Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     
Default Classic/Replica Car Insurance

Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors and others -- are they trustworthy? I've heard horror stories about these insurers refusing to pay for collision or comprehensive damage. Has anyone experienced any run-arounds when dealing with insurance claims with these classic/replica underwriters?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, 428 big block
Not Ranked     

No problems, but I just switched from Heacock to State Farm and saved $120./yr.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 427SC Unique Motorcars 427W roller cam with M-6049-Z304 aluminum "Z" heads, Tremec TKO 5 speed, and a Jag IRS with inboard discs.
Not Ranked     

What happened to your car?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     

He didn't say that he's ever filed a claim. We're interested in knowing who's ever filed a claim with Hagerty or Grudy, and how they reacted to that claim.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Midwest is very trustworthy.
Maurice Lawrence
Blue66 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA EXOTIC
Not Ranked     

I had a 1957 ford del Rio wagon insured by hagerty that burned to the ground. NO problem getting them to pay off. $15,000. When I switched from my 33 ford 5 window coupe to the cobra replica though my premium jumped considerably.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I know it doesn’t answer your question but I thought I’d throw in my experience with my insurer.
My cobra has been hit twice. Both in the front end. No frame damage. Only fiberglass repair and paint. First one cost $17,000 to repair. Second one was only $7,000. Both were handled by State Farm without even blinking an eye at the estimates. I chose a shop that specializes in glass repair and they’re not cheap. Adjuster just looked at the car and signed the check.
That kind of service is worth more to me than going with the cheapest company.
My wife just totaled our 2011 Shelby GT500. I never even hesitated to accept their payout offer. It was exactly what my research showed the car was worth.

Just sayin.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't go with hagerity. I had them on my 1st cobra. I also have had hagerity on my t bucket. After a mechanical failure. an oil line fitting broke while driving. Oil everywhere under tires hit a parked SUV.. Total loss. Hagerity did pay for everything. I had paid for a complete yr of coverage. But after discussing with them. I planned to find another cobra. Hagerity agreed to just apply my coverage to the new car. Took about 4 weeks to find what I wanted. After discussing with hagerity several times they agreed to cover my new car. I have no accidents before that point. No tickets. When I have them the new car info. The next day they canceled me.. Pissed me off. So I checked around I have 10 other vehicals all with state farm. Called my agent . statefarm now has a classic car insurance. State farm had better coverages & lower price than hagerity. Also have a stated value on vehicle coverage. Screw hagerity. They lied to me. Mis lead me for a month.
I would never use hagerity again.
marklotus and ErikinSC like this.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had Haggerty before and it was simple to get insurance, no claims though. Now trying Grundy because they are half price of Haggerty but it is like pulling teeth to get ins with them as you have to fill out all paper work and send in along with check then wait for days or week for response. I might give state farm a call since I have my other vehicles with them.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I've not filed with Haggerty or Grundy, but recently filed a claim with State Farm. No hitches no discussions. They ponied up 5 days after the incident with no questions. Increase in yearly payments is only $132.00

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default American Modern out of Cincy

I use American Modern Insurance out of Cincy on a 1969 and 2015 Corvettes that were totaled in Hurricane Harvey last August because of flood waters. Both cars were stated value and received full dollar.
Both the replacement cars are insured by them, another 2015 Corvette and a Backdraft Cobra. Could not imagine them treating other claims any other way.
In being around this stuff for over 20 years, have never heard anything negative about companies you mentioned.
Just make sure you have stated value and you should be fine with all the companies mentioned.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Long time Hagerty Insurance policy holder on multiple cars and car hauling trailer. I've never had a claim with them, but have always found them to be able to answer questions/concerns on coverage updates.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR mark 3, '90 5 liter SBF
Not Ranked     

For those of you that have Haggerty, Grundy, etc. Do you do any errands in your insured car, or do you stretch the truth and chance it? These policies forbid this. Most allow special events and pleasure use only but no errands- trips to the bank, library, out to lunch, movies, grocery store, 7-11 etc.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:52 AM
CC Member/Premier Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: RT3, BUILD 2010, FORD RACING 427
Not Ranked     

I just tried to quote with Hagerty. Seeking an ACV policy. 2010 Backdraft, 427, I gave a realistic use of 1,000 mile / yr. completed the High Performance driver questionnaire, own a Porsche Macan, but no other “HP” vehicles, and they declined to cover. Looks like I’ll be looking at another company.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I have had hagerty for two years only had issues with the toe service called someone in new york to help me in california. Sat for two hours, never called me back to tell me the tow had been canceled! I now use AAA tow service and just the agreed value for the car with hagerty but that's it.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, BluePrint 427
Not Ranked     

As an AARP member I use Hartford for my cars. Hartford would not cover the Cobra, they referred me to Hagerty. They quoted me almost $2,000 but then turned me down. Hartford then referred me to American Modern. They covered me and the cost was less than $600.

Dave and SNAKE65 - did not tell AM Hagerty's price
hauss likes this.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

American Modern.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP938
Not Ranked     

Hagerty does not like to insure replica Cobras. I had my CSX continuation Cobra insured for several years with them but when I got a Kirkham they said their policies changed and the rate jumped. I went with Heacock for a much more reasonable rate. Hagerty does have a great reputation for paying claims, Grundy not so much.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklotus View Post
Hagerty does not like to insure replica Cobras. I had my CSX continuation Cobra insured for several years with them but when I got a Kirkham they said their policies changed and the rate jumped. I went with Heacock for a much more reasonable rate. Hagerty does have a great reputation for paying claims, Grundy not so much.
I bought my CSX at Barrett Jackson in 2009 and the cashiering area had booths from all the insurance companies and shippers. They had dropped a flyer from the (then) new Barrett Jackson insurance (which was a re-wrapped AIG Private Client Group) so got a quote from them and then went to the Haggerty booth. They said at that time they were not taking any new Cobra policies. The reason they gave was that they had had some huge loss payouts (fatalaties) and their underwriters weren't allowing them... The BJ/AIG rate was ridiculously low since I had other cars. (I guess they figure you can't drive all of them at once.) When I got my GT i stayed with AIG but when we moved to NV the American Modern rate was less so I switched.

The company that writes the policies (Bridgepoint) now second sources American Modern. They also have daily driver and homeowners through Auto Owners that had the best rates we ever had anywhere but they don't sell in every state.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I have a Superformance ordered SP03539
Not Ranked     

Would you guys mind saying how your Cobra is titled ? I don't know if the insurance company's look at that but I do know the tax people do. Thanks