LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv-ent View Post
Hi cycleguy55, I phoned the number and it is not in service?
Brian
Well, I guess that answers the question about whether they're still in business.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

Bill S, where did you ever get new from?????? If I bought it new I would know who built it???? You are now just causing trouble.
I already have mentioned previously where I picked it up from.
It seems everybody else here is trying to help and showing interest which I greatly appreciate but you are making up issues as you go.
Please follow the hole thread or keep your opinions to your self until you know what actually is going on. I have had some great responses from members and you are the first to mention this is a problem.
If this is to much work for you please move on and I don't need your kind of help, and I apologize if this is costing you. Thanks.
This is the first time I have ever posted anything here and have been a member for over 8 years, guys like you make me wish I would have stayed a spectator.
I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread and I would just like to say again, I am not hiding anything, I am not trying to deceive anybody I just thought it would be interesting if someone could identify the manufacturer.
I also would like to again apologize to Bill S if I have wasted his time.
BK
Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Would you use 80 grit (those are what the sanding scratches show) to take paint off, I think not
I don't think it was sandpaper. It looks like a circular grinder. (Note the curves in the grinding grooves).

There is still something wrong with the stamps. If the number was stamped and then painted before grinding, there would still be paint in the impressions. There is not.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:17 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I don't think it was sandpaper. It looks like a circular grinder. (Note the curves in the grinding grooves).

There is still something wrong with the stamps. If the number was stamped and then painted before grinding, there would still be paint in the impressions. There is not.
Yup, 80 grit sanding disk on a 4" grinder, if you look closely at the picture of the shock tower top, you can see both sides of the disk coming into contact and leaving the tell tail signs.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yup, 80 grit sanding disk on a 4" grinder, if you look closely at the picture of the shock tower top, you can see both sides of the disk coming into contact and leaving the tell tail signs.

Yep, like that.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Snipped for clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv-ent View Post
I already have mentioned previously where I picked it up from.
just thought it would be interesting if someone could identify the manufacturer.
I also would like to again apologize to Bill S if I have wasted his time.
BK
If you picked it up at a shop doing work on your Cobra, why would they not have information on where it came from?

You further mention it was "cleared by a local Cobra manufacture", which one? Certainly they would have information on it seeing they brought it across the border.

My time was not wasted, but your attack on me sounded like it was. Clearly, you did not appreciate the time and effort that went in to answering your question as to who the manufacturer was/is. So many come in and ask for such advice, thinking it's a simple thing, when in fact, it is not, and those of us who are willing to step up, are offering our time, time we could have spent with our friends and family, to do the research and respond.

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 10-13-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Old 10-13-2016, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

Again Bill S, I am sorry if I wasted your time, and I do appreciate everyone's time here but if I had the information you say I should have then I wouldn't need this thread, so lets move on from that.
I already mentioned the stamps on the frame and the matching stamp on the truck clasp, they were there when I purchased it, who put it there is a mystery and that's why we hare here now. Yes, 7 years ago the paint was ground off to better expose the chassis number. I have already mentioned that, I think that's why it has rust, it may have even been brushed, ground again, I have only had it for a couple of weeks so what was done in the past 7 years I don't know.
As far as who the cobra builder is it doesn't make a difference to this thread, he has now quit building Cobra's and couldn't afford to complete this car, end of story and because I know where it came from originally, so again lets move on.
If I had more info I would share it, so let's quit accusing me of hiding information.
Thanks
BK

Last edited by adv-ent; 10-13-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-13-2016, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

[quote=mrmustang;1406026]To do so would advertise the differences in frame/body/attachment (those are your hints), something I'm not willing to do, sorry

So why not?
Others here have been very helpful in trying to help the OP, and given there reasons and pointed out certain areas to validate there findings.

But not you, you come on here and lay claim to a Kimmins build but cannot give any proof or point out any features to validate your verbiage.

With all due respect, I think this caliber of build is a little out of your league.

Also care to answer why you think the letters COB and the number 0 and 6 are illegal to stamp on such a build?

I find this thread to be very interesting and wish the OP all the best with what he decides to do with his build.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
As far as I know, Bruce did panel beating but didn't build frames. Repaired yes but not from scratch anyway. He did a number of Hi Tech bodies but this car isn't a Hi Tech.
Larry
Larry,
That was my understanding as well,
I also heard they did beautiful work, have you seen any of there aluminum work up close?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Disclaimer: this response has nothing to do with the OP, or his chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post

So why not?
Just as with original Cobra's, Shelby's, Ferrari's, Porsche's and several others that get copied due to the value of the originals, it is likely that others coming in here after a Google search could garner important information that they would then use to alter a chassis to make it "appear more original" to one manufacturer or another. We have seen it attempted with Kirkham and McClusky built chassis/body combinations in the past (called "AIR CARS"), it is"details", not shared with the general public, were the give-a-way and caused the copies to be shown as frauds when confronted with an original "owner unknown" car showing up, when in fact the original car was not really "unknown", and in at least one case, was still with the original owner/family with an unbroken chain of custody from new.

Quote:
Also care to answer why you think the letters COB and the number 0 and 6 are illegal to stamp on such a build?
Without being a licensed manufacturer, you cannot arbitrary stamp a VIN number into a chassis and make it your own. As a licensed manufacturer, you are required to file paperwork with your governing body and issue a MSO/MCO for the chassis.

As the perfect example, think back a few years to the story of 100 "found and forgotten" CSX3000 series chassis, which in reality were not NOS, but newly constructed.

Quote:
With all due respect, I think this caliber of build is a little out of your league.
Just because I do not currently own an original CSX2000/3000 series, a Kirkham, Kimmins, AC MK, or McClusky (among others), does not mean I have not worked on, driven, help restore/rebuild/build/studied up close and in person any or all of the above 1-14 times over. Keep in mind, I've been around these cars since the late 70's and have seen more than most.

Bill S

Last edited by mrmustang; 10-13-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Old 10-13-2016, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just as with original Cobra's, Shelby's, Ferrari's, Porsche's and several others that get copied due to the value of the originals, it is likely that others coming in here after a Google search could garner important information that they would then use to alter a chassis to make it "appear more original" to one manufacturer or another. We have seen it attempted with Kirkham and McClusky built chassis/body combinations in the past (called "AIR CARS"), it is"details", not shared with the general public, were the give-a-way and caused the copies to be shown as frauds when confronted with an original "owner unknown" car showing up, when in fact the original car was not really "unknown", and in at least one case, was still with the original owner/family with an unbroken chain of custody from new.

What a load of rubbish, no one here is trying to pass this car off as anything.

Without being a licensed manufacturer, you cannot arbitrary stamp a VIN number into a chassis and make it your own. As a licensed manufacturer, you are required to file paperwork with your governing body and issue a MSO/MCO for the chassis.

Where does it say this is the vin number?
There are plenty of cars out there that where scratch built with the letters c s x o b r etc and any given numbers and have been successfully titled, received a vin number and driving the roads.

Just because I do not currently own an original CSX2000/3000 series, a Kirkham, Kimmins, AC MK, or McClusky (among others), does not mean I have not worked on, driven, help restore/rebuild/build/studied up close and in person any or all of the above 1-14 times over. Keep in mind, I've been around these cars since the late 70's and have seen more than most.

Really? Care to share how many Kirkhams and Kimmins you have owned?

Bill S[/quote]
Old 10-13-2016, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry,
That was my understanding as well,
I also heard they did beautiful work, have you seen any of there aluminum work up close?
Yes, I've seen a number of cars with Kimmins work and Bruce and Colin are artists!
I would easily trust them to repair an original as well as any replica.
Larry
Old 10-13-2016, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Yes, I've seen a number of cars with Kimmins work and Bruce and Colin are artists!
I would easily trust them to repair an original as well as any replica.
Larry
Cool,
I have also heard there work was beautiful, I have not seen there work in person but have seen a few pictures of cars they built the bodies for.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What a load of rubbish, no one here is trying to pass this car off as anything.
Perhaps you missed my disclaimer at the top of my original post

Quote:
There are plenty of cars out there that where scratch built with the letters c s x o b r etc and any given numbers and have been successfully titled, received a vin number and driving the roads.
Notice where it was stamped, and specifically how it was stamped, and why it was stamped in such a manner in attempts to replicate what is publicly known

Quote:
Really? Care to share how many Kirkhams and Kimmins you have owned?
I did not say I owned any of them, but I have personally worked on, and/or inspected/judged/crawled in/over/under/through/had the pleasure of driving over two dozen Kirkhams (289FIA, 289FIA Hybrid, 427SC) over the years, and at least two Kimmins produced cars, also two other McClusky cars, and at least one Aluminum bodied/chassis produced in the northeast Not to mention dozens of CSX2000/CSX3000/CSX4000/CSX7000's . Collecting memorabilia, paperwork, photographs, details, notes, autographs, etc of these cars fills 20 (21 actually) Zerox boxes in two different states here in the US

Some of those owners/cars mentioned above are actually members (past and present) of clubcobra.com

How about you?

Bill S.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobrakiwi, thank you very much for your comments, I am glad someone else can see I am not trying to hide anything or have I ever said its an original anything, and yes I am glad you pointed out that the numbers stamped on the chassis is not a VIN number. Again, all I was hoping for is some info on who could have been the manufacturer.
Thanks again to all that have participated in this thread.
A special thanks to Larry who has spent a great deal of time positing photo's on this thread and with all the valuable links and info he has sent me.
Brian
Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Perhaps you missed my disclaimer at the top of my original post

Notice where it was stamped, and specifically how it was stamped, and why it was stamped in such a manner in attempts to replicate what is publicly known

I did not say I owned any of them, but I have personally worked on, and/or inspected/judged/crawled in/over/under/through/had the pleasure of driving over two dozen Kirkhams (289FIA, 289FIA Hybrid, 427SC) over the years, and at least two Kimmins produced cars, also two other McClusky cars, and at least one Aluminum bodied/chassis produced in the northeast Not to mention dozens of CSX2000/CSX3000/CSX4000/CSX7000's . Collecting memorabilia, paperwork, photographs, details, notes, autographs, etc of these cars fills 20 (21 actually) Zerox boxes in two different states here in the US

Some of those owners/cars mentioned above are actually members (past and present) of clubcobra.com

How about you?

Bill S.

Disclaimer, not missed I saw it there, so what?

Stamp placement, yes saw that, once again so what?

I will be the first to admit, I have not owned that many,
4 Kirkhams, 3 CSX continuation cars, 3 Hi-tech, and worked on many from the same manufacturers.

I still stand by my statement, I think this one is out of your league!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... deleted some ...

So you bought it new from a US manufacturer, then you would have a MSO/MCO, shipping records, your "local Cobra manufacture" who cleared it (cleared it how, through TransCanada, if that is the case, they hold their records for 25 years, a simple call to them could garner the information you seek, or open Pandora's Box which you should be worried about) or some record of payment to them, why not just say that, and post that in the first place. Your lack of transparency, your withholding of vital information, when you are asking for our assistance, seems a bit questionable at best. Further, no conspiracy on my part, I think I spent quite a bit of time going over your photographs, digging through my 20+ file boxes, comparing countless other photographs, of other aluminum body/chassis manufacturers (both commercial and private in nature), along with going over all of your previous posts on the subject and spelled it out, as I now see it, quite clearly. Sorry if that stings a little, but I am blunt when it comes to such things, preferring the facts, as laid out, by you, to speak for themselves.

Or, I guess our time, energy, and efforts are not as important as the time it took for you to ask for our free assistance.

Bill S.
Bill,

I thought he said he bought it from a previous owner, not a manufacturer, which would explain why he does not know who the manufacturer is.

And that further he said he had it brought into Canada as parts, so presumably he does not need an MCO. I imagine that he needed some sort of receipt for the parts and still has that. He mentions a local builder or manufacturer who helped clear the parts into Canada. I suppose it might be interesting to know how the local builder helped, but maybe that is irrelevant other than it got the frame and body into Canada as parts with some sort of paperwork to prove his ownership of the parts.

It seems that he is just interested in knowing who made frame and body for his own interest and not as some requirement for registering the car.

Ken
cobrakiwi likes this.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... deleted stuff ...

... deleted more stuff ...
And I seem to recall Shelby and Brian Angliss overlapping a bit on serial numbers for their continuation cars.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is strange, I cannot seem to see Larry's pictures anymore. I guess it is just the full moon doing something weird to the internet.

It could just be Windows 10. I could not see my external hard drive for weeks and then it suddenly came back.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 10-13-2016 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: something...
Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
Here is a pic on my Kirkham showing the relationship of the quick jack holes to the brake vent openings

Another angle:

No dog in this battle but intriguing that Kirkham made this apparent departure from original cars (jack rod hole height). I wonder what the reason was for it?