19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm, I think I could use this to apply sprinkles to my nightly ice cream treat. It looks perfect for that.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Hmmmm, I think I could use this to apply sprinkles to my nightly ice cream treat. It looks perfect for that.

For you I think it's better as a suppository...
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Ok, I am completely confused here. Why is an overflow bottle needed? If the intent is to save cats, ok, save cats. I can't ever recall seeing any antifreeze or water on the floor after a hard run. Oil yes, water or antifreeze, not a drop. So what is the intended purpose?

Phil
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

just to catch any overflow....and according to chas it has medicinal qualities for any nasty roids you may have from over litigating a donkey fart
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Ha Ha! I used a diet coke bottle tie wrapped to the frame and dumped the overflow tube into it. It was just like the expansion tank on a regular car - it would get some in it, but it would get sucked back in. I had more orphan bolts and nuts on the garage floor than coolant.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Ok, I am completely confused here. Why is an overflow bottle needed? If the intent is to save cats, ok, save cats. I can't ever recall seeing any antifreeze or water on the floor after a hard run. Oil yes, water or antifreeze, not a drop. So what is the intended purpose?

Phil
The purpose of overflow tanks on 427's and 289's is to allow for fluid expansion. When the car is driven, especially on hot days, then shut off, the coolant's temp rises with heat soak. If it's just water, at 212 it boils-bit higher with coolant. Radiator caps rated 16-20 pounds pressurize the system so the boiling points are a bit higher. Boiling=expansion; that's why the tanks are there. If the expanded fluid fills the tank, it runs out the thoughtfully provided overflow tube-onto the ground.
Race sanction bodies only permit water and prohibit you from putting any on the surface.
That's what the overflow bottles prevent.
Pet owners have found a new use for the...

Last edited by ERA Chas; 07-26-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Phil, first a note on what this is not. It is not a coolant recovery system. I do not have a coolant recovery style radiator cap, so it would not suck the coolant back in the system even if the volume of the bottle was large enough to support a recovery. Second, the first time you change out your coolant you will undoubtedly over-fill your surge tank a bit. Then, periodically, you will have a little coolant overflow (you would only notice it if it occurred in your garage). More coolant comes out at the beginning, less each time after that, eventually none at all. My "sprinkles bottle" system is mainly there to protect my pets, as my children no longer lick concrete floors. Finally, most tracks require some sort of coolant catch can (like the nice Moroso can Chas posted, not my little bottle). This is because of the dangers of fluids on the track itself. The harder you run your engine, the hotter it will become, and the likelihood of a spritz of coolant will increase. We don't need Rick Lake going in to a corner at 140MPH and hitting patrickt's puddle of Prestone.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-26-2014 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: I see Chas and I posted, again, at the same time....
Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...as my children no longer lick concrete floors.
That explains SOOOOO much. Priceless.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How Much is That Much?

Large Arbor, as another continuing courtesy to the Cobra community, and so you can visualize the answer better, I cleaned out the sprinkles bottle and took her for a run this afternoon. It's in the low 80's and I kept the revs up high so I had a nice heat soak when I pulled back in the garage. The temperature on the gauge went to 95C in the garage. Here is what she spit out (it's fairly typical for my engine):

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...and I kept the revs up high so I had a nice heat soak when I pulled back in the garage.
Wow!-must have pushed the tell-tale needle to 3200 huh??
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Wow!-must have pushed the tell-tale needle to 3200 huh??
What would you do if I didn't keep you entertained?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

patrickt, your car shouldn't be doing that if you had the cooling system set-up correctly/optimized. Just install a puke tank like the ones previously suggested. Jegs and Summit sell small ones that are black and against the frame rails you can't even see them (ERA Chas' photos prove that). That residual that flows into your sprinkles bottle will just get sucked right back into the expansion tank after every one of your spirited runs.

You are definitely the queen of drama at CC. Congrats.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
patrickt, your car shouldn't be doing that if you had the cooling system set-up correctly/optimized. Just install a puke tank like the ones previously suggested. Jegs and Summit sell small ones that are black and against the frame rails you can't even see them (ERA Chas' photos prove that). That residual that flows into your sprinkles bottle will just get sucked right back into the expansion tank after every one of your spirited runs.

You are definitely the queen of drama at CC. Congrats.
Well, he's definitely a queen of some type.
ERA Chas likes this.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ACademic, it is not a coolant recovery system. Chas does not have a coolant recovery system either. 99% of the Cobras on here do not have a coolant recovery system (they just have one-way catch reservoirs)... and most of the guys here don't know that there is a difference between a recovery cap and a standard cap. If you're part of that group, you can read more about them here: Radiator Caps including the "Putnam Suck Test." All my system is doing is searching for the optimum coolant level after its recent flush and fill. It will eventually stop that small spitting for all but the hottest runs, and then it will be time for another flush and fill and we'll start the same process over again.

And RodKnock, I did not read that "queen of some type" post either.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

The catch cans are required for any track use as well. Newbies always generate all kinds of last minute ideas when they get to the track and find out.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the education. I get it now. What can I say, but I am a newbie. I have not tracker mine yet and even when its been the hottest, it tops out at 200. I have not seen it get above that even when shutting it down after a hard run. I do open the hood to let it cool easier.

I am running with antifreeze due to last years bitter cold and a limited portable heater in the garage.

Phil
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the education. I get it now. What can I say, but I am a newbie. I have not tracker mine yet and even when its been the hottest, it tops out at 200. I have not seen it get above that even when shutting it down after a hard run. I do open the hood to let it cool easier.
The learning process is half the fun. Just remember that FEs are a little funny. Jamo, Chas, RodKnock and I have them in our Cobras. I'm not sure what ACademic has in his (actually, I'm not even sure he has a Cobra). Experience is really the best teacher though on FEs. The really old guys that used to work in the dealerships back in the 60's are over on the FE Forum, and their advice is worth its weight in gold.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I read the FE forum often. I can always learn. Now if we only had a forum on how to change a stub axle seal. That's the next project on my list. My FE is below. I have an overflow tube that drains out the bottom. I have not seen any antifreeze or water on the ground.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, I read the FE forum often. I can always learn. Now if we only had a forum on how to change a stub axle seal. That's the next project on my list. My FE is below. I have an overflow tube that drains out the bottom. I have not seen any antifreeze or water on the ground.
Very nice. The PITA with FEs and coolant is when you flush and fill you always get an air bubble or two. There's a lot of threads on here and the FE Forum that give different tricks on eliminating them, but it's still a PITA. Then when you fill up the radiator and, maybe, half fill the expansion tank, it takes a while for the air bubbles to work out and the coolant level to sort itself out by squirting out the overflow tube. By the time you get it just right, it's time to flush and fill again.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

How often do you flush and fill? Once a year? I plan to do that this fall as it has not been done yet.

Phil