Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with 302
Not Ranked     
Default Middle aged Newbie...where to find a rear exhaust car?

Well,

I've been a member of the forum for 5 years reading up on everyones stories, builds, problems, accolades, etc, etc.....with every intention of one day buying my first replica. But, sometimes reading some of this is like learning a new language. I would classify myself as a driver with minimal mechanical skill, but a true classic car enthusiast.

I currently own a 1968 Porsche and sadly my 1967 Firebird convertible was destroyed by fire just last week. I heard from my insurance company today and they are sending out the check, so I will now have some funds to make this a reality.

I'm not a racer, and I don't need the biggest engine available or horsepower. I truly would love a 289 car with rear exhaust...or another replica that had rear exhaust. I don't think I can afford the 289 (but who knows) and every single car I've looked at online has side exhaust. I like the side exhaust but concerned for future passengers and calf burns.

Where would you start looking for dealer built cars with the above specs? or does that even exist. I know the cobra is a racer but as I get older my driving gets a tad slower. I know, your thinking then why get a cobra? Because I love them, and have always wanted one. I know they rattle, stink, are loud, stupid fast, etc, etc, but I would love to at least give it a try.

Any help in direction would be great.

Looking for a used car by the way not a new build.

Thanks all.

Randy
Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Randy: Once you get a snake bite you watch how you enter and exit a recently driven car. I have done and I am sure most others have as well. I have been toying with the idea of selling my Contemporary 427 S/O. I'm back into Streetrods and I have been approached by a CC member about selling the car.

Streetrod1927
CCX3-3417
Old 06-27-2017, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Randy,
They are around, but as you've figured out not that common. I was going to refer you to a slab-side Superformance with a 302 that was a beautiful car for a fair price I was considering, but I discovered it sold in April.

There are a few new Superformance slabside cars with undercar exhausts around the country.

I'm building a new ERA, but it takes patience--about 18 months from placing a deposit on the kit--and money.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Just sent you a PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you fella's, I'll keep the browser hopping.

Also, thanks for the PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A great site for Shelbys and replicas.

Shelby GTs and Cobras For Sale | Cars On Line.com | Classic Cars For Sale
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

ERA is putting under car exhausts on the new Slabsides they're building. All are custom built from regular steel pipe. Nothing fancy or exotic about them other than finding the mufflers that fit and bending the pipes which any good shop should be able to do.The wife's car is a 289 bored to 331 and has twin pipes with a nice quiet rumble until she steps on it. Beautiful sound!!! I think most replicas will have plenty of room for manifolds (headers) and pipes underneath. Good luck and welcome to the madness!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you can change every side exhaust to a rear exhaust, so that issue is not the criterium in the first place
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Welcome Randy !
Any car can be made to have rear exit or undercarriage exhaust. If you were to convert a 427 car, the cutout holes where the exhaust passed through the body would be left showing. 289 cars don't have that issue as their pipes run under the body work. 289 Cobra's/Slabside's/Street cars are interchangeable terms for the gentlemans style small block street car commonly built with rear exit exhaust. 289FIA's are a purpose-built race version with a more flared body like the 427 cars and sides exhaust. Both 289 styles can be race prepared, and both change their exhaust pipe routing at the header; so it's an easy change. Hope this info wasn't redundant. Nice 289 cars don't always pop up, so I would say sit back and find the right car for you. Any good exhaust shop will help get you the rest of the way! You can also consider high-heat wrappings and or heat shields on side exhaust cars...

Mike.

M. Krause
Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

There are a few out there:
  1. Hawk - Rye, New Hampshire, 03870: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/1734915.html
  2. Kirkham - San Ramon, CA 94583: 1964 Used Shelby Kirkham 289 Slabside at Dynamic Auto West Serving San Ramon, CA, IID 11062883
  3. Superformance - Portland, Oregon: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/6185884259.html
  4. Shelby CSX - San Ramon, CA 94583: https://www.motorcar.com/for-sale/us...3-1195859.html
  5. ERA - Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, 19348: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/1938194.html
Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, rear under the car exhaust is available for 427 cars, too. That's how they were back in the day from the dealerships (:

xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by 66gtk; 06-28-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know everyones different but that car pictured above is exactly what I would want. I'm not knocking the side exhaust, I love the look and sound, but the rear exhaust just suits my taste.

Thanks for the photo and information.

PS......I really need a slabside at FF prices, but I bet those don't exist.

Last edited by RMally; 06-28-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This a nice Backdraft with a Coyote. For $58k

Its been on the market for awhile so they may deal.
1965 Shelby Cobra | Fast Lane Classic Cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMX-5M0pA0

Last edited by spdbrake; 06-28-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMally View Post
I know everyones different but that car pictured above is exactly what I would want. I'm not knocking the side exhaust, I love the look and sound, but the rear exhaust just suits my taste.

Thanks for the photo and information.

PS......I really need a slabside at FF prices, but I bet those don't exist.
I'd be happy to show you around the car and give you a ride if you ever find yourself in the Minneapolis area. This is my ERA street 427 car I've been working on sorting out for the past year. There is a blue one for sale on Cobra Country right now. As for Slab Sides and associated pricing and availability...expect to pay more and wait longer for an example that you want to buy. There is a very nice ERA slab side for sale right here on Club Cobra in the classifieds. Good luck.

Last edited by 66gtk; 06-28-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks 66, I haven't been up your way in several years. If I make it that way I will certainly come by, and I appreciate the offer.

On a side note, I've sent a few emails to some prospective sellers. Is there any where on the cobra forum to submit a car for you experts to give it a once over and reply with any positive or negative feedback?

I also finally found some rear exhaust threads from years ago, they didn't initally show up when I was searching earlier but found some today.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have both MK III "Roadsters" (undercar big-block style) and MK II (289 Street roadsters) available. We would be pleased to quote a build-out to your specification.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, I've tried to ask something several times but keep getting a "Parse error and syntax error......How do I fix that?........Hey this just posted!! Crap now I have to re-write all my questions again.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, here goes...hopefully this will work.

The GREAT news is I'm getting a cobra, the bad news is which one?

I've found 5 in my price range, color, interior, basically everything that ticks all my boxes. There are 3 different brands and I would appreciate any pros and cons of each...or if theres one to stay away from.
1. FFR
2. B and B
3. Classic roadsters

Heres the part that I don't understand, 4 of the 5 cars have had 2-3 owners but only 8-15k miles on them. One is a one owner car with a lot more miles which to me says its a car that has been proven to be a runner. Would you shy away from the low milage cars or be worried about replacing parts on the higher milage one.

I really like the FFR cars, the classic roadster car looks brand new and the black paint is flawless but just seems a little different look and I can't tell if its the pictures or the car. The B and B (to me) looks more like the FFR.

Just as an FYI I'm in the $26,000 to $31,000 range, have the funds ready to go, and really looking for a nice driver not a race modified or engine beast. Also three of the cars have the 302 with T-5 and one car has a 351 with T-10........One better than the other?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Oh and if you have a car that fits the above and a nice driver you want to sell just let me know, otherwise I want to try and make a desicion by Wednesday the 5th of July.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nothing wrong with the sound of a 289 with an undercar exhaust:

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 07-02-2017, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Hit the brakes my man ! Wait for the right car.
As for body shape, I wouldn't by any FFR prior to the MK4. There is a specific CR group here on the forum, maybe you can ask the fellas about their experiences? I wouldn't worry at all about low mile cars. Most of these spend their days in the garage. As far as powertrain, I would only be concerned about a higher mileage one if it had a more exotic combo in it. Good luck, and be patient... I'm guessing you waited a long time for this, wait for THE ONE !

M. Krause

Last edited by krausewich; 07-05-2017 at 10:53 PM..