Like Tree268Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now that has to be a genuine original. Does that mean that any others made will be just replicas?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

OMG RON!! Are you trying to start something here???

Not only do we have replica cars, but now we have tools!

Oh my...whatever shall we do???

Jamo started it.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
... I've had this thing for a dozen years and beat it to hell and not once has it had a problem.

I guess your DOXA has been through hell, one look at that bezel tells me Jamo tries to fit through tight spaces just for chits and giggles. Remarkable how well that crystal has held up, sapphire no doubt.

I just happen to catch this on the tube the other day, I guess like HP in these here parts, the watch guys have at it with just how deep is "deep enough".

You'll know your watch goes deep enough if you can log the time your atmospheric diving suit starts to squeeze the chit out of ya.

This one goes about 5x deeper.

To guarantee the water resistance of the Rolex Deepsea divers' watch to the extreme depth of 3,900 metres (12,800 feet), Rolex tests every single one made in a specially designed high-performance tank. This stainless steel hyperbaric tank is cast in a single piece and weighs 1.3 tonnes. It simulates the pressure at 4,875 metres (16,000 feet) below sea level, some 25 percent greater than the depth indicated on the dial. At this depth, the force exerted upon the watch is equivalent to a weight of 4.5 tonnes. This test could be destructive, meaning that the slightest weakness in a watch would cause it to implode. Obviously, all Rolex Deepsea watches offered for sale have survived it.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
... I'm trying to understand the logic ...
There is no understanding of "the logic" when it's the twisted creation of an irrational mind, unless you understand that it's the twisted creation of an irrational mind, and then you understand
Old 10-02-2015, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Is this one any good? I like watches but I'm certainly no collector or connoisseur. Though I own a few unremarkable dress watches - all received as gifts over the years - I never wear them. For myself I always buy and wear what I think are fairly rugged looking and functional diver's watches as I'm hard on stuff and I'm always in and out of the water, even when I'm not snorkelling or spearfishing. It's a Seiko Diver's 200m. I've had it for years now and it's more banged-up than it appears in the photos.

The only issue I ever had with it is that if it comes in contact with a strong magnet it can stop and then really speed up - gaining 15 seconds a minute or so. The first time it happened was after my accident in the Cobra and I thought it may have been a residual effect of the shock. The jeweller said he would have to ship it out for repair and I was about to give up on it when I stumbled upon an article about mechanical watches becoming magnetised. I had been handling speaker components around that time so I decided to check it out.

The jeweller had no clue what I was talking about so I picked up a magnet and realised I could bring the watch to a stop and alter the speed by playing it across the face and around the case. In no time I had it working again. The same thing happened about a week ago and I was able to fix it again using the same magnet. Other than that it's been a tough, reliable piece of equipment.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX-1000 Shelby AC Cobra
Not Ranked     

Name:  IMG_0138.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  87.4 KB

Jamo-

Heres my favorite. 1962 Pre-Daytona. (Guess it makes all the Daytona Rolex watches after it replicas...LOL) I rarely wear it because it was my Grandfathers but on special occasions she comes out of the safe.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX-1000 Shelby AC Cobra
Not Ranked     

Name:  IMG_0136-3.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  87.8 KB

This one is a close second, it was also my grandfathers so it rarely gets worn. 1960's 5512 Submariner. I wear my 2002 version Genuine Replica Submariner as my daily...LOL

Seriously guys, its pretty sad when its more fun to talk about vintage watches on a Cobra forum than the actual cars. I own a Continuation CSX and its real and genuine to me. I try to talk to guys on a forum the same way I would talk to them in person, face to face. Ill suggest we all try to think the same way because its getting old going round and round with no new information. Most of us read this forum to learn about the cars, after all were all car guys usually car guys all get along and help each other out. Just a suggestion, but lets get back to that if we can.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is my cheapie, Dashtronic, always gets a comment though.

For the jacket & tie affairs, Superocean 38mm

Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool I can't believe it

I thought that by purchasing a cobra and moving to this board I would be escaping the purists ridicule and tirades I constantly witnessed as a member of the National Corvette Restorers Society.

I've had my skull caved in more than once by the "upper crust" because I was building a non-correct appearing driver quality car and I was basically wasting their time and knowledge asking stupid questions.

Please please please let's not fall prey to that mindset.

I can guarantee you folks that this is the last time I weigh in on this topic because it's really a waste of both brain and bandwidth.

How about we give it a rest and just enjoy our "tribute" cars huh?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Is that a Real "tribute" or P.O.S fake chaff one????
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Just having fun sorry!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Buzz...yup, can be an issue with earlier watches. That is most definitely a keeper!!!

Mullen2...I've only seen a pre-Daytona like that once...in a very wonderful vintage watch store in London off of New Bond street and I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it. What a sweet watch!

Yup...me thinks the Sea Dweller holds the current record for the deep. I've got several watches with helium valve...the PloProf of course, the Ball NEDU and the Omega Sub all do. The NEDU has several other tricks up its sleeve (I'll show that next)...

The rice kernel bracelet on the Superocean...perfect.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Mullen: I love my Black and Gold Rolex Submariner. I got over the Gold and Blue as it is not as common. Also have a Rolex....

Ah, never mind. Don't want to be a "Blowhard".
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Getting back to the original question, I think it's that many here would rather argue and dis-agree rather than do anything else.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
RodKnock just savor the moment.

We have replicas of the originals being compared to those originals (built 50 years earlier), and these replicas are "more rare" than the originals they copy because the on-going production total is less at this time.

Seriously folks, you can't make this sh!t up!

BTW, who knows roughly how many of the original 998 are actually left (still in existence)?
870. I had that same question a few weeks ago and hunted it down. I'll be damned if I can remember where I found it, though.

Edit: This post from 2004 says 890:
- 260-289 Cobra Built 655 Found 581
- 427 Cobra Built 348 Found 309

how many real cobras are left?

And, no, Evan's CSX4206 is not included in these numbers.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-02-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

My everday watch for all occasions. It's worth big bucks.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post

A few days later...this arrives. Only had to use it the one time, but it is the bestest Cobra tool I own.

The Kirkhams are special people. We had a discussion some time back about nuts for pin drive adapters. There was a problem with the vendor's cast metal nuts splitting. This had nothing to do with Kirkham products. But David got involved and designed a new nut based on a samples we sent to him. He made us custom nuts and charged us a pittance. Top notch people.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
870. I had that same question a few weeks ago and hunted it down. I'll be damned if I can remember where I found it, though.

Edit: This post from 2004 says 890:
- 260-289 Cobra Built 655 Found 581
- 427 Cobra Built 348 Found 309

how many real cobras are left?

And, no, Evan's CSX4206 is not included in these numbers.
Thanks, I've seen anywhere from 700-900 by those who ventured a guess. Pretty remarkable after 50 years that the attrition is only 13%. I wonder how many came back from the grave once collector interest took off.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
RodKnock just savor the moment.

We have replicas of the originals being compared to those originals (built 50 years earlier), and these replicas are "more rare" than the originals they copy because the on-going production total is less at this time.

Seriously folks, you can't make this sh!t up!

BTW, who knows roughly how many of the original 998 are actually left (still in existence)?
I didn't say "replica" you did so you can savor the moment yourself with Rodknock. Now not only are you citing out of context you have to change words to make your point.

No, current production Cobra production figures wouldn't be included in original production figures silly.

As to the CSX4910 he is free to curry favor with you and the rest of the peanut gallery here by deprecating his car. That's up to him. Don't need friends like that. He can view his Shelby anyway he likes. You are free to think his self deprecation speaks volumes. He can be your poster child. Fact: the vast majority of owners see it differently than him and you... that's for sure! So does SAAC and the World Registry!

Envy is a terrible thing.

Facts, law and World Registry.

But keep "twisting" the facts the law and the Registry to meet with your position. Flame on!!!!

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-02-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Didn't take long, did it?
Stop in periodically for a laugh.

Flame on.