21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
ive had both avons and mt st's. i prefer mt to the avons. better cold performance, much better wet performance (avons are dangerous in any type of wetness), and equal street performance. avons are better at the track.
I've read that before that, unless you are engaged in serious racing, Avons are not the preferred tire. But, as with many things in life, it's not generally regarded as "politically correct" to say so.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I put Avons on about a year ago. I never accelerated 100% with the Billboards on the car. They were eight years old and had the typical side cracks. I just didn't trust them with 600 HP and 510 CI. I now will put the pedal down all the way on occasion with the Avons. I like them much better although I do miss the "wow" factor of the Billboards.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
ive had both avons and mt st's. i prefer mt to the avons. better cold performance, much better wet performance (avons are dangerous in any type of wetness), and equal street performance. avons are better at the track.
I have not had Avons, but can vouch for MT STs/Cooper Cobras on the street. Ride, handling, traction are all solid.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I also had MTs, Billboards and now AVONs. Had the MTs on the GT40 prior to the AVONs and what a difference the AVONs make it driveability, handling and traction. Yes they are a bit more expensive but the investment you put in these cars I'd say it is worth it. For years we all complained nobody made a performance 15 inch tire that was worth a dam now we have one.
ScratchBuilder likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     

I talked to a long time owner of original Cobras who races and tours with them and he recommended Avons also noting they are DOT approved. Ive been in Cobras with billboards and agree that they look cool but my initial impression was it felt like I was in a VW bug. Ride quality is great with Avons imo and Im considering putting them on my GT350 too. And while the $$ is a bit much, compared to the inssurance costs n everything else on these cars its not out of line.

SB
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

Avon’s the default tyre for most of us engaged in any form of motorsport, here in the U.K. Its a quality, strictly controlled manufacture tyre that is relied upon and the ‘control tyre’ in many racing regulations and available in two compounds. It’s also a superb all weather tyre on the road. I’ve not tried the Goodyear Billboards. Have to say I love the look, but have been put off them by the advices of Cobra manufacturers here. I use Avon Zzs on a competition Austin Healey and Cobra. Avon’s are not cheap, but nor is repairing you car if it slides off the road. Don’t go for form over function, when it’s the bit that attaches your car to the road.
LoBelly likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Like mentioned, I wouldn't mind buying Avon's and getting the newer Billboard tire stickers.
The tread design is close enough to a match for me. With the high cost of the rears, I won't be able to have as much fun with them. As fellow Cobra owner's, you know what I mean.

Does anyone know of business dealers that ever have them on sale or have the lowest price?

Any company's like Tire Rack etc ?
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Does anyone know of business dealers that ever have them on sale or have the lowest price?
SASCO and Roger Krauss, the largest (only?) distributors of Cobra sized Avon tires, never have sales.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll look up SASCO.
Thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately neither offer sales, the only savings can be on shipping costs if you live fairly close. But since Krause is on the west coast and Sasco Sports is in Virginia it's irrelevant cost wise for someone in Nebraska. You might check with JEGG's, they carry the Goodyears and might be willing to source Avon's if they are a dealer for them as well.
If you decide to go with Mickey Thompson's or something similar Coker Tire carries them in Cobra sizes for a decent price. There just aren't a lot of options in 15" original sized tires.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 05-31-2018, 05:10 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Kraus and SASCO are the only outlets for the CR6ZZ tires. Shop 'till hell freezes over but you won't save a nickel on them.

I have the Avons on my GT40 and compared to the Yoko's on my last '40 it is night an day. WAY better!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-01-2018, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

The Avon’s have scared me one too many times on the street. Once got caught in a downpour and spun out in an intersection. Once in 50 degree weather on cold tires slid/180 degree spin. Avon’s are fantastic when it’s hot outside/they warm up and it’s bone dry outside. For street driving though, you can keep ‘em.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
If you go to the AVONs you will never run Goodyear Billboards again. They are unbelievable when it comes to tracking, ride and traction. As you know I have run billboards on several of my Cobras and and then had Mickey Thompson Radials on my GT40 but when I switched to the AVONs what a difference it made.
Gary, what a wonderful looking GT-40 you have !
I'm going to start a thread about them, so please post info, pics and video's or your machine.

I have the hard as a rock Good Year Eagle II's in15", which have gotten hard to find. I've wanted the Billboards before even buying my kit back in 2000. I had a group buy here many years ago, but never mounted them. They may,....be too old to use but I haven't checked them out for cracking etc. The Avon's or the others mentioned will be a better tire.

Kevin.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was just looking at the Mickey Thompson and their a great looking tire. I'd want the taller side wall, not a low profile Hot Rod tire on a Cobra for me. Their also real expensive too.
With that tire, I think Billboard stickers would look stupid ?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Was just looking at the Mickey Thompson and their a great looking tire. I'd want the taller side wall, not a low profile Hot Rod tire on a Cobra for me. Their also real expensive too.
Pedantic.. "They're"

If you think the MTs are expensive, look at Pep Boys, they have some tires for $59.00. I wouldn't use them on my wheelbarrow, but if your butt is only worth that, go for it!

My new SPF GT40 has Avon CR6ZZs and the difference to the Yokos my last GT had is immeasurable! "Night and day" is too little to describe the difference!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't be too overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching me a third grade grammer (or is that ar) ,.... but I appreciate the lesson my friend. ......
NROTOXIN likes this.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Last week I culdn't spel 'techer', today I are one"

I am real good at finding other peoples error, my own.....not so much!

All in good humor.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Slight change in brand..... but has anyone tried the Michelin TB15 tires? Size wise they are very similar to the Avon's, with the exception of being smaller in diameter. A medium and soft compound can be had at a price point similar to the Avon.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350

Last edited by CSX 4133; 06-01-2018 at 06:31 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4133 View Post
Slight change in brand..... but has anyone tried the Michelin TB15 tires? Size wise they are very similar to the Avon's, with the exception of being smaller in diameter. A medium and soft compound can be had at a price point similar to the Avon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...iABEgL0tvD_BwE
Lol, I just was looking at Summit after seeing a photo of that Coker. The smaller dia is a problem with me, I like the tire to fill up the wheelwell.

COK-71231
$460 ea.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-71231

Mark, no matter as I have 12 years of school. Passed 6th grade twice.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-01-2018 at 06:37 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Coker Michelin
Attached Images