Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

What dose NFS on the windshield mean when SunDude finds him trying to sell at 87K

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDan View Post
What dose NFS on the windshield mean when SunDude finds him trying to sell at 87K
No Freakin' Shelby?
rodneym likes this.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDan View Post
NFS originally was put on there to signify "Not For Sale"

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
NFS originally was put on there to signify "Not For Sale"
Bill your answer we all knew, but I like Academic's answer better

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
The owner should be aware that there are legal issues involved with affixing a manufacturer's ID tag to a car bearing an incorrect VIN, especially when said VIN is owned by someone else and involves valuation in excess of a million dollars.
I can almost see someone affixing a repo Shelby data plate with "ERAxxxx." But, to affix the plate and then use a real Shelby #? Wow, that's more than ballzy, that's idiocy. If I were the owner of the real 3026, I know I'd be sending out a "cease and desist" letter.

As for the price of $87,500, well, it will be sitting for a while. Asking $67,500 would be more like it.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The owner should be aware that there are legal issues involved with affixing a manufacturer's ID tag to a car bearing an incorrect VIN, especially when said VIN is owned by someone else and involves valuation in excess of a million dollars.

I scan auctions and listing I hate that a 1966 cobra that was built decades later is allowed to be registered this way. Why can't it be registered as 2007 replica of a 1966 model. I know there are reasons that it is done in some states but it is deceiving as hell.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I'll Answer The Question on 3026

In a Club, like this, one has to ask oneself..,,,at what point does someone that wants to build the Perfect Replicar, honoring an iconic Supercar like the Cobra, STOP? This 1989 ERA fiberglass Replica was never marketed for sale or sold as anything but what it WAS and IS! (w/the required, original "ERA" VIN Plate IS in place with matching title, and by law, neither have ever been altered!). If the replica Cobra Chassis plates were not to be used: Tony Branda (since 1975), Finishline, eBay merchants and a 1/2 dozen other sources would not have been selling them Worldwide for the last 25+ years. To suggest one of the past owners of this great car, or myself, would try and fraudulently sell any REPLICAR as anything other, then what it is...IS ludicrous and just a cheap shot. Since many of us couldn't afford an original, one would suppose ALL the charm to building any knock-off would be: 'How Close You Could Make It Look Exact To The Original'? I would imagine Mr. Shelby or Mr. Boosalis would probably be honored by these Dedications.

ALL of the cars shown in our Museum have Showcards, Window Stickers or original brochures on them that help tell 'the dejavu story' of these great classics (orig.cost/color /equipment, how many made; etc). It is, after all, a fun Car Museum. This car was so beautifully done and recvd. so much attention we kept it on display for over 15 years, only to finally offer it for sale in the past few months (for the critics: what do you do when you really DON'T want to sell?- price it high).
~This 'event' reported by Mr.Wullf (CobraDan) is a travesty ~
PS. The Gray AC MKIV small block is 'real' and the gorgeous 1969 Camaro RS Z28 was a real Crossram JL-8 that recently sold to a Camaro 'expert'.
Happy Motoring...come see us sometime. Kerry
Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curator View Post
In a Club, like this, one has to ask oneself..,,,at what point does someone that wants to build the Perfect Replicar, honoring an iconic Supercar like the Cobra, STOP...
Sir,
I guess life is different down south but here in New York, your response would not work with museum curators and gallery owners.

You are misleading the paying public, surrounding your non-Shelby car with Shelby's picture and plaque and the CSX number. If someone couldn't read English, by looks alone your car looks like the real deal.

Best of luck to your museum.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It looks to me that the ERA is/was being displayed as CSX3026, an original comp Cobra.

Personally, I have no issue with a replica replicating an original car, even to the degree that every piece of the original was copied but it should never be misrepresented as anything other than a replica. That's my opinion of it.
Larry
Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
In a Club, like this, one has to ask oneself..,,,at what point does someone that wants to build the Perfect Replicar, honoring an iconic Supercar like the Cobra, STOP?
You STOP before affixing an actual CSX # with a repro VIN plate and the ad plaque not having the words "ERA replica." There are legal issues and if I were the owner of the actual CSX 3026, then you would be hearing from my lawyer. At a minimum, it is misleading and potentially fraudulent.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You STOP before affixing an actual CSX # with a repro VIN plate and the ad plaque not having the words "ERA replica." There are legal issues and if I were the owner of the actual CSX 3026, then you would be hearing from my lawyer. At a minimum, it is misleading and potentially fraudulent.
Ehhhh, I don't know.... It's kind of like just offering up a placebo to people. If it helps them enjoy life by thinking they're seeing an original Cobra, and you're not stealing money from them, then what's the harm? Anyone that knows even a little bit about these cars can tell the difference between an ERA and an original, so I say "what's the big deal?"
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

I guess the big deal is ... it's FRAUD. That's frowned upon.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary cobra
Not Ranked     

Has anyone thought that maybe he has gotten permission from the owner to display the vin # I agree that it makes a lot of people so happy when they think they have seen the real deal I have days when I get tired of explaining what mine is and just say yes to the question is it real and sometimes those guys walk away with the greatest memory of their life to say they touched one.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ehhhh, I don't know.... It's kind of like just offering up a placebo to people. If it helps them enjoy life by thinking they're seeing an original Cobra, and you're not stealing money from them, then what's the harm? Anyone that knows even a little bit about these cars can tell the difference between an ERA and an original, so I say "what's the big deal?"
There's a right and wrong. And that's wrong. A line was crossed IMO.

And I doubt that anyone who affixes a repro VIN plate to their replica anything gets the owner's approval. As an owner, why would you agree? But first you would have to locate the real CSX owner and that's nearly impossible in our society where privacy is priority.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's a well known fact that many of the world's finest art galleries display copies of fine artworks, interspersed with originals. The copies are not labeled as such. No one is harmed from this practice. Would you say they "crossed a line" or committed some sort of fraud by doing this? At the most, there is, occasionally, a very savvy art expert that can tell the difference and is a bit disappointed.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's a well known fact that many of the world's finest art galleries display copies of fine artworks, interspersed with originals. The copies are not labeled as such. No one is harmed from this practice. Would you say they "crossed a line" or committed some sort of fraud by doing this? At the most, there is, occasionally, a very savvy art expert that can tell the difference and is a bit disappointed.
First, yes, it's wrong to sell a copy without labeling as such. Second, this ERA has a label which identifies it as CSX3026. Lastly, how do you know no one is harmed with this art gallery practice? Are you able to monitor each one for fraudulent practices?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary cobra
Not Ranked     

Ok I bet the tile states what the car is and as for not locating the owner it seems several people knew exactly which car it was and who owned it these cars are monitored and watched better than any criminal I have ever seen. But we all have our opinion's.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Exactly. Every State has a ruling on VIN's so, its probably best if anyone who is running one of these reproduction plates on their car to check with your own State DMV. I've read the published language written for FL., and it seems clear but, I will contact FL. DMV this week, ask if they will delve into it further and give me an opinion. Cannot speak for the other 2 states this car was titled in, or your individual states but, the best solution here is to simply remove the "Shelby" tag. I'm legal as long as the original ERA VIN is unaltered... I could care less about this tin plate. The replicar 'fantasy' has to stop somewhere.
Thanks everyone for all your input.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I guess the big deal is ... it's FRAUD. That's frowned upon.
The SAAC Registrar checked in above and calls it FRAUD. I'll go with what he said. He knows a bit about the subject.

As for titling, some states don't care what you call it.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Exactly. Every State has a ruling on VIN's so, its probably best if anyone who is running one of these reproduction plates on their car to check with your own State DMV. I've read the published language written for FL., and it seems clear but, I will contact FL. DMV this week, ask if they will delve into it further and give me an opinion. Cannot speak for the other 2 states this car was titled in, or your individual states but, the best solution here is to simply remove the "Shelby" tag. I'm legal as long as the original ERA VIN is unaltered... I could care less about this tin plate. The replicar 'fantasy' has to stop somewhere.
Thanks everyone for all your input.
Sir
I checked out your museum's website. I am impressed with your guitar signed by the "Pawn Stars" cast.

Do you have more replica art in your museum?

Thanks,
Future paying customer of fine replica art