LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA. FE. Q.E.D.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Too bad [...] that "Lamborghini Titanium" paint is getting kinda close on the color spectrum to beige in a couple of those pics.
"That's not Beige, that's Champagne Gold!" - for the Carlin fans.

Photos updated. Behold.

Would like to sell it here, before listing it... over there. You know. And you know why.

Last edited by RENNugade; 07-12-2017 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Linky link
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENNugade View Post
"That's not Beige, that's Champagne Gold!" - for the Carlin fans.

Photos updated. Behold.

Would like to sell it here, before listing it... over there. You know. And you know why.
Damn fine color, and damn fine car.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Looks nice to me.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Anybody recently purchase a BACKDRAFT with the VMS 427 engine. Please comment on your experiences.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Without getting into the owner/seller ego trip (as I currently do not own any of the three), and having personally owned more than a few, in order of purchase it would be as follows:

ERA
SPF
While potentially a nice build, a Backdraft body and interior is nowhere near as accurate as the other two listed above, not even close. But if you want a car that "sort of looks like" a Cobra, then they, along with Factory Five or Unique might just be up your alley.

I'll leave it at that and let everyone else fight about BB vs SB, stripes vs no stripes, etc and so forth.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My BDR had a Roush 427R installed and was actually a really nice driving car. Handled well and had PLENTY of power. Seats were comfortable and the room with the 92" wheel base was perfect for my 6-2 height. Bill is spot on that the BDR looks 100% like a 65 Cobra until it sits next to a more accurate body style then the differences are clearly apparent. I replaced the 18" wheels with 15" wheels and fake Billboards on my BDR which dramatically helped the look in my opinion....give it more of the old school look as BDRs are a more modern interpretation of the Cobra with the larger wheels really pushing that modern appearance.

The thing to watch about the BDRs is the options you may want aren't standard and can drive up the price to what maybe a better car will cost. Options like oil coolers, puller fans, and LSD rear ends are not standard and there are lots of BDRs out there that did not have these options. The other huge negative to me is the exhaust on the BDR. Lots of complaints on the sound and mine had a weird exhaust note....almost like a card in bicycle spokes which gave it a semi rattle sound. I was told if was the result of the design of the side pipe that allowed a lot of flow for performance but the sound drove me crazy.

Hopefully some food for thought.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I am in full agreement with the positive comments on the ERA for sale. Looks to be a very well sorted Cobra. I just purchased ERA #520 and am beginning to like it very much. My CSX4000 will hopefully be on the market by the end of July..........new MSD box going in, photo session complete. Then I will start to tweak the ERA. If your budget is around 70K you need to look at the Silver beauty...........my 2C
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Never heard anyone not compliment an ERA built by them. Definitely a quality car!!!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm hardly unbiased, but this one really is a jewel among jewels - I believe it was among the first turnkey cars they built, and they had essentially an unlimited budget for it. A hand-built masterwork.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENNugade View Post
I'm hardly unbiased, but this one really is a jewel among jewels - I believe it was among the first turnkey cars they built, and they had essentially an unlimited budget for it. A hand-built masterwork.
First turn-key built with an unlimited budget? This is certainly a nice car, but these kinds of unfounded statements can sometimes turn people off of your sale. This is just food for thought - good luck with the sale. Nice car - no need to over-hype it.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

*Guilty*.

The OP is pretty set on a BDR, anyway.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of all the Cobra Replicas, which has the pedals furthest to the right? Sat in a BACKDRAFT for the first time or any one for that matter.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7173TA View Post
Of all the Cobra Replicas, which has the pedals furthest to the right? Sat in a BACKDRAFT for the first time or any one for that matter.
The later ERA cars have them pretty much straight on. So, if you want your pedals not shifted to the left, and if you want them coming out from the floor and not down from the top, then you're going to have write a bigger check. Here's a shot of my pedals on ERA #732 -- I also had them slightly spread out, because my feet are 12EEE. I have no problem at all with the spacing or configuration.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't care if out of floor or not, just more straight on.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7173TA View Post
Don't care if out of floor or not, just more straight on.
OK, sit in a Kirkham, an ERA, and an SPF. A "butt-in-seat" test is absolutely mandatory and, under no circumstances, buy a car sight unseen. You should also start letting in to your head the notion that a Cobra just might not be the car for you.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Already have that it might not be...may go to Backdraft VMS in Ct. this week to test drive.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My pedal configuration is similar to Patrick's, and I wear 11 EEEEEEEEEE's. I only have trouble snagging a wrong pedal if I wear spread-base athletic shoes, so I learned to drive with only rounded-sole shoes and sandals.

Cobras without extended wheelbase or highly customized footboxes have an offset pedal location. You just have to live with it; it's part of what makes a Cobra a Cobra, IMO.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
...under no circumstances, buy a car sight unseen.
I'll keep that in mind. Next time.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft coytoe motor with VMP blower
Not Ranked     
Default cobra

have backdraft . size 11 shoes . first drove in tennis shoes because everybody scared me. then I tried my construction boots ,no problem . offset yes ,but don't think about once driving. definitely go to VMS, that's would be the yes or no for you, your price you can get a show quality backdraft .
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Like RENNugade... I can't wear "spread-base athletic shoes" while driving either... I WILL hit the wrong pedal. I had some decent driving shoes but they're getting a bit worn... so lately I've taken to wearing some Sperry Topsiders... and they seem to work just as well.

It's funny... but when you're driving... you don't notice that your seating position isn't exactly in line with the car... it feels completely natural.
Blue66 likes this.