Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

To support that, here is a Club Cobra Poll....

Average Age - Take II (Poll)
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     

My 20 year old son drives a '66 Mustang GT coupe restomod that he helped build and would take that over a tuner any day. I get youngsters, teens, 20 somethings on up who get really excited to sit in my FFR.

Factory Five is hedging their bets by making their "Roadster" able to fit all sorts of alternative drive trains, and their new 818 is built on a Subaru WRX single donor platform.

I believe the smart manufacturers will continue to evolve their offerings to accept current technology, and new offerings will draw in the tuner crowd for years and years to come.

I don't weep for the coming demise of the industry. Learning to build your own creation isn't reserved for just the old farts like us.

The hobby is on an upswing, and I am confident in the future of the industry.

IMHO,

Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Yep.

As far as website appeal, BDR/Vintage leads the pack. The car videos are crisp, good audio, excellent photography, the music fresh. I also like their youtube channel and their marketing style. Their "black" series reminds me of the Harley Davidson "Dark Custom" bikes aimed for a new buyer to the H-D lifestyle.
Well good luck. I would expect makers/dealers will probably read your comments here and elsewhere, determine they are generally toxic in nature, credentials = electric car guy on the outside looking in, and then quickly move on to more productive things.

jmho
Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
This isn’t a coincidence. Shelby Cobras and Cobra Replicas are a car whose sales depend disproportionately — almost exclusively, in fact — on middle-aged Caucasian males. drivers younger than 40 generally lack the time, interest or the bankroll to buy a Cobra. But by the time they get into their 60s or older, the noise and joint pain have begun to make driving lose its allure. You might still drive hard in your 60s, but you’re doing it less frequently and you probably aren’t buying a new Cobra.

The sweet spot is the mid-40s to early 50s. And with the Baby Boomers — the largest and wealthiest generation in history — now largely aged out of this key demographic bracket, Cobra MFG have a serious problem. Generation X — my generation — is not nearly large enough to pick up the slack, and Generation Y (aka “the Millennials” or “Echo Boomers”) are decades away from being in the demographic sweet spot for Cobras, and this assumes they take to driving like their dads did. The number of American men aged 40-49 is set to decline through the early 2020s and won’t reach its old 2010 peak until 2035.
You folks are thinking of "chronological age", but everyone also has a "biological age" too. Essentially, depending on factors such as exercise, diet, alcohol consumption, amount of sleep, smoking, happiness, etc., your biological age could be far more or much less than your chronological age.

If you have the time, take this simple 2-minute test to establish your "biological age."

Find out your Biological-Age

Morgan Spurlock of "Inside Man" just did a show for CNN on this topic.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Well hell...according to that, I'm about 17.

Funny thing is, I feel about 14.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Well hell...according to that, I'm about 17.

Funny thing is, I feel about 14.
Well, then, maybe the test isn't so accurate then.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

My Cobra took at least 10 years off me. Imagine some of you experienced the same.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think the Cobra makers have done a poor job at marketing the car for younger buyers. I looked at the websites of JBL, ERA, SHell, Hurricane, Kirkham, FFR, BDR, SPE and they all suck. The websites feel and look old as the cars they are selling. Use social media sites! Young people are over these sites and they have money to spend! The cars need to be in movies, music videos, sporting events, video games. Celebrities need to be seen driving them, get arrested in them. The cars need a makeover, pimped out with modern comforts- auto trans, AC, Heat, Nav system, traction control, bigger wheels, and engine choice, whether it is a Chevy, Ford, Electric, turbo, etc. These cars can be hip again. History has proven that everything old is new. Sell/Market/promote Cobras like fashion accessories. Look at Apple tablets and Dr Dre headphones as examples. These two companies took old inventions, promoted them as the must have accessory and young people bought it!

Why don't you offer some detailed advice or ideas on improvements to website.

Thing is you can pimp out your cobra with all that stuff but isn't the main draw the rawness of a cobra? That authentic sound, the look....does anyone actually have an air conditioner in one? As far as the automatic is there one that would fit in a cobra similar to the high end ones. Those dual transmissions ..one taking care of the even gears and the other the odd gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm quoting myself so I don't pass along bad info.

There were five (5) 1963 Grand Sport Corvettes. Two (2) of them were roadsters.
002 is at my friends place in Philly. Has a duplicate body and engine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Hold on my friend, when did being old become an insult? I pride myself on being a miserable old SOB. Me thinks that folks that point out our advanced years are actually trying to excuse their own lack of assperience just like Justin Bieber when he pled "I'm just a kid!" to excuse his childish antics.

We may be getting so old that we may forget and end up loading our pants, but when we do remember to go, we at least know front to back is the bestest way.

...just sayin
You know I was describing a movie "Bingo Long and the Traveling All Stars... and the response I received was Oh that old movie!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think the Cobra makers have done a poor job at marketing the car for younger buyers. ------ The cars need a makeover, pimped out with modern comforts- auto trans, AC, Heat, Nav system, traction control, bigger wheels, and engine choice, whether it is a Chevy, Ford, Electric, turbo, etc. These cars can be hip again. History has proven that everything old is new.
What you are describing is already out there. It's called a viper.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 05-21-2014, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC 67 Cobra/302
Not Ranked     

Nothing else drives quite like a well turned out original or quality replica. I think there will always be demand for that.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, I want a Cobra. It's on the bucket list but I am in no hurry.

Yes, it is a fake because I can't afford the real deal.

Yes, I want the Cobra to piss off the wifey.

Yes, I am not a Cobra guy. Just drive it for a year or so until the next new toy.

Yes, the Cobra will eventually turn into a new kitchen or private school tuition.
If I were you, I'd save my money and time and get a WRX. You don't seem to "get it" when it comes to a cobra.
But it has been fun watching you tweak us cobra owners!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO) spent a $1 Million on his Kirkham Cobra and, unbelievably, didn't install A/C, Navi, traction control, bigger wheels, cup holders, and G-d forbid, no radio/CD player/bluetooth/iPod adapter.

What was he thinking?

How To Build An All-Billet Aluminum Cobra

The Art of Engineering – Kirkham Motorsports Builds the Ultimate Cobra Roadster

The Art Of Billet – Larry Ellison’s Aluminum Cobra | StangTV

Didn't get a lot of press though.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
If I were you, I'd save my money and time and get a WRX.
Actually, I think it makes far more sense to get solar panels installed on his home, than purchase a non-DD non-electric eggshell, as NYG so eloquently described it.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
Why don't you offer some detailed advice or ideas on improvements to website.

Thing is you can pimp out your cobra with all that stuff but isn't the main draw the rawness of a cobra? That authentic sound, the look....does anyone actually have an air conditioner in one? As far as the automatic is there one that would fit in a cobra similar to the high end ones. Those dual transmissions ..one taking care of the even gears and the other the odd gears.

more video, audio, better scanned pictures. Add 3-D build graphics so the buyer can see how the car will look. Checkout the corvette stingray website. That is an excellent website design.

I think Vintage is the only Cobra maker that shows High Def videos of their new build cars on the road and it is exciting to see and hear the noises these cars make.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO) spent a $1 Million on his Kirkham Cobra and, unbelievably, didn't install A/C, Navi, traction control, bigger wheels, cup holders, and G-d forbid, no radio/CD player/bluetooth/iPod adapter.

What was he thinking?
He didn't need AC in the Cobra because he installed it on his island, Lanai.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think the Cobra makers have done a poor job at marketing the car for younger buyers. I looked at the websites of JBL, ERA, SHell, Hurricane, Kirkham, FFR, BDR, SPE and they all suck.
I'm a selfish guy so I say "good"!
I don't want 100,000 more replicas on the road.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I know Jay Leno trends "old" so the "utes" (youths) may not remember this commercial from about 5 years ago, but it definitely catches the eye of any car fanatic:

Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I think Vintage is the only Cobra maker that shows High Def videos of their new build cars on the road and it is exciting to see and hear the noises these cars make.

Most of the manuf. you describe in your first post are either barely existent (JBL, really? How many cars have they built in the last 10 years?) or prefer to stay 'exclusive' and maintain a tiny yearly output. FFR probably sells as many as they can build and has stretched out into other markets as well. Plus with the 21 jiggawatts of FFRs out there it's not like they need a website to sell their product. When I got interested I had my choice of locals cars to see, ride and even drive before I ordered one.

Insurance and regulation is going to kill this hobby long before a lack of interest in the Cobra itself.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you remember back in the old days of 2012, when you could go into a Costco and purchase a brand new Kirkham?

Replicas in Bulk: Go to Costco, Come Home with a Shelby Cobra Clone
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
If I were you, I'd save my money and time and get a WRX. You don't seem to "get it" when it comes to a cobra.
But it has been fun watching you tweak us cobra owners!
nope probably not. I am just "renting" for a year, passing through. I will try not to lower your property