Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Key word first paragraph is "almost".

Response to original owners..."this group is for all real Shelby's as the organizers didn't want to leave out the older ones"
I sort of finally went there just to defend my position. The most arrogant guy was one auction owner that I will not mention (Phoenix) with a most excellent and perfect 2000 series. He actually had his car moved to not be so close to me. Had his wife bring the car down at 6am when we were setting up and had her get it all ready for the show, then he strolled in with something of an entourage. That kind of attitude sh*t makes me sick!!

And yeah, he took first place.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

You two should charge admission to your discussions... They're quite entertaining, if not monotonous.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not naive just operate on facts not supposition.
The facts are that more memberships, books, shirts and other misc. crap get sold when there are more cars included in the registry.

Quote:
I didn't know you are a Buddhist. Funny I thought they are non confrontational. Hmmm.
Moi confrontational? While no human is perfect and The Buddha was the first to admit that, I think of myself more as an "Alarm." When I hear or see BS, the "Alarm" goes off.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I will shut up. Sorry to stray....
Old 05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
A car that won't/can't be driven anywhere?
Rod, you need to stretch your legs a little and come down to So Cal where we still like to burn 112 Sunoco, use all of the remaining water to fill our swimming pools, and point and laugh rudely at the Prius drivers.

Lord knows if I had the means I'd buy a real comp car, make absolutely certain it was still running a high compression race motor in it, fill it judiciously with racing fuel and absolutely terrorize my neighborhood and the surrounding freeways with its presence. And all "legally", as per the existing regs and a middle finger aimed squarely at Sacramento. What a country!

I genuinely hope that this isn't more CS hype and they actually follow through with it. ANY news (like this) within our hobby is ultimately good for the hobby. It brings attention to these cars, which attracts more buyers/enthusiasts, most which ultimately "punt" and buy something far more affordable like the copies we all enjoy. What could be wrong with that?
rodneym likes this.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Guys...it's late. I'll post on this in the morning. These are truly incredible cars. The details are pretty mind blowing.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
FIFY.

As did the extra roughly $1,000,000+ in revenue for the additional SAAC Registries sold to the owners of continuation GT40's, Daytona Coupe's, Cobra's, etc.
This is actually funny. I bet there were fewer than 100 registries sold to owners of cars that were not 60's Cobras.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Guys...it's late. I'll post on this in the morning. These are truly incredible cars. The details are pretty mind blowing.

David
Looks like some of us, me included, are about to sample some humble pie.

Can't wait to see what the boys from Provo did...
Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
You two should charge admission to your discussions... They're quite entertaining, if not monotonous.
I will sell you season tickets for $2500.00
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Rod, you need to stretch your legs a little and come down to So Cal where we still like to burn 112 Sunoco, use all of the remaining water to fill our swimming pools, and point and laugh rudely at the Prius drivers.

Lord knows if I had the means I'd buy a real comp car, make absolutely certain it was still running a high compression race motor in it, fill it judiciously with racing fuel and absolutely terrorize my neighborhood and the surrounding freeways with its presence. And all "legally", as per the existing regs and a middle finger aimed squarely at Sacramento. What a country!

I genuinely hope that this isn't more CS hype and they actually follow through with it. ANY news (like this) within our hobby is ultimately good for the hobby. It brings attention to these cars, which attracts more buyers/enthusiasts, most which ultimately "punt" and buy something far more affordable like the copies we all enjoy. What could be wrong with that?
Uh, yea, I don't know what any of this means. Northern California has swimming pools and they're filled with water. And there's a gas station about 10 mins from house that sells Sunoco leaded and unleaded racing gas.

However, if a buyer of a new Shelby/Kikrham Comp Cobra, a car that can't be registered in CA and thus can't be operated legally or "legally" on the streets and highways of CA, but wants to "terrorize" the neighborhood and freeways of CA, then said buyer will likely have their new Shelby/Kirkham Comp Cobra confiscated by the authorities and sold at a government auction. The CA Attorney General's Office does pass by this site occasionally.

As for "stretching my legs", that I do 6-7 days per week. Along with other strenuous exercise.

Last edited by RodKnock; 05-15-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Looks like some of us, me included, are about to sample some humble pie.

Can't wait to see what the boys from Provo did...
I have no doubt in my mind that anything produced by Kirkham will be nothing less than spectacular.

But, I still find myself skeptical that Shelby will find buyers for 43 Cobras that won't be driven at a track and can't be driven on the street. And I'm also very skeptical that Shelby will be able to source 43 "original" cast iron side-oiler blocks and 43 pairs of "correct" medium-riser heads.

Should be interesting for sure.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And I'm also very skeptical that Shelby will be able to source 43 "original" cast iron side-oiler blocks and 43 pairs of "correct" medium-riser heads.

Should be interesting for sure.
I would imagine that Shelby Engine Company could just have new blocks and heads cast to the "correct" standards, IF the whole deal were to go that far...
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I would imagine that Shelby Engine Company could just have new blocks and heads cast to the "correct" standards, IF the whole deal were to go that far...
That is what the press release says will be done.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
That is what the press release says will be done.
"The engines will be period correct and supplied by the Carroll Shelby Engine Company, which is owned and operated by Bill DenBeste. Each will be fitted with an original cast-iron Ford side oiler 427 block, forged internals and correct medium riser cylinder heads."

I'll "buy" that the press release is ambigious on the heads, but original cast iron blocks? Anything is possible, but I originally set out to buy an original sideoiler block and found lots of crap.

Either way, as I said, it will be interesting to see the story unfold.
cdnus likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I have an original cast iron 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, all original FOMOCO heads, intake etc, etc. Maybe they'll make me an offer! I know where some more are too. Good stuff not junk.
Info costs $.

; )
Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have an original cast iron 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, all original FOMOCO heads, intake etc, etc. Maybe they'll make me an offer! I know where some more are too. Good stuff not junk.
Info costs $.

; )
Shelby usually only deals with douchbags once, is my English ok...
Old 05-15-2015, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Sorry I can't be more detailed in my answer here; we are just too busy. We are going flat out right now. We had a record year and we are completely sold out, as in-- completely, utterly, sold out. I can't deliver anything to a new customer until April 2016--maybe June 2016. I have turned down work all year. That is something we have never done before.

Regarding the CSX3000 "Continuation Cars" (at least that is what I think they are calling them) we have already made one. It was sold before we finished it. Bill DenBeste spared no expense. He wanted everything RIGHT.

Bill gave us a ton of original parts to work with. Bill has a MOUNTAIN of original parts. I have no idea where he got all of them. (Some from Mike McCluskey, some from Shelby, and probably some from God). I mean he has a literal MOUNTAIN of goodies. He has original, copper radiators, original 16 inch steering wheels, original switches--still in the Lucas packages. It is fascinating to walk through his treasure trove. Smaug would be jealous of that hoard. There are parts in there I have never, ever seen before (keep in mind I have been working on Cobras now for over 25 years).

Bill and Joe Conway wanted everything perfectly correct and handed us a chassis, a pile of parts, and told us to go for it. The cars are literally clones of the original Cobras. If you placed one of them beside an original car at a show and you saw some difference I can tell you the error will most likely be with the original car.

Partial list of the specs:
many parts are original--as in I took them out of the original box.
some parts are EXACT reproductions. (And yes, some are Kirkham reproductions made from billet but you'd be very hard pressed to figure out they weren't original). You know, if we got something wrong (probably did) let me know and we will improve! There is an extreme level of commitment here on the part of Bill and Joe.

Goodies include:
original copper radiator
original fuel log
original 1 3/8 roll bar
Lucas switches/electrical
Lucas headlights (still in the box)
original seat tracks
original iron differential
original 1/2 shafts
original 1965 iron side oiler block
original 1965 forged steel 427 crank
Shelby heads (new Shelby heads). I really don't mind they are "new" heads in the slightest--Bill makes really nice stuff.
Top Loader transmission
Original reproduction suspension
solid rotors--like original
Girling reproduction brake calipers (Kirkham billet, you can't tell the difference--they are SWEET pieces made from high heat resistant 2219 aluminum).
original, in the box, voltage regulator
original, in the box, Lucas electrical everywhere
Smith's gauges
Original Lucas wiper motor!!! (Impossible to find)

These are sweet, sweet rides. Really the only "upgrade" we did was with the fuel lines. They are all Teflon lined, braided stainless with stainless fittings. These cars will sit around for a LONG time and rubber hoses are not something I'd put on my ride with all the alcohol in the fuel today. Bill even had the original rubber hoses and fittings!!! I just convinced him to not put them on.

Are they worth it? Some guys hang art in their home. Other guys park Cobras in their living room. I'd love to own one of these. They are all part of the great Shelby story.

I am thrilled to be involved in the project.

David
Al G and peterpjb like this.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 05-15-2015 at 02:45 PM..
Old 05-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

WOW!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Woah. This is better than any of us could have imagined. I heard of Bill's 'accumulation' but I didn't know that it went that far.

David,
Any more info on your billet Girlings? I remember seeing pics a while ago but I can't remember details. Will they be for sale?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

AWESOME, God has Shelby parts for sale, no wonder they cost so much...