Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mark View Post
Pappy,

I had a 385 series engine in my Superformace. It was bored and stroked to 588. It made 650 HP, and 720 Tq. I loved it. You will too. It pushes a bit in the corners. and nailing the loud pedal at any speed or gear was always fun...and a bit dangerous. But, get all of the RT suspension upgrades and you'll be fine.

Just do it.

BTW, Brent's figures and prices seem to be outstanding and excellent. If I was doing it again, he would be my first call.

All the best.
I just have to be the guy that ask....could you eclipse 6mpg cruising? Carb or FI and what type of headers and side pipes were you running? I bet that was an absolute handful and the some.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman1961 View Post
Go ahead and have Brent build you one Ace23. I'll install but you're riding shotgun for the first 2,000 miles!!
I think we are committed to the current engines cam swap first. Wouldn't the neighbors just love a 600ci engine with 3.5" sidepipes firing up for one of my late night rides.....it would probably blow shingles off your roof.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Laughing out loud at that one. Why YES, I did eclipse 6 mpg sometimes. I got 10/12 on the highway, 8 in town sometimes, and about 6mpg at the track. A tank of gas was good to about 120 miles, but I never risked it and stopped at most every gas station I could find while on club cruises.

950 Quickfuel, New style Super Cobra Jet heads, stock SPF headers with stock sidepipes serviced to remove a lot of the baffling.

Damn thing was smelly, loud, and so fast. I would do it again in a minute.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mark View Post
Laughing out loud at that one. Why YES, I did eclipse 6 mpg sometimes. I got 10/12 on the highway, 8 in town sometimes, and about 6mpg at the track. A tank of gas was good to about 120 miles, but I never risked it and stopped at most every gas station I could find while on club cruises.

950 Quickfuel, New style Super Cobra Jet heads, stock SPF headers with stock sidepipes serviced to remove a lot of the baffling.

Damn thing was smelly, loud, and so fast. I would do it again in a minute.
That is awesome to hear how you would do it again. I'm sure it was way more power than anyone needs but I imagine it was awesome on the street due to the fact that it had power everywhere in the RPM range. I currently have a 427W but will likely go the BBF route down the line. It's insane that we have such large CI motors that make crazy power and we are always thinking of having a bit more
Old 04-23-2016, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Having more power has always been the draw. Once you get more power learn how to use it you realize why not more, the natural order of things. Getting from point A to B as fast as humanly possible is exactly what these cars are all about for a lot of us.

Thankfully I was lucky enough in life to have been able to own and build an example of the meanest looking hot rods on the planet. Bring on the horsepower & torque!
Old 04-23-2016, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Having more power has always been the draw. Once you get more power learn how to use it you realize why not more, the natural order of things. Getting from point A to B as fast as humanly possible is exactly what these cars are all about for a lot of us ...
I would say true up to 450 RWHP, after that anything more is 99% bragging rights and 1% "useful" to the very few who are in a situation where they could actually use more - like a drag strip. If that's your gig, then just build a gasser and be done with it On the street with two guys of equal driving ability, the guy with an aluminum 450 RWHP windsor can run against any size BB/high HP/torque monster and win a 0-100 mph sprint. Make that a race through 20 miles of twisties to your favorite lunch spot, then tell the windsor guy what you want and he'll have the sandwich waiting when you get there.

That's how I assess getting from point A to point B faster
Old 04-24-2016, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hear you BUT,and that's a big word. We live in rural Maine driving the twisties like you mention is impossible around here with traffic and road conditions being what they are.
The off idle torque of a BB is intoxicating not to mention the visual when the hood is lifted, two of the biggest reasons why I chose the 385. Honestly, two cars you speak of setup the same with equal drivers quite sure the results would surprise you. Bottom line is most of us have our cars for one reason to satisfy the desire to own a Cobra the way we have always imagined.
Make mine tuna on rye.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Big Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
I hear you BUT,and that's a big word. We live in rural Maine driving the twisties like you mention is impossible around here with traffic and road conditions being what they are.
The off idle torque of a BB is intoxicating not to mention the visual when the hood is lifted, two of the biggest reasons why I chose the 385. Honestly, two cars you speak of setup the same with equal drivers quite sure the results would surprise you. Bottom line is most of us have our cars for one reason to satisfy the desire to own a Cobra the way we have always imagined.
Make mine tuna on rye.
Thank You.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
I would say true up to 450 RWHP, after that anything more is 99% bragging rights and 1% "useful" to the very few who are in a situation where they could actually use more - like a drag strip. If that's your gig, then just build a gasser and be done with it On the street with two guys of equal driving ability, the guy with an aluminum 450 RWHP windsor can run against any size BB/high HP/torque monster and win a 0-100 mph sprint. Make that a race through 20 miles of twisties to your favorite lunch spot, then tell the windsor guy what you want and he'll have the sandwich waiting when you get there.

That's how I assess getting from point A to point B faster
Respectfully, I have to disagree with these statements. For proof just look at CSX3170. He is running a high hp big block that's putting out well over 600 rwhp, pulls 1.45 G's in the corners, accelerates up to 1.2 G's. Pretty amazing stats and balanced performance in a chassis that's not as stiff as most of our Replica's (although his is extremely well sorted). It's all in the set-up.

I'm very fortunate because I can vary my hp setting over a 200 rwhp/tq range by simply turning a dial to control boost levels. This allows me to objectively see where traction thresholds are for any particular day (warm vs cold air temps, road surface quality, etc), and a G-tech RR meter to measure acceleration and handling parameters. Believe me when I say that greater than 450 rwhp/tq on the street is usable. If it wasn't, I would have gotten bored and sold my car years ago. A 40-100 mph roll at around 575 rwhp on an 80 degree day is Nirvana.

Last edited by twin turbo; 04-24-2016 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
A 40-100 mph roll at around 575 rwhp on an 80 degree day is Nirvana.
And what does that take, 2.5 seconds?
Old 04-24-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Naaah, at that power level 40-100 mph is in the 3's.
Go to about the 38 second mark in this video. My speedometer is a little jerky because my cable was slightly loose.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsJUMTxrpk[/ame]

Last edited by twin turbo; 04-24-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Old 04-24-2016, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

OK - that's definitely impressive. Was that just tire spin or actual road mph?
Old 04-24-2016, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's road mph. The initial hit is a little deceptive as the speedo jerks a little in engagement, you can see the same when I let off the gas at 120 and it's a little jerky in responding.