LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
Well......you could buy a used Ferrari GTO for $15,000.
Well, there's your winner!

I think the last auction price of a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO was $38,000,000.

Although $15,000 may have purchased you a house in Manhattan back in 1969.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Growing up I was absolutely enthralled by the classified ads in Road & Track. The Allards seem to catch my imagination. Would dream of owning a Buick powe....No wait, maybe a Cadillac powered Allard. Ferrari's had to have Borani (sp) wheels, although I had never seen these wheels in my life. They just looked cool. 356's, Carreras, speedsters, Alpha's Gullwings. It was a life lesson. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Plymouth were transportation appliances. Those cars in the back of Road & Track, boy!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought my 69 Boss 429 in June of 69 and about a month later someone told me there was a 67 427 Cobra for sale at a local foreign car dealer.
I drove the Boss there the next day to look and they gave me a ride but would not let me drive the Cobra.
Dual quad car ,midnight blue no stripes, bad ass.
They offered me 3500 in trade for my car that had about 800 miles on it and I had paid 5250 for the car.
Needless to say we did not make a deal but in retrospect at 18 years old I most likely would have wrapped the Cobra around a pole.
The upside, I still have the Boss 429
Someday maybe a Cobra, a Kirkham.

They wanted 6500 for the Cobra in 69

Last edited by 69boss429; 11-30-2016 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alot of cool car stories.

Have I ever told you about the purchase of my brand new Mariner Blue 1991 Mazda Miata. Sure miss that one. That's almost as cool as a Boss 429.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Alot of cool car stories.

Have I ever told you about the purchase of my brand new Mariner Blue 1991 Mazda Miata. Sure miss that one. That's almost as cool as a Boss 429.
Nice, pure chic car
Old 11-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69boss429 View Post
Nice, pure chic car
No way! It had roll-up windows, no air, no radio and steelies for wheels. Reminded me alot of those 1970's Mopars with those high impact colors like Panther Pink, Go Mango, Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange, etc.

TOTAL DUDE'S CAR!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

The "radio delete" Miatas are rare and special I'm told.
RodKnock likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

So what would you buy today and hope it would be worth a small fortune in 50 years time? If fuel is still available. A bit like the movie, demolition man.
JD
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ahhhh, mind toy. It would have to be something outrageous that very few people want and/or too expensive/dangerous to own. Right? Like a Corvair if it was not a Corvair. Maybe an early Viper(?). Or a '91 Miata (with radio delete)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Old 11-30-2016, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The green 427 in the ad above from 6/70 was bought new by a friend, John King, of NY. He traded in a BRG 289 to buy it, and installed beige leather as he was tired of black. He traded it back to Larsen Ford in '68 to buy a Mustang GT 390. The car ended up going to Europe in '71 and was later destroyed.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
So what would you buy today and hope it would be worth a small fortune in 50 years time?JD
Like in the movie Demolition Man, I suspect the world will be quite different in 2066. I suspect self driving cars will be the norm and human driving will be banned in densely traveled areas where networked self driven cars can travel more closely packed, faster and more safely. That means people like me who want to drive lower cost performance cars will have to live in less dense, rural areas. The decline in demand for lower cost performance cars will drive their cost down, so the 2016 Hellcats, Corvettes and Mustangs will not be worth a small fortune in 50 years. ... As truly valuable collector cars in 2066 will appear mostly at race tracks, trailered car shows and in museums/private collections, I think they will have to be cars that are recognizably rare and collectible in their own time, like the Ford GTs that ran at Le Mans this year. That means none of the cars that will be worth a small fortune in 2066 can likely be purchased for $25,000 today. If you can afford to spend several hundred thousand dollars today and you get lucky, you might achieve your small fortune. .... This reminds me of the old joke. How you make a small fortune in Vegas? Start with a large one.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think a Tesla P100D might have a chance being worth a bunch in 50 years......
Old 12-01-2016, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

I bought CSX 3121 in November 1969 for $6000. If I'd have looked around a little more, I could have found one in better shape (3121 had been equipped with a crude roll bar for SCCA Regional racing), and maybe even an SC for that price.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

But then again. You can buy a house back in 65 for the same price as a Cobra which can be worth 1 million now. And then tenants pay rent for 50 years. So it still isn't the best investment, [unless you bought the perfect car]. Paying for insurance etc. There are houses around my area which have gone from 730.000 to 950.000 in 1 year alone.
JD
Old 12-01-2016, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
A 428 Cobra Jet Mustang would be one of the cars I wish I had bought up in the early 70s and stashed away. Probably be worth a good deal today.

Thought about a Cobra in 74 when I graduated - figured it wouldn't be very practical without a garage. Then thought about a 67 427/435 Vette. Then realized I was making some money and sold my 70 GTO and bought a new Trans Am. Turned out to be an absolute dog and spent a lot of money to make it run like the GTO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, there's your winner!

I think the last auction price of a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO was $38,000,000.

Although $15,000 may have purchased you a house in Manhattan back in 1969.
They don't have houses there. I lived there in '75, for that amount you got about 6 months rent in a loft.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
They don't have houses there. I lived there in '75, for that amount you got about 6 months rent in a loft.
Of course Manhattan has houses. And a relative owns one and I actually stayed there.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Scargo View Post
Growing up I was absolutely enthralled by the classified ads in Road & Track. The Allards seem to catch my imagination. Would dream of owning a Buick powe....No wait, maybe a Cadillac powered Allard. Ferrari's had to have Borani (sp) wheels, although I had never seen these wheels in my life. They just looked cool. 356's, Carreras, speedsters, Alpha's Gullwings. It was a life lesson. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Plymouth were transportation appliances. Those cars in the back of Road & Track, boy!
Back in 80-81 I started to make a couple bucks and ended up with a real nice Porsche 930 which was not very commonly seen then. The car I really wanted was a Ferrari. Had subscribed to the Ferrari market letter back then, you could buy a nice 365 GTC for $50,000 or a mint 246 Dino for 40-50.
Anyway, one of the cars that came out of the Miles Collier museum when it was moving to Fla was a damned nice '64 250 Lusso, one of the best looking road cars they ever did. I actually had a shot at it but it was $49,000 and that was serious money then.......ran it by my wife, who reacted...are you f..king serious....something about sleeping in the garage, changing locks, etc, etc.
Showed her that 4-5 years ago that same car went for $985,000. Don't mind sleeping with the dog now but it farts in bed.
Bartruff1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Truth....no one thought that muscle cars would ever be worth a dime, much less old race cars...

The Trans Am and Can Am were the golden age of road racing but who would have bought Penske's clapped out old Camaros ???
Well I wouldn't have bought a POS Camaro but a Boss302? Oh yeah! Talk about missing out on old race cars, back in the late 80s or early 90s I was looking for parts for my own B302 when from the highway I spotted what looked like a 70 mustang on a trailer. So I exited and went back to see if they had any parts for sale. They tried to sell me the car for $3500. It looked just like an old clapped out roundy round car that had been beat to **** with a 2bbl 351 under the hood. Still, even though there was quite a bit of crappy welding in parts of the cage and repairs all over, there were parts that looked well engineered like someone long ago had actually cared for it. Then the guy started talking. Told me how it was one of the original Trans Am cars. That was strike 2 in my mind because I knew all the team cars were accounted for. Then he told me how it was built by Kar Kraft in Los Angeles. In my mind that was strike 3 because Kar Kraft was in Brighton Michigan. So I was outa there (like an idiot.) But I did tell a friend who knows much more than I do about the story. He went and looked at it, (off the trailer this time) opened the door and there big as life was the KK tag of the Smoky Yunick Boss that hadn't been seen by enthusiasts in years. Needless to say maybe but he bought it for 4k then sold it on a few years later for much more. Live and learn. Here's that car today after the extensive restoration. How much is a one of one vintage T/A car worth these days? I have no idea but I lost out big time!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

A original Trans Am team car will get a million plus or minus ...Now Smoky was a famous cheater, but the limit for TA cars was 302 cubic inches....