Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Here is the pan rail I made. It's not as slick as Wiki's, but I liked making it myself. I used 308 SS bar, 3/4" x 1/8", cut it, and TIG welded it. In order to get it flat and reasonably clean, I tacked it on one side, then the other on each joint, and then welded. I found that if I paid attention to the cuts and made them clean and tight, I could fusion weld (no filler rod) and the welds turned out much better. At any rate, it took a few hours (probably 5) but I'm happy with the results.

Now on the studs vs bolts... Between the two gaskets, the reinforcement, the pan, and the windage tray, the aggregate thickness is about 0.48", maybe a bit less. The bolt holes in the Pond block are about 0.5" deep, but they vary. If I use bolts, the 1" ones may bottom out, and the shorter ones (0.812") would only go into the block about 0.3", which isn't enough. I'm told you want to go 1.5x the bolt diameter for steel and 2x for aluminum, so for 5/16" bolts I would need the full 0.5" in my block, as it's aluminum.

Which leads me to studs. I have the Canton ones already (which loosened) but I'm thinking it may be worth it to spring for the ARPs. They are slightly better because (1) they use a higher strength material and finish, and I can torque them to 20-22 ft-lb, which will better take advantage of the reinforcement I made, and (2) they use coarse threads into the block, and fine threads on top, which i'm told provide better clamping force, and are less likely to back out.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Wow - that's nice work Lippy. Shouldn't show too many pictures of those as you will start getting inquiries to produce them. FWIW - I think studs are the way to go, especially with an aluminum block. Do they have an allen screw recess or screw driver slot to help tighten them? I can't see what a little blue locktite would hurt to keep them tight to the block. But then the tensioning by the nut is taken up in the stud and there's less risk of galling and stressing the block threads by the combined action of tensioning and friction when tightening everything down. Maybe an ME can address that better than this aging CE.
rodneym likes this.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I'm an aging ME so I don't remember most of this anyway. The Canton studs have an Allen end but they are all coarse thread and don't have a shoulder. The ARPs have a shoulder so they can be snugged into the block, and they are fine thread on top, but they don't have an Allen hole. Instead, they have a nose so the nut starts easier. I guess you can double nut them if you need to take them out.

They don't make a stud kit for FEs and the bolts they have for FEs are too short if you use a reinforcement. But the Pontiac/Mopar kit works. ARP 200-1901 and its variants for 6/12 point stainless/oxide. While these seem expensive at $70 for the kit, I priced out McMaster-Carr and the studs and nuts were more expensive, not the ideal size, and not as strong. So not a bad deal.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: I got the engine back together and the pan on. I used a new set of Canton studs with the rail shown above. This way I was able to put more torque on the studs (about 13 ft-lb), hopefully stretching them enough so they don't come loose. The method I used was to first glue the gaskets to the windage tray and then use The Right Stuff to attach that assembly to the block, using the rail as a clamp. It made the whole process easier, as I could let that dry, then take the rail and nuts off, put the pan itself on as a last step, and tighten down with the rail. This way, I was in far less of a rush to get everything together before The Right Stuff set up, which is quick.

I've put about 100 miles on the car since I put on the new gaskets and studs. No leaks so far. But every time I retorque it, which has been I think 3-4 times now, the nuts need about 1/8 turn. I should be past the gasket compression phase by now. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? I'm worried that as soon as I stop tightening them, It'll start to leak.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
But every time I retorque it, which has been I think 3-4 times now, the nuts need about 1/8 turn. I should be past the gasket compression phase by now. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? I'm worried that as soon as I stop tightening them, It'll start to leak.
No chance the studs are backing out?
Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Any chance of heat cooking and shrinking things a little? "Snug" seems to work, but over tightening over time doesn't seem to....
If it's not leaking, I wouldn't touch it!
My 2 c...
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think the studs are backing out, but if they are looser once again I may pull out a few and add Loctite.

Last edited by lippy; 04-27-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Old 04-27-2016, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I've noticed that pattern with oil pan, transmission pan and valve cover gaskets - I assume the gaskets are compressing and losing their elastic compressibility under engine heat. In this day and age you would think they would have some miracle polymer that would not do this.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I don't think the studs are backing out, but if they are looser once again I may pull out a few and add Loctite.
You could probably use a marker to confirm if they are backing out.
If they are, then perhaps a bit of Loctite as you suggested.
MCoop likes this.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I've noticed that pattern with oil pan, transmission pan and valve cover gaskets - I assume the gaskets are compressing and losing their elastic compressibility under engine heat. In this day and age you would think they would have some miracle polymer that would not do this.
Oh, there's some nasty industrial / aerospace stuff out there that hasn't quite met all requirements for consumer use. Some are amazing and some are just plain over the top! Like... once you seal it, forget it unless you want to use hard core methods to take it apart.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Look at the 4th post on page one of this thread. BTW, I used red loctite on all the studs.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55312 View Post
Look at the 4th post on page one of this thread. BTW, I used red loctite on all the studs.

Tim
Why red and not blue? That would seem to create a big issue if you ever needed to remove 20 studs under the car.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I think you're still compressing the gasket and RTV, I'd stop tightening.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

loctite grade is besides the point (the studs came out with a little extra torque). The point here was the constant loosening of the nuts and the only way I fixed it was to replace the stud set up from Canton with ARP Bolts.

Just my experience.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy