LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
Better headlights should be easy; Halogen projectors, LEDs and HIDs are common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvpBZCot0s

Tramlining: Are you running bias ply tires? If so, yes. If not, have the alignment checked by a professional. Actually, have the alignment checked anyway. It's cheap insurance.

I don't think chatter in steering is normal. Again, professional.

On the subject of having a mechanic checking out your car, it needs to be the right guy, with experience working with modified/race cars, imo. Your local SCCA, Vintage Racing Association or whomever races cars in your area will know who to go to and who to avoid.

BTW, it is normal for a new anything to need a mechanic to check it out on acceptance and correct minor deficiencies.
Once again, great info, thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
You have a great attitude, though.

Your humility will get you a long way, imo.

Having said that, you've obviously worked in a detail oriented profession, so I bet you catch on quickly. Just take the principles you've learned in your professional life and apply them to this.
Thanks, I always wanted to learn to work on cars, thinking this is the start.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Yep it is true the pussification of man.That is why I purchased my cobra because it is a real man's car.I have been reading a lot about cobras here and all I have to say is the cars are like guns.Not dangerous just the people are.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selo View Post
This is great info, it's just waaaay over my head. I've changed some wheels in my day, oil once or twice, and done a fair amount of clean-up and detailing. But that's it! I've spent my adult life working on eyeballs, and I've done some performance driving schools, but I think I m going to be better off hiring a mechanic to make sure my car is sound.
Alright, well, if you can laser back a detached retina then you can eventually learn every thing there is to learn about these cars. I would start by checking the forums for a local race shop that has decent reviews and then call them up and tell them you've bought a used race car and you'd like them to just put it up on a lift and give it the once over. They will be delighted to and will likely offer to have you stand there while they do it. That's the first step in learning what the parts are.
MLI likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Alright, well, if you can laser back a detached retina then you can eventually learn every thing there is to learn about these cars. I would start by checking the forums for a local race shop that has decent reviews and then call them up and tell them you've bought a used race car and you'd like them to just put it up on a lift and give it the once over. They will be delighted to and will likely offer to have you stand there while they do it. That's the first step in learning what the parts are.
You could train a chimp to fix a retina. Now working on a motor, that takes mad skill!
120mm likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll only add one thing, and I won't harp on it. If you can lean your head back and touch it to your unpadded roll bar then that's probably the greatest danger you face. It was just a few years ago that we had a thread on here where the guy was "demonstrating" his Cobra in the country club parking lot and slid it in to the curb. He died from BFT to the head... in the country club parking lot of all places.
I was highly concerned about this issue. I sit so far back in mine, plus being 6'7", that if i tilted my head back it went INSIDE the roll hoop. I've seen the small ones that fit kind of inside the roll hoop, but I was concerned in an accident I'd glance off that and still hit the hoop. So, I made a headrest: I used high density 2" thick flat rollbar foam (the good stuff), attached the assembly to the hoop and its removable in less than a minute if I feel like it (car show whatever). sorry pictures are crappy.

Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Hmmm, at 6'7" I think you could lose a couple of inches off the top and still be just fine.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

LOL- i'd like to, just to fit easier in cars! I do get some interesting looks to the effect of "there's no f'ing way he's fitting in that tiny car..."
Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You could train a chimp to fix a retina. Now working on a motor, that takes mad skill!
My wife had a detached retina that took multiple surgeries to fix, between the retina and the complications. Even mentioning such a thing may cause loss of life - or at least a significant piece of my gluteus maximus.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Petrolicious just sent me this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IZw7ZnxWKjs

What a cool hour long primer by the Flying Scotsman.

It's relevant to the original topic of tragic accidents, with basic info on how to control vehicle, especially high powered vehicles.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What's also relevant is that at 22:57 he says "I made a mistake." You never hear that around here. Of course, we're all much better performance drivers than he.
120mm likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just getting behind the wheel of one of these cars is driver's error.
I try to keep that in mind, as I "slow dance" with my new Cobra.
cycleguy55 and 120mm like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: dd cobra,351w mild cam
Not Ranked     

First of all my heart felt condolences go out to the family and friends

Post-mortem reports for Cobra!!??? May be a good thing?....BUT.....be prepared to have a Government official come to your place with a tow truck and take your car to a "CRUSHER". ..Steve

Last edited by 133bus; 06-21-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't know guys......in the high performance driving schools I've done what they've taught us is to continue accelerating to keep traction on the rear, hence keep it from snap oversteering, and countersteer the front tires in the SAME direction as the slide until you regain control.
I have done hundreds of races over the years, many of them at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunder Hill, Willow Springs in a
highly competitive 125cc Shifter Kart class.

I need to strongly agree with the quote above, when the rears break loose you need to steer in the same direction and lightly decrease throttle until you have control and hope to GOD you don't get pummled by a tree or a guard rail. If you release bad things will happen, they will bite and snap you the other direction and then you need to hope to GOD you dont flip it... 90" wheel base 500hp careful guys.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
I'm not surprised when I see someone has a simple accident and they get major injuries. with Fiberglass or Aluminum covering this type of chassis, you can bet on a injury if a accident happens.

That was why we completely disassembed KMP259 when I got it.... After many years Racing at high speed and seeing some bad accidents, we decided to change and build KMP259 for a Track ...but more importantly make it safe and add protection to the occupants.

Here's some of the ways that we approached re-enforcing the Chassis, we started with the door bars...and worked them into the floor of the chassis.

Now look at the floor and the re-enforcement we put into the structure under the seats.

The bottom of the doors wrap around to the suspension pick-up points ....then we ran tubing down the bottom of the doors to the main hoop under the dash.

Then we re-enforced the main hoop both on the sides as well as the Petty Bar.

Then we ran bigger tubes from the Dash hoop down to the Shock towers and accross the shock towers....in addition we added cross bars to the main chassis
And yet you will get people bemoaning all that extra weight and how it takes away from their "manhood" to consider safety.

From the obituary of a man killed in a Cobra at essentially noon, on an empty suburban street...

Quote:
Joey is survived by his wife, Kriselda, daughters, Laci Lane Peacock, Alisondra Marie Peacock, Julianna Jean Peacock, Kristina Rae Peacock, sons, Joseph Peacock, Jr., Jacob Buchanan, brother, Chris Peacock, sister, Suzie McPherson, grandchild, Renner Peacock, and countless friends that he considered family.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I have done hundreds of races over the years, many of them at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunder Hill, Willow Springs in a
highly competitive 125cc Shifter Kart class.

I need to strongly agree with the quote above, when the rears break loose you need to steer in the same direction and lightly decrease throttle until you have control and hope to GOD you don't get pummled by a tree or a guard rail. If you release bad things will happen, they will bite and snap you the other direction and then you need to hope to GOD you dont flip it... 90" wheel base 500hp careful guys.
I had a 250 international, so I know all about turning the opposite direction if needed.
Everybody should spend some time in a kart, and even a motorcycle to appreciate the dynamics of loss of control.

Gary
Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
... to appreciate the dynamics of loss of control.

Gary
Ehhh, a lot of us around here are on the verge of loss of control literally on a daily basis.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ehhh, a lot of us around here are on the verge of loss of control literally on a daily basis.
Are we still taking about motor vehicles?
Old 06-22-2019, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

It's an interesting discussion. I have used the light throttle and steer into the spin approach on the street and on the track quite a few times to keep the car straight. At the same time, what I have learned from racing is that sometimes you cannot save yourself and some people wreck badly from trying to save something that is beyond saving. It is important to recognize when attempting to save a poor driving decision or situation is not possible. In that case experienced drivers do a controlled spin and stop. Basically the term is both feet in and turn hard into the spin. You push the clutch pedal and brake pedal to the floor and turn in hard and hold. This increases the friction on the ground and in most cases (not all) will bring you to a quick stop.

The trick is being able to recognize what you can save and what you can't.
Gaz64 and cycleguy55 like this.

Last edited by 1795; 06-22-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Whut-chu mean Vern??