LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
In years to come when the wealthy collectors are a new generation looking for the fast cars of their youth and if Carroll Shelby's legendary status or notoriety dies off or is diminished the real losers will likely be the millionaires that paid millions for the original cars. That may be the biggest yuck yuck of all. After all if the enthusiast base for and interest in Cobras diminishes the originals are at the epicenter of that problem.
Herein I think lies the rub...

We liked the cars because we are of the era when the original cars were still active. I don't see very many Cobras in the hands of 20 year olds. I'll go out on a limb and say that most of the owners are 60-ish.

The Cobra isn't likely to bring back the memories of a new generation of collectors. I'll assert there will always be a market for the originals. It'd be a good guess that the total available market (TAM) for recreation Cobras (regardless of who makes them) is getting smaller rather than larger. I made the same claim in the guy that wanted to put Shelby and Kirkham out of business with his brand spankin' new cheaper alloy body that he should check his business plan...
Old 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Herein I think lies the rub...

We liked the cars because we are of the era when the original cars were still active. I don't see very many Cobras in the hands of 20 year olds. I'll go out on a limb and say that most of the owners are 60-ish.
Yup, I have a 20 and 22 year old that have no interest which in some ways makes me sad. But that it life...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A BDR costs $75k now??? No wonder this hobby is pretty much just for old farts any more.
this is why I suspect Shelby bosses kept all the 50 50th annv. cars to themselves. there isn't that many old farts willing to drop $200K or more. it's a big money grab. maybe the last big pay lump day for the company. 50 cars. 50th anniversary edition at Barrett Jackson 2015

what's the next special editions, 60 60th anniversary cobras in 2025? probably another lawsuit
Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
However, while you can say that the continuation series Shelby's are "copies" of the original series, which they are as they must be in order to recreate the car again there is no escaping the fact they are Carroll Shelbys copies of his original series and are genuine Cobras and genuine Shelby Cobras. They are factually and legally the only car that are Cobras other than the original series and those other few noted in the Registry as quailfying. As such they will always command a premium over copies that are "copies of Cobras."

In years to come when the wealthy collectors are a new generation looking for the fast cars of their youth and if Carroll Shelby's legendary status or notoriety dies off or is diminished the real losers will likely be the millionaires that paid millions for the original cars. That may be the biggest yuck yuck of all. After all if the enthusiast base for and interest in Cobras diminishes the originals are at the epicenter of that problem.
Contradictory. The CSX copies will ALWAYS command a premium because they're "genuine", but the owners of the original CSX's will be the real losers due to loss of status/legacy?

The originals will always be the "Mona Lisa's" and worth a boatload.

If interest diminishes in the Shelby status/legacy in the future, then the original CSX 2000's and CSX 3000's won't be the ones to be the real losers. The CSX premium for the 4000/6000/7000/8000 series will be ZERO and thus the real losers.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Do you ask the manufacturer's cost for every product you buy? Why is this any different?
Here's what I want to know.

Why is the cost of a toothbrush $3-$5 at CVS or Walgreens? The manufacturing cost of a toothbrush must be $0.50, if that. Do you know how many toothbrushes are sold each year. They even offer special editions like Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck.

Proctor & Gamble must be making a mint on toothbrushes. I guess that's why I own it instead of CSBI (Carroll Shelby International), CVS, etc.

I wish I knew the manufacturing cost of a toothbrush. That would be important to know.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Here's what I want to know.

Why is the cost of a toothbrush $3-$5 at CVS or Walgreens? The manufacturing cost of a toothbrush must be $0.50, if that. Do you know how many toothbrushes are sold each year. They even offer special editions like Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck.

Proctor & Gamble must be making a mint on toothbrushes. I guess that's why I own it instead of CSBI (Carroll Shelby International), CVS, etc.

I wish I knew the manufacturing cost of a toothbrush. That would be important to know.
lol, love it...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Contradictory. The CSX copies will ALWAYS command a premium because they're "genuine", but the owners of the original CSX's will be the real losers due to loss of status/legacy?

The originals will always be the "Mona Lisa's" and worth a boatload.

If interest diminishes in the Shelby status/legacy in the future, then the original CSX 2000's and CSX 3000's won't be the ones to be the real losers. The CSX premium for the 4000/6000/7000/8000 series will be ZERO and thus the real losers.
The originals can be Mona Lisas all day long. If the interest in Cobras and Shelbys tank their fall is the steepest. If the next generations lose interest in the Mona Lisa and DaVinchi it becomes just another old painting. Pretty simple really.

Also if the premium on Shelbys wither based on evaporated interest where does that leave cars that aren't even Shebys?

Last edited by REAL 1; 04-21-2015 at 08:21 PM..
Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everything you said is true, the next generation will want raced up Honda civics, teenagers think my car is cool, but what they will really want in 30 years will be a restored 2005 Subaru wrx sti, lol, so the cobra REPLICA, Shelby's will prob be worth, well you know...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Default business as usual for Shelby and Planet Cobra

Shelby performance vehicle dealer eyes Mount Pleasant - Post and Courier
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Whatever Continuations will be worth, they will be worth more than Kirkhams, then ERA, then SPF, on down the 'pecking order'.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=rodneym;1345876]Whatever Continuations will be worth, they will be worth more than Kirkhams, then ERA, then SPF, on down the 'pecking order'.[/QUOT

That's why I did not buy my car as an investment, an aluminum Shelby will be worth more because it cost more in the beginning...replica I mean over a Kirkham and down the line...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

And we're back to the "mine is bigger than yours" debate.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

[quote=fordracing65;1345879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Whatever Continuations will be worth, they will be worth more than Kirkhams, then ERA, then SPF, on down the 'pecking order'.[/QUOT

That's why I did not buy my car as an investment, an aluminum Shelby will be worth more because it cost more in the beginning...replica I mean over a Kirkham and down the line...
You clearly must seem to know that every guy that buys a Shelby buys it as an investment and for no other reason. That is an amazing feat. You should be heavily into stocks with that talent but you already know that. With your winnings you should be able to by a real Cobra.

Your feigned faux pas intended as a put down is factually accurate when applying Websters definition. It's all in the current Registry.

You should also apply your amazing deductive powers to the question of why Shelbys cost more than Kirkhams. Once you find the answer please report back and enlighten us.

Last edited by REAL 1; 04-22-2015 at 05:13 AM..
Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
And we're back to the "mine is bigger than yours" debate.
No actually were not. It actually was never that. However, some like to say that always directing it towards Shelby owners as a further put down.

Nevertheless, if it is an argument of "ours is bigger than yours" the argument needs you to be saying "no, mine is just as big".

Kinda like the black guy who asked me for money once in Trenton who when I said "no" angrily accused me of refusing because he was black. My response was the only reason he is accusing me of that is because I'm white. He shut up and walked away having no response. Screw him.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Mine's way blacker than yours...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The originals can be Mona Lisas all day long. If the interest in Cobras and Shelbys tank their fall is the steepest. If the next generations lose interest in the Mona Lisa and DaVinchi it becomes just another old painting. Pretty simple really.

Also if the premium on Shelbys wither based on evaporated interest where does that leave cars that aren't even Shebys?
IMO, the originals will always be sought after by the "cognoscenti", the "fine art" collector types, because I think they'll always buy those special few "Mona Lisa" type collectibles. If interest diminishes in the Carroll Shelby legacy in future years, then I think it's the modern CSX's that take a hit. They'll be seen as just rebadged Kirkhams with CSX VIN's as someone else here said.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
IMO, the originals will always be sought after by the "cognoscenti", the "fine art" collector types, because I think they'll always buy those special few "Mona Lisa" type collectibles. If interest diminishes in the Carroll Shelby legacy in future years, then I think it's the modern CSX's that take a hit. They'll be seen as just rebadged Kirkhams with CSX VIN's as someone else here said.
Well we will have to see. In the future the rich collectors of today will be dead and gone and their interests along with it.

New Cobras sat on lots for years in the 60s. Dealers couldn't give them away. When the kids of that era started acquiring money things changed as they could by the cars of their dreams in their youth.

The future generation rich likely will be looking for GTR's, WRX turbos, M1's etc...When interest dies out so does the market. No car is immune from that.

Will originals always be worth more than continuation Shelbys? Likely so. Will continuation Shelby likely be worth more than non Shelby look a like cobras? Likely so. If interest in Shelby and Cobras dies out all values will drop. Big dollars are only exchanged by collector on items that are widely desired and sought after. Original Cobras certainly aren't sought after for their technology and fabrication. I've seen better tubing on lawn chairs. No they are sought after because they are highly desired and few in number. If desire and interest drops so does their value. Nothing special or magic about it.

Buzz: That's fine. Mine is way whiter than yours.

Last edited by REAL 1; 04-22-2015 at 07:11 AM..
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mine is way whiter than yours.
For REal?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

We will all be geezers or dead before we know it, so get out there and enjoy what you have while the getting is good
Buzz likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
We will all be geezers or dead before we know it, so get out there and enjoy what you have while the getting is good
You bet - when they put me in the ground I want to have more memories than regrets - WAY MORE!
JBCOBRA and NewYorkGuy like this.