• 1 Post By BDR_Boy
  • 2 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default regretts, what would you now do differently with your replica?

I bought a finished car in 99. It was built to compete in a hill climb. It is ablast to drive but not verry conveint to drive. If I were to build it myself I would have made other choices. I held Everett Morrison in high regards, They are now out of business. Dual Fours are air cleaner challenged., under my hood, a single four would probably worked better. It has a Dove 2 x4 Tunnel Wedge intake manifold , Too close to this hood. Even 16" PSE wheels don't allow for much more front brake rotor, but they look great. No power brakes, no power steering have been desired, difficult to squirl into parking spots. The windsheild was layed back from original angle, making a convertable top and side curtains really hard to do, you can't begin to secure the car out in public. Ive driven the car in the rain before, go like hell and lean down and to the center, but plan on getting wet. I installed a heater defroster but have managed to keep my hands warm with heat coming up aroubd the shifter. With another car manufacturer I may have had more body height allowing for more air cleaner room and maybe being able to install the engine at atleast with some angle letting a production intake manifold to get the carbruetors to be closser to level. I did this, I ceramic coated the intake manifold inside and out. Makes for hard starting espcelally if its really cold, Works great once the engine is up tp temperature. I above all wish I hadn't gotten so old. This would have been and was so much more fun.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I built my ERA basically how I wanted it. My biggest regret if doing over I probably would have installed leather upholstery instead of the vinyl. The vinyl is of excellent quality but just doesn't develop the creases and general patina that makes for the appearance of leather. After that - maybe 6 pin hubs instead of 5 pin, but honestly I seldom ever think about it and nobody can tell the difference. Other than that I have to agree with your comment about getting old.

You might want to scout around for an original low riser 427 dual quad intake as they are much lower in height. They will knock some horsepower off the top end but they are known for making torque.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Other than a slabside with a box stock 289.... that could be in my future...

I have the Cobra I want..... and bought used with only 1500 miles at a significant savings over a new one... a street model....

The mistake I made was not getting a used street model in the first place...

Live and learn...
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Biggest regret was not doing it sooner.
Three Peaks, lnfletcher and henrik like this.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Biggest regret was not doing it sooner.
x2

I've had my little green 289FIA slotcar since I was a 12 year old, and I didn't start down the 'full scale' track until 2011. Good reasons why it didn't happen until then....but at least it's happening now

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I had ERA custom make everything for me. The only two things that, if I could go back in time and have them do, would be to install a removable trap door on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel so that lubricating the front driveshaft u-joint was easier, and second, it would have been nice if they had painted the underside of the dash and cowl white before they started any of the work. That would really make seeing things easier back up under there. Neither of those two points are all that big, but you asked, so I'm answering.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I had ERA custom make everything for me. The only two things that, if I could go back in time and have them do, would be to install a removable trap door on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel so that lubricating the front driveshaft u-joint was easier, and second, it would have been nice if they had painted the underside of the dash and cowl white before they started any of the work. That would really make seeing things easier back up under there. Neither of those two points are all that big, but you asked, so I'm answering.
Admit it - you regret the second roll bar
Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
Admit it - you regret the second roll bar
No more than I regret my second shoe.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Different

Other than the foul weather protection, I would have gone with a roadster instead of a coupe. I seem like I m too isolated in the coupe. I m so low and the windows are so small.

The Nut
Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

If I had to do it all over again... I'd go with a big block. I went small block thinking it would cut down on the heat that a big block normally produces... and make the car more bearable to drive during hot Texas summers. I could not have been more wrong... simple as that... and big blocks just sound better than small blocks... and I like that big block sound. In hindsight... 20/20.
henrik likes this.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Boy View Post
If I had to do it all over again... I'd go with a big block. I went small block thinking it would cut down on the heat that a big block normally produces... and make the car more bearable to drive during hot Texas summers. I could not have been more wrong... simple as that... and big blocks just sound better than small blocks... and I like that big block sound. In hindsight... 20/20.
Ya know, just once, I'd like for somebody to post "In hindsight, I really should have gone with a small block." But it just never happens. Never.
henrik and BDR_Boy like this.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ya know, just once, I'd like for somebody to post "In hindsight, I really should have gone with a small block." But it just never happens. Never.
I would be happy to....in fact, I would like to have a 260 in a slab side...
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used to wish that I had poked a big inch stroker between the frame rails. But the 460 has turned out to be enough to do what I need to do. The rest of the car turned out the way I always imagined a Cobra would be with my name on the title. Thank you Carrol!!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I wish I hadn't chopped that hole in the dash and put in an AM/FM CD player. Totally unnecessary.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Ford Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

Agree with Dimas regret not doing it sooner. My husband Bill waited 50 years. No regrets after getting it, we made it ours. And love it.