Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     
Default C7 Grand Sport

This is sort of random for this forum, but anyway...

In addition to our DDs, I have my ERA big-block Cobra and a '62 Vette that I've had essentially forever (22+ years). The Vette is a great car, and it's *somewhat* different than the Cobra (Cobra = race car, Vette = cruiser). But they are both weekend, two-seat, top-down, can't-drive-them-to-work, don't-really-drive-them-too-far cars.

I would never sell the Cobra, but I'm thinking of selling the Vette and getting an almost completely base (1LT) 2017 Corvette Grand Sport, 7-speed, black interior/black wheels/black or gray exterior. For those that don't know the GS, it is really a Z06 (same suspension and dry sump configuration) but with the 460 HP engine instead of the nutty 650 HP supercharged one. It would be essentially an even trade. While I love the old Vette, the new GS would be a really high performance but livable car I could take to work 1-2 days/week, and occasionally at the track. I like having the Vette, but I just don't use it that much. The GS is just such a fun car, it doesn't cost *that* much, and I'd really be able to drive it on a regular basis.

My kids don't want me to sell the old Vette, but they would get over it.

Mistake? Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I owned a '66 Corvette Convertible w/BB and sidepipes for about 25 years. I loved the car, but I sold it to buy the KMP. I couldn't justify two cars just sitting around most of the time. Though I have that anyway and more. But that's another story.

Go get the new Vette. If your '62 has a modern suspension, brakes and EFI, then that might give me a bit of pause, since I love the mix of old and new. But I'd likely still get the new Vette.

Having said all that, I can't stand the rear end of the C7.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Having said all that, I can't stand the rear end of the C7.
Agreed, but you don't see it from the driver's seat.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I don't understand the appeal of old Corvettes...they are clunky, unsafe and are expensive to fuel and maintain....on the other hand....

Modern Corvettes are world class super cars...absolutely the best bang for the buck in the world of performance cars...they go like hell, have all the modern safety items and even get good gas mileage ....

If I was to drive across the country....a new Corvette would be my runaway choice..in one of the gray color choices...

On the other hand....they do depreciate .....

Last edited by Bartruff1; 07-20-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

It would be SUPER hard not to like a new GS! Seems like the perfect fit for 'peninsula' life ; ) Just make sure to get a drop top. If the kids won't ride with ya, I'll take a flight out.

M. Krause
Old 07-20-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ditch the old one and buy the new. If you are not going to drive it much, you might as well get something you will.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I've owned my old Corvette for almost 40 years. It's not nearly as nice as the new ones I wanted in 1985, 1991, 2001, 2006, 2010, and 2016. Ask me if I wish I had sold it and bought that 1985 or 2001 or etc. ... If money is not a concern, then enjoy a new one. But know what its costing you in depreciation each year. And know that no one notices a twenty year old Corvette at the gas station. .... BTW, if I had the money, I'd have a new one and an old one.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-20-2017, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

In 5 years your old 62' corvette is going to still be a beautiful car and will have some value associated to it. In 5 years a 2017 C7 is going to be worth less than half of what you pay for it and probably cast in the remake of Smokey and the Bandit. If the use of the car is better and you can live with the depreciation and future trailer park queen status then go for it. I would drive a C7 all day long but i would not trade a classic muscle car to get it. Just my personal opinion.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
I don't understand the appeal of old Corvettes...they are clunky, unsafe and are expensive to fuel and maintain....
The appeal is like any other classic... it is cool, and it looks good. Plus, it's easy to work on, parts are available, and it's fun to drive. I don't agree that it's expensive to run and maintain. My car gets > 20 MPG, is reliable, and is easy and cheap to maintain. Of course it's not safe by today's standards.
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Get what you want to get and dont worry about what others think or want you to do. I actually have been looking for an old school station wagon with the wood grain sides. Everyone thinks im crazy but hey thats what i want so thats what im going to get.
Pete Munroe and joyridin' like this.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Lippy, since I'm one old cheap rooster fish, I didn't even consider a new Corvette but did buy a very clean 2006, Black on Black, on Black drop top for "my wife". Under 40,000 miles, 6 speed. I had not driven a Corvette since some mid 80's POS with the 4 plus 3 crapola transmission. This C6 is a nice car! Of course it doesn't have the visceral fun feelings my Cobra gives me but it has OK power, drives flat and tight, stops very well and is very comfortable. If you possibly can, get the C7, keep the Cobra and the 62. Why not enjoy them all. At least the '62 will be the one that won't be taking a bath on its value.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #448, 1964-427
Not Ranked     

Hi Lippy,
You have a tough choice. I too have a 427SC ERA, which I've wanted for many years, owning the ERA for 4 years now and loving the driving thrill. I am also a Corvette guy all my life, I now own a 2016 Z06 Convert. The 2 cars are totally different, except for the acceleration rush. My take? if you have an emotional attachment to your '62, which seems to be the case, keep it. You can always pick up a good used GS down the road, there will be plenty to choice from later on. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Personally, I sold a '63 SWC (one of my first Corvettes) many many years ago that I had an emotion bond with and regret it ever since. Don't do anything you will regret later. Just My 2 Cents, Art Fink
Old 07-21-2017, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Lippy,

Keep the 62 and just by my 01 Z06, it's at the bottom of depreciation, still fast, still gets 27 mpg, Comfortable, real trunk, no engine mods, T-1 parts, JRZ DA shocks, and to be honest will out last the C7, (as a C7 track demo driver I know the hole story) Better looking too. (the best looking IMO)

PM me if interested, I'll send photos.

Mark.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

You can buy a #3 driver (or better) C5 Corvette with 75k miles for less than 15 thousand....

Or a C6 with less than 50k miles for under 25 thousand..... and have all the usable performance and comfort of cars costing 10 times that much....

And these cars are near the bottom of their depreciation curve...

In short, you can have your cake and still eat it....

Last edited by Bartruff1; 07-21-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the C7 Grand Sport better than the C6. IMO, they really nailed it with that car, and it just elevates the level of performance for the Vette.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I like the C7 Grand Sport better than the C6. IMO, they really nailed it with that car, and it just elevates the level of performance for the Vette.
But far from reliable in track use.

Mark.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I've driven a few early vettes- (59, 62) and was never impressed with the comfort level of them and the performance. Brakes were pretty awful, too. However, they are beautiful cars and can be resto modded to make them the car they should have been originally.

Fortunately, Chevy has finally fixed that and made the Vette the car it always should have been with the C6 and C7 models. I've never heard anyone that owned either complain about the C6's and C7's for comfort, power, performance, etc... and I believe they are some of the better looking cars Chevy ever produced. IMHO

Glad it's not my decision, but if it were I would restomod the 62 to make it the driver it should be and enjoy it. Even with the restomod, it wouldn't lose value IMO. If you want to see what is involved, they did just that on I believe it was a 59 Vette on "Speed is the New Black" and it was a stunner and a completely different driving car. Should be able to find the reruns on line somewhere.

Just more options. BTW, I agree with the assessment of the C7 GS. I've seen several on the road and at cruise ins and they are stunning cars. Another option would be the ZL1 Camaro? Amazing performance for the money.

Bob
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to keep the C1 and pass on the GS for now. My kids threw a fit when they caught wind, but I was unsure anyway. As someone mentioned, I can always make this trade. I received a strong offer for the C1, but even if I get $10k less a year from now (and I don't think that would happen), that would still be less than the depreciation of the GS and the deal would be even cheaper. I probably do have a C7 or C8 in my future. Just not right now.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I understand the soul searching as I have too many cars sitting around that don't get driven enough and every once in a while I think about getting rid of something for a new car. But I would have a real hard time getting rid of my 66 427 coupe that I've owned for 30 years and restored from the bare frame up. Plus a 62 was the end of the line for the C1 series and for an early one it doesn't get much better than that.

Usually after I consider the price, registration & taxes, daily-driver insurance costs, annual property taxes, depreciation and the constant fear of the first scratch or chip for a new $70,000 car - I get over it.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory5 Mark3 Cobra, 289ci
Not Ranked     

The Corvette is an almost-perfect vehicle. I had a base C6 for 7 years before selling it for my first Cobra. The Cobra is a million times more fun and showy, but the C6 was basically perfect for everything except driving in snow or carrying lots of stuff.

It gets 30mph on the highway, it's comfortable, the GF enjoys sitting in it, it sounds great, can be modified easily, looks good, is super reliable, holds quite a bit of storage behind the seats (hatchback shape, not the convertible), isn't too costly to insure, and performs really well.

I was considering getting a C6 GS or a C7, but went with the Cobra since it was always a dream car. There is nothing bad I can say about the modern Corvette. It lacks the spirit of your 1962 but makes up for it with usability.

~Chris
undy likes this.