buyer at hand! 20 years from now, both cars side by side in the same shape. Could the 2000 R be like the 69-70 Boss 429 mustang ??? Or the above listed factory AC's greatly increased in value??? Who knows! IMO, a car should be driven to it's design. I'm in the hunt for restoration parts. Not because I need them now! But because I drive my ride for what she is. A Bad Arse AC COBRA I will not wait to completely restore my AC as required. So I guess it depends on what type of driver you are & what you want? A looker/investment, a performance/investment or just an investment.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION
THERE IS NO CURE
Old 02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

For me it would be a driver car.

I never knew the older Cobra builds could be worth as much as a newer build, so that was a learning experience that I can use.

Last edited by mtrain2000; 02-08-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The most important thing to understand when selling a cobra is list on Cobra Country and follow his photo tips perfectly.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Actually, they'll probably be on the hunt for a Hummer with 22inch chrome spinners.
And make sure it has two roll bars, because you love your wife and kids.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

I'll play devil's advocate.

I'm not sure anyone will give a rat's pah-tooty about a Cobra replica in 20 years either. I mean, Patrick will be 95 years old and Chas will be 110, maybe 115 years old and farting dust.

Personally, I'd rather have a 1993 Cobra R, but I think there could be alot of fans of those mid-90's early 00's Mustangs. Though I'm not one.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't hear this said about the Mustang Cobra R, so for me, I'd pass, and take up Patrick's option of "Puerto Rican general obligation bonds".
I think Patrick is leading you astray. The bond market sucks. I'm not so sure you want to be holding onto a 5% bond, when the market goes to 10% in a few years.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think Patrick is leading you astray. The bond market sucks. I'm not so sure you want to be holding onto a 5% bond, when the market goes to 10% in a few years.
But they're trading today at 67 cents on the dollar.... Puerto Rico GO Bonds Inch Higher After S&P Downgrade -- Update - WSJ.com
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Having re-read the OP's first post, and thinking much clearer now, depending on the answers to Bill's questions, I'd say trade for the 2000 R. They only made 300.
There is a picture floating around the Cobra "R" circles of one owner who has no less than 10+ of those 300 sitting in his basement storage garage, all have never been dealer prepped.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But they're trading today at 67 cents on the dollar.... Puerto Rico GO Bonds Inch Higher After S&P Downgrade -- Update - WSJ.com
And tomorrow, they'll even be less.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I'll play devil's advocate.

I'm not sure anyone will give a rat's pah-tooty about a Cobra replica in 20 years either. I mean, Patrick will be 95 years old and Chas will be 110, maybe 115 years old and farting dust.

Personally, I'd rather have a 1993 Cobra R, but I think there could be alot of fans of those mid-90's early 00's Mustangs. Though I'm not one.
Ok I'll play...

How many of us buy the cobra replica because of the actual car itself vs those who buy it for the project and build?

The reason I pose this question is because I think it would separate those who are in it for the car itself, vs those who probably aren't purists paying homage to car, but are perhaps car hobbyist in pursuit of the "build". A cobra bodied car/hotrod is relatively cheap, accessible, do able, and just happens to have a connection to something that costs a fortune, so it makes it somewhat more appealing to do than a 32 ratrod?

Just my cheap seat analysis...
I'd be keen to hear others...
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I mean, Patrick will be 95 years old and Chas will be 110, maybe 115 years old and farting dust.
Your math needs remedial attention.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Your math needs remedial attention.
My math is real good. My humor needs remedial attention.
ERA Chas likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I just looked up a Mustang Cobra R. Nice vehicle, but IMO, the Mustang will not hold it's value as much as a well made AC Cobra. I agree, when I said a new roller is "perfect", that was not quite right. Yes there is a fair amount of "sorting out" to be done, but that never really ends. I was thinking of the road rash, corrosion, etc. All the normal parts that show wear over time don't show on a new vehicle. Visually, a new roller looks "perfect" (or the buyer will be pretty unhappy). You just don't see very often Cobras for sale with more than 50k miles. If the 50k mile Cobra still LOOKED "perfect" and had a "new" engine would it still have essentially the original value and essentially held it's value?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

The 2KR is a track car. That is what it was built to do. I have always loved it, but to me it only has 2 paths.

1) A dedicated track car and run it
2) Wrap it up and wait. (It is a classic and time will prove it)

I say keep your Cobra. Chasing monetary value is wasting energy. One is a replica kit car the other is a Mustang of very limited production, but also intended use. It looks silly on the street because of the functional aero. It looks glorious on a race track. Your replica will look good no matter where it is.

Have you driven the 2KR? Do you plan to track it?

Cobras should be driven. Life is short.

chr
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

How many times have you sat in your Cobra at a light looked in the mirror and here is a twenty something Mother with a small kid in the car , both squinting ,trying to read the badge , to find out what it is......how many cars provoke that......?
motordean likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have a theory on the future price or perceived "value" of a car.
It directly correlates to what the youth of today want, but can't yet afford.

Ask yourself this question - In a generations time from its release, will anyone give a sh!t about it?

There might be only 300 Mustang Cobra Rs, but if the youth of 93-2000 don't care for them, or aspire to own them, then in a generations time, despite being cashed up, they probably wont part with the funds for one.
Actually, they'll probably be on the hunt for a Hummer with 22inch chrome spinners.

I believe this holds true also for cobra kits also.
How many times have you heard these stories...
- I always wanted to build one...
- I fell in love with them when I was a little boy...

I don't hear this said about the Mustang Cobra R, so for me, I'd pass, and take up Patrick's option of "Puerto Rican general obligation bonds".

just sayin'
By that logic today's "kids" will want a self driving vehicle so that they can concentrate full time on their devices while striving to isolate themselves even further from the "real" world...Hell their knowledge of History being limited to what they see on reality TV, their best guess at who Carroll Shelby was would probably be a gay Persian hairdresser...
Old 06-02-2017, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Smile

There are always exceptions...but....replica cars depreciate....some more than others....if you have a limited amount of money....buy a air cooled Porsche .... I have owned them since the 60's and all of them increased in value.... not adjusted for inflation ....

Last edited by Bartruff1; 06-03-2017 at 05:34 PM..