Like Tree268Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default Why does every thread here devolve into a "Real" vs. "Replica" argument?

A decade ago I became infatuated with the Shelby Cobra and set out to get one. ClubCobra.com has been an excellent resource, and I appreciate the members here that have contributed to my knowledge.

Lately, though, it seems every thread gets highjacked into a "Real" vs. "Replica" debate primarily around the CSX4000 series cars' legitimacy.

My point is, I find the "Real" vs "Replica" topic wearisome. This topic has been banging around for nearly a decade. Any possibility we can all just give it a rest?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

It'll never stop.

We should just have one everlasting thread that's the sandbox, and leave it out of all the other threads.
4pipes likes this.

Last edited by rodneym; 09-27-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The alternative is Patrick posts another "How To...But Who Really Gives an S" thread?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

One of the most common games enjoyed by bored children in my extended family is for the older ones to provoke the younger ones by criticizing their appearance or actions. The younger ones always take the bait and resort to crying, yelling, throwing or all three. I've long advised the younger ones that the best way to stop the older ones from harrassing them is to ignore them. The only reason they keep saying provocative things is to see the reactions they seek. If you deprive them of their entertainment, they will find something else to do. ... Of course the younger ones are too immature to understand and follow that advice. ..... I think there is a parallel here.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 09-21-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

I agree it is old. I also believe Tommy hit the nail on the head. The funny thing is that this is going to turn into one of those threads!

Its not "real" unless Shelby made it in the 60's.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
I'll never stop.

We should just have one everlasting thread that's the sandbox, and leave it out of all the other threads.
If it were in a single thread those who cared about the topic could play to their hearts' content while the rest of us who don't give a s**t could blissfully enjoy CC, free from the repetitive, opinionated BS some tout as their omnipotent wisdom on the subject of "Real" vs. "Replica".

Edit: While we're at it, the thread should be a 'sticky' to hopefully preclude others from starting new threads on the topic. Well, that and ruthless enforcement by the Admins.
427sharpe and 4pipes like this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-21-2015 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: additional content re: sticky thread
Old 09-21-2015, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
One of the most common games enjoyed by bored children in my extended family is for the older ones to provoke the younger ones by criticizing their appearance or actions. The younger ones always take the bait and resort to crying, yelling, throwing or all three. I've long advised the younger ones that the best way to stop the older ones from harrassing them is to ignore them. The only reason they keep saying provokative things is to see the reactions they seek. If you deprive them of their entertainment, they will find something else to do. ... Of course the younger ones are too immature to understand and follow that advice. ..... I think there is a parallel here.
With age comes wisdom but, based upon what we've seen, it's far from universal.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

It's that ol small wiener thing again, I have a real car, I have more hp, my dad can beat up your dad, I can think of one on here that fits the bill every time, and I don't even have to say his name, and we all know who it is...
Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Why does every thread here devolve into a "Real" vs. "Replica" argument?

DD
Because there will always be people who believe that the authenticity of their car is a status symbol that somehow "elevates" their own authenticity as an automotive enthusiast...

Either that, or OCD is a more serious mental condition than was previously thought Some people just can't let something go.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
Because there will always be people who believe that the authenticity of their car is a status symbol that somehow "elevates" their own authenticity as an automotive enthusiast...

Either that, or OCD is a more serious mental condition than was previously thought Some people just can't let something go.
Great post, that's what I was trying to say, you just said it better, watch, in about 5 or 6 posts he will be here to validate our points...
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
One of the most common games enjoyed by bored children in my extended family is for the older ones to provoke the younger ones by criticizing their appearance or actions. The younger ones always take the bait and resort to crying, yelling, throwing or all three. I've long advised the younger ones that the best way to stop the older ones from harrassing them is to ignore them. The only reason they keep saying provokative things is to see the reactions they seek. If you deprive them of their entertainment, they will find something else to do. ... Of course the younger ones are too immature to understand and follow that advice. ..... I think there is a parallel here.
I totally get what you are saying. I've ignored said topic and tried to contribute mindfully to the originally posted topic only to subjected to troll attack. I'm sure in your extended family those that do learn to ignore the baiting eventually get irritated enough to hit the perpetrator where it hurts. I'm pretty patient, to a point. Usually I smile, nod, and then extricate myself from the source of irritation.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Its all my fault obviously.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
A decade ago I became infatuated with the Shelby Cobra and set out to get one. ClubCobra.com has been an excellent resource, and I appreciate the members here that have contributed to my knowledge.

Lately, though, it seems every thread gets highjacked into a "Real" vs. "Replica" debate primarily around the CSX4000 series cars' legitimacy.

My point is, I find the "Real" vs "Replica" topic wearisome. This topic has been banging around for nearly a decade. Any possibility we can all just give it a rest?

DD
Jesus: I thought you were "horrified" and "done with this"? Now you start an entirely new thread on the subject...but I'm the one who is obsessive compulsive on the subject? This is just getting better and better.

BTW not that you would likely be astute enough to notice but the "other thread" "devolved" after my simple position as to what was "better" to me as set forth as an example and why it was "better" to me was attacked from multiple sides.

As usual the hoards picked the fight and I bested them. Oh hum really... but its easy when the Registry, facts and the law are your side.

Next.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-21-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Give it a friggin' rest.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
If it were in a single thread those who cared about the topic could play to their hearts' content while the rest of us who don't give a s**t could blissfully enjoy CC, free from the repetitive, opinionated BS some tout as their omnipotent wisdom on the subject of "Real" vs. "Replica".

Edit: While we're at it, the thread should be a 'sticky' to hopefully preclude others from starting new threads on the topic. Well, that and ruthless enforcement by the Admins.
So why don't you blissfully ignore all the threads on this topic that you always jump in on?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

It really funny looking at all these posts....

I chose to buy a BACKDRAFT Replica BECAUSE I put ALL my money into ORIGINAL Warhol, Da Vinci and Van Gogh artwork!!!
moore_rb likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was talking to a guy with a 1968 Corvette vert who was thinking about selling his vette and getting a Cobra. He was trying to get a feel for the differences between the Cobra and his vette and we were talking pros and cons.

One of down sides of owning a Cobra we talking about is the stupid effing hierarchy of Cobra brands and marketing semantics some in this community are fixated on. He can take his Corvette anywhere and never have to deal with that crap. I've dealt with it more than a few times now and it blows. Some idiot runs down to Hillbank, signs a check, and drives off with a nice Superformance, and suddenly I'm a second class car guy in his mind? Yea eat me. And don't get me started about the guy with the aluminum bodied continuation who I run into occasionally. Ironically the folks with the originals who I've run into have all been very complimentary and cool. Go figure

All that being said, if you think the Cobra community is bad about this you should see how the Ford Model A crowd is.

Mario
FFR MKIV #7608 Complete kit w/IRS
Dart 427 w/Pro 1 CNC 210cc heads, 490rwhp/459rwtq
http://www.mycobra.build   #7608 Graduation Thread
Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Great post, that's what I was trying to say, you just said it better, watch, in about 5 or 6 posts he will be here to validate our points...
Give that man a cigar!
Now we have the blow hard blowing harder
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
I was talking to a guy with a 1968 Corvette vert who was thinking about selling his vette and getting a Cobra. He was trying to get a feel for the differences between the Cobra and his vette and we were talking pros and cons.

One of down sides of owning a Cobra we talking about is the stupid effing hierarchy of Cobra brands and marketing semantics some in this community are fixated on. He can take his Corvette anywhere and never have to deal with that crap. I've dealt with it more than a few times now and it blows. Some idiot runs down to Hillbank, signs a check, and drives off with a nice Superformance, and suddenly I'm a second class car guy in his mind? Yea eat me. And don't get me started about the guy with the aluminum bodied continuation who I run into occasionally. Ironically the folks with the originals who I've run into have all been very complimentary and cool. Go figure

All that being said, if you think the Cobra community is bad about this you should see how the Ford Model A crowd is.

Mario
I kinda disagree with this. MOST vette owners are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than any of the Cobra owners here, about what is original, and what isn't, correct, not correct, mines older, more rare, , less bugs in the radiator.....bla, bla, bla.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post
I kinda disagree with this. MOST vette owners are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than any of the Cobra owners here, about what is original, and what isn't, correct, not correct, mines older, more rare, , less bugs in the radiator.....bla, bla, bla.
Point taken. Might just be one of those grass is greener things.

Mario
FFR MKIV #7608 Complete kit w/IRS
Dart 427 w/Pro 1 CNC 210cc heads, 490rwhp/459rwtq
http://www.mycobra.build   #7608 Graduation Thread
Closed Thread