10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     
Default can I make the side pipes quieter?

I never thought I would be asking this, but is there a way to reduce the sound from my sidepipes

I have a kirkham with a big FE with an aggressive cam. Straight headers and kirkham's sidepipes. It is very loud. I like loud cars, and my other cars are loud, but the neighbors are running away when they see me coming.

i have read about using flowmaster sidepipes, but i would like to try to preserve my polished sidepipes because I have so much invested in them and they look so good.

I have read about different inserts for the glasspack, but they seem to require insertion before the ends are welded together.

Is there something I can slide inside the turnout of the sidepipe that might work? i can't imagine what that would be.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

Try contacting the people at MEACO Motorsports. Somewhere I saw a picture 427" sidepipes with a SUPERTRAPP adjustable muffler inserted into the tip.

The "SUPERTRAPP" is held in place with springs...tabs are welded to the exhaust end.

http://www.maecomotorsport.com/Index...e6TheCars.html

SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust

Wish I could fine the pictures. At one time I thought there were at the MEACO website but I don't see them this evening.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you'd be happy with the flowmasters as they are a bit queter than the factory Backdraft ones. Granted it won't help you judge the Kirkam...
They do polish out nicely (stainless steel) and I did have to spend a few hours sanding and buffing though before the welding. Once welded up I only had to go back over the joints with Black and Green Rouge.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is not an uncommon issue with big block Cobra owners. You want your pipes at a level where you still enjoy the sound, it's clear that it's a nice performance big block, but you don't want a throbbing headache, nor do you want to have to wear ear plugs. I can't tell if Stainless Specialties in Cleveland is still in business or not, because it looks like their web site has lapsed. But they used to build "quiet type" side pipes for several ERA owners, including me. Here's a thread on it: ERA "quiet" pipes The pipes are absolutely wonderful and, if they're still in business (I think they are), I'm sure they could retrofit your existing pipes to make you happy. Their web site used to have a lot of good info, pics, and descriptions of the different baffling, sizes, etc. for side pipes. But now you're just going to have to call them up and chat with them.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg2101 View Post
i would like to try to preserve my polished sidepipes because I have so much invested in them and they look so good.
The real answer is No.

Without cutting the pipes apart there isn't much you can do. A lot of people have tried a number of inserts that claim significant reductions. Here's an example. But they really don't do much. You might get 1-2dB reduction at best. Usually less than that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...0aAnOpEALw_wcB

If you want a significant noise reduction, you need to sell the pipes you have and start over with a clean slate.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I'd say no. It's just the nature of the car.

I just buy a big box of disposable ear plugs and use them when I drive the car. Interestingly I can still hear the stereo pretty well with the earplugs in but they just attenuate the side pipe and wind noise, and make the car very comfortable to drive on longer rides.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

it's not so much that it bothers me, but more that i can't cruise through the neighborhood without scaring the moms and their babies in strollers. i'm even louder than the obnoxious harley down the street, and everyone has already complained to me about him

i found a forum posting about using patriot auger inserts, and making them flexible with springs between segments so they can be shoved inside i may try that. nothing to lose but effort
Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Funny story precaution; a couple weekends ago I drove my SPF to Lake Tahoe to see my folks at their summer house. Elev 6500 ft. Coming home I put in earphones to listen to music on the way home...the phones are rubber plugs that fit tight. I pulled them out in Sacramento, which is almost sea level...holy crap my ears re pressurized all at once my balance went and the horizon seemed to be moving, I was driving at the time! Terrifying few seconds...
Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Back in 2000 when I brought the car to Wa. state. before I could get the local liscening completed, the exhaust was a needed now thing. The headers were all fractured and needed replacement. The headers were welded to the headers. Anyone I contacted around here was making way more just doing normal car exhaust repairs and wouldn't get involved. I contacted Everett Morrison. They had a jig for making the exhaust headers. I shipped my complete exhaust there. They welded the headers first so they wouldn't move, and then cut the side pipes off. They adjusted the jig for my headers. It took several shipping back and forth. They built their headers with slightly smaller diameter pipe and my old set #5 pipe went up then down making a path for the steering shaft Their headers were all simila . Problem was my engine sits 3/4" off center set towards the right. Their headers were short runs and had a four pipe bolt up flange that connected inside inside the body. Then another flanged set of pipes went through the body and turned into the collectors pointing to the rear, One side ( drivers side) was too close to the rocker pannel of the body , so that side had to be lenghtened The passenger side was too long and the four pipe flange was against the inside of the body. I had to dfecide which pipes to extend and which to shorten and how much.
While I was into it I had paid an upcharge for LO-BAK muffelers. They were described as looking like an auger wrapped around a length of pipe inside the muffeler. I did not get them. The muffelers I received had two pipes inside with a lot of perferations sitting side by side in te muffleler, one pipe in at one end end the other pipe out at the other end. I asked my self back then the same question you are coping with now. What do I do when some one (police) say thats too loud. What can I do to at least show I tried to fix it? I ended up making three sets of muffelers All the same length and OD. I used the Ss clamping flanges and had them welded tho the pipe ends The turn out pipes at the rear, both ends of the muffelers all six, and the collectors. I prepared the muffelers for Car Chemistry disks as a bolt in, if I needed to and even made a set of pipes that look like the muffelers and had everything ceramic coated,, With the SS flanges and clamps I can dissconnect and change with a 7/16" wrench. I could even hook the short turn out tip pipes directly to the collectors if wanted. Any welding after ceramic coating is like welding dirt, so weld everything before ceramic coating. But alas no one of authority has complained yet.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289 USRRC, 302 Ford
Not Ranked     

The 30" Flowmaster would fit your need. They are a very good starting point for sidepipe applications (quiet, but still noticeable as a V8 Cobra), i use them too. They are SS, so you can polish them to mirror finish if you like to do so.
From my personal experience, it is much easier to build new sidepipes with the Flowmaster than messing around with the current ones

PS: the cone inserts are crab and useless

Last edited by monster7; 08-04-2017 at 02:09 AM..