Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thoughts on an FFR car at $50k

What are thoughts on a home built FFR being worth $50k? This looks like a great build (received detailed build pics from seller) and cleanly finished however, based on recent conversations around factory built cars running 40-50k, I'm thinking its low-mid 40's. And that's before seeing/inspecting in person. Unless absolute pristine build with top of the line drive train and well known professional builders in the process, have you seen FFR builds go this high?
Thanks

Shelby Cobra Factory Five | eBay
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd0729 View Post
What are thoughts on a home built FFR being worth $50k? This looks like a great build (received detailed build pics from seller) and cleanly finished however, based on recent conversations around factory built cars running 40-50k, I'm thinking its low-mid 40's. And that's before seeing/inspecting in person. Unless absolute pristine build with top of the line drive train and well known professional builders in the process, have you seen FFR builds go this high?
Thanks

Shelby Cobra Factory Five | eBay
I'm thinking at most a $30,000-$35,000 car, no heater (heated seats only work so far to warm your body), no wipers, no top, fake knock off wheels, no mention of an IRS rear end. I could see someone paying a builder 50K to build such a car (at a retail level), but for $50,000 on the secondary market, you can get a higher quality car such as a SPF, or ERA with all of the trimmings (and a 427 sideoiler if that is what you wanted) including an IRS. Or a fairly fresh, slightly used Backdraft with a hot small block and all of the other usual bells and whistles I mentioned above.

If it was my money, I'd be passing this one over at it's current price point.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

C'mon Bill... nit picking maybe a little? Isn't a heater in a cobra kinda redundant?

-Native Floridian
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Depends on where you live and state regulations. In NY, you need a defroster to pass inspection. If you live in the north, a heater extends the driving season.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Depends on where you live and state regulations. In NY, you need a defroster to pass inspection. If you live in the north, a heater extends the driving season.
"Inspection?... Inspection?... C'mon man we talkin' 'bout Inspection.... This is Florida main... You talkin' 'bout Inspection... "

Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
C'mon Bill... nit picking maybe a little? Isn't a heater in a cobra kinda redundant?

-Native Floridian
They work reasonably well with a top on. Of course with the top on your warm but also claustrophobic and paranoid in traffic at the same time.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I drove my Cobra a lot at night in the summer and the defroster was a must. A change in the temperature when driving late in the day would cause condensation on the inside of my windshield.
I live in North Alabama and drove my Cobra to Ohio at night for several years for the London Cobra Show. A heater / defroster is necessary.

Dwight
Old 08-22-2016, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Drove my Cobra in the pouring rain last evening (with the ragtop on, 'natch) and NEEDED the defroster. Worked the charm. So glad mine (SPF) has one....and a heater.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I live in Ohio and I have no heater/defroster or wipers. No problem driving as low as 35 degrees up to 95 degrees....at least with the windshield.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Nicely done build. Warmed over SBF engine, middle of the road optioned.

Realistically should be priced around $40k and accept any offer close to that.

In order to be worth north of $40k, I would expect IRS, real pin drive wheels and an FE in the engine bay.

Just sayin!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

It's interesting what some members find valuable. For instance, I wouldn't even want a pin drive car, others think it's a must have. I prefer an aftermarket (such as Dart) block, others want an original type factory block.

Back to the OP's question, I have seen a few F5's go for that much, but not with those components. I have seen some pretty crazy prices at used car dealerships, but they usually leave lots of room for negotiation in the price. Cheers.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
It's interesting what some members find valuable. For instance, I wouldn't even want a pin drive car...
And why would that be?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I agree it's not anywhere near a $50k car. Nice car, but for $30k.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

it's missing a lot of things to make that FF a $50k car
Old 08-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A View Post
it's missing a lot of things to make that FF a $50k car
... like a cash buyer.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Uh, excuse me, couldn't you build one for less?
Old 08-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Nicely done build. Warmed over SBF engine, middle of the road optioned.

Realistically should be priced around $40k and accept any offer close to that.

In order to be worth north of $40k, I would expect IRS, real pin drive wheels and an FE in the engine bay.

Just sayin!
I think you're accurate. A very nice car. $30,000-$35,000 seems too cheap to me. $45,000-$50,000 is searching for the ignorant buyer. Seller would be lucky to find someone to buy it for above $40K. A very good deal at $35,000. So, high $30's is probably where I think it should sell.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And why would that be?
Possibly for the same reason a lot of 63 - 67 Corvette owners have sworn off KO wheels - too many instances of them falling off and causing a lot of damage due to improper installation and owners/mechanics not paying attention to what they are doing. They even market fake Corvette KOs now that bolt on and the factory cone and spinner conceal the lug nuts - can't tell them apart.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Possibly for the same reason a lot of 63 - 67 Corvette owners have sworn off KO wheels - too many instances of them falling off and causing a lot of damage due to improper installation and owners/mechanics not paying attention to what they are doing. They even market fake Corvette KOs now that bolt on and the factory cone and spinner conceal the lug nuts - can't tell them apart.
I don't understand -- is there something wrong with the FFR pin-drives? As opposed to the six pin jobs on say, my ERA, RodKnock's Kirkham, etc.?
Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I owned a '66 Corvette convertible for a very long time. I bought and installed the KO's, but they came loose often enough that I removed them and sold them. The Corvette KO manufacturers may have changed the wheels over the year, so I'm not familiar with today's product, but there's no comparison to the pin drive Trigo wheels on my Kirkham. While I don't drive thousands of miles every year, they've not come loose. They're as tight as the day I bought the car. And I have no fear of it either.