28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll never use another bronze gear again. This gear had been installed on a "new" distributor, and installed in my engine by the seller of the distributor. The visible wear occurred in less than 2,000 miles.

Last edited by HTM101; 08-06-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice pic, looks much like mine I 1st changed. With the exception of the "Mongo Drill Hole!" in it. I'd steer clear of the shop or at least don't let them use a drill.
hauss likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

looks like the bronze did what it was supposed to do {save you ham!} oops I meant cam.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
looks like the bronze did what it was supposed to do {save you ham!} oops I meant cam.
You want me to send you a distributor gear? I'll do it for free so that your engine will live.

The whole point of this is to NOT have a sacrificial anything! Why put a gear on that will wear in a couple of thousand miles, when you can have both a cam and distributor gear without wear at all?????

Did you read the post from jacobsed????

For crying out loud.
eschaider, Gaz64 and ACademic like this.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
You want me to send you a distributor gear? I'll do it for free so that your engine will live.
No. Giving away free advice is one thing, giving away free parts is another. We've had this little chat before....
Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No. Giving away free advice is one thing, giving away free parts is another. We've had this little chat before....
Remember, that little girl of yours is looking at four years at Princeton then four more years at John Hopkins Medical School -- and ol' dad's going to be on the hook for the tuition.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:

The whole point of this is to NOT have a sacrificial anything! Why put a gear on that will wear in a couple of thousand miles, when you can have both a cam and distributor gear without wear at all?????

Did you read the post from jacobsed????

For crying out loud.
Hauss, why do you ask for guidance if you choose to discard what knowledgeable advisors provide you in response to your request for help?

Brent is providing you the straight story right off the stone tablets that came from, wherever. If you follow his lead, at least you will not expire your engine or its distributor gear out in the middle of Racoon Run, Somewhere with no way home.

Brent, Patrick is right. Free advice is one thing. Free parts is another. Good hearted generosity generally goes unrewarded, You've already given the most valuable component, knowledge (which normally comes at a significant price to acquire), there is no need to give free parts no matter the price.

Just my $0.02 ...

Ed
cycleguy55 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Hauss, why do you ask for guidance if you choose to discard what knowledgeable advisors provide you in response to your request for help?

Brent is providing you the straight story right off the stone tablets that came from, wherever. If you follow his lead, at least you will not expire your engine or its distributor gear out in the middle of Racoon Run, Somewhere with no way home.

Brent, Patrick is right. Free advice is one thing. Free parts is another. Good hearted generosity generally goes unrewarded, You've already given the most valuable component, knowledge (which normally comes at a significant price to acquire), there is no need to give free parts no matter the price.

Just my $0.02 ...

Ed
Look up his post history going back to 2/2018… and you’ll see a pattern… ijs…
Old 08-06-2019, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I say use the bronze gear. If that is what the manufacturer is telling you, then blindly go where at least a few have gone before.

It isn't my engine and you (hauss) being a professional engine builder and all have probably built dozens of engines with bronze gears that lasted 100k miles.

I mean really...5 pages?
Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Mods, can we rename this thread “The worst advice thread of all time?”

Except for Brent of course.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I say use the bronze gear. If that is what the manufacturer is telling you, then blindly go where at least a few have gone before.

It isn't my engine and you (hauss) being a professional engine builder and all have probably built dozens of engines with bronze gears that lasted 100k miles.

I mean really...5 pages?
Bronze gears DO NOT last 100k miles, PERIOD.

As Brent has said, the distributor gear does need to be sacrificial AT ALL.
The gear can be as hard as the camshaft gear, and really should be.

After all, normal cast iron camshafts have distributor gears made of the same material.

I have had only 1 Bronze gear fail for me, that was enough.

Steel all the time for me now.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 08-06-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacobb View Post

Naaaahhh, we've given way worse advice than this. Like, putting your finger in the differential plug hole while the rear wheels are spinning.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacobb View Post

Sitting in the back row, why don't you put your hand up with your own advice?

Gary
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Bronze gears DO NOT last 100k miles, PERIOD.

As Brent has said, the distributor gear does need to be sacrificial AT ALL.
The gear can be as hard as the camshaft gear, and really should be.

After all, normal cast iron camshafts have distributor gears made of the same material.

I have had only 1 Bronze gear fail for me, that was enough.

Steel all the time for me now.

Gary
It was sarcasm. 50 people saying to not use a bronze gear including a well known builder and we still see a comment from the guy stating he is going to use it.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I looked back at all my post and lots of people talking witch to me is good. I do not think 600hp cars are 100,000 mile cars. Not the way I drive. I will however keep a eye on things and do all I can to make it last. I wonder if even one person has called comp cams and got their opinion .I have been told they make a lot of cams. Just sayin.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

hauss,

I have followed this since the beginning. I can't take it anymore. Brent Lykins is on a first name basis with Comp- cams. Yes he has spoken with them. If you can't understand what he s saying then all hope is lost for you. Just sayin.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
I looked back at all my post and lots of people talking witch to me is good. I do not think 600hp cars are 100,000 mile cars. Not the way I drive. I will however keep a eye on things and do all I can to make it last. I wonder if even one person has called comp cams and got their opinion .I have been told they make a lot of cams. Just sayin.
Jacobsed talked to Comp Cams. They told them a bronze gear might last 2500 miles.

You explain to me why you would want to put anything in your engine that would last 2500 miles when I've proven that there are combos that will last indefinitely.

I built a 482ci FE for a guy that pulls a 10000lb travel trailer. It has a billet core cam with an MSD distributor that I put a steel gear on. He put 10000 miles on it the first year.

You have wear on your gear. It will eventually put a bunch of bronze shavings in your engine or your engine will quit on you because there's nothing left for the cam to turn the distributor with.

Comp Cams makes a lot of cams. I use a lot of cams. I use steel gears on steel cores. I don't have wear issues. It's that simple. I could understand your stubbornness if your gear wasn't worn.....but you're actually proving everyone's point.
Cobra #3170 and cycleguy55 like this.

Last edited by blykins; 08-07-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Brent, you're wasting your breath (like so many of us already have in this thread). I went back as BDR Boy suggested to look at his other posts and this guy is nothing more than a $hit disturber, a troll or possibly both.

He is definitely not worth the effort that has been expended on his behalf by so many here. The only possible good that has come out of this thread is others understand more about distributor gear materials and what to use where. Of course the bonus (if there is one) is recognizing him for the jerk he is.

I find the ignore function on the site particularly useful with posters like this ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Sitting in the back row, why don't you put your hand up with your own advice?

Gary
I only do that when I know what I’m talking about.

Nor do I see the need when someone is ignoring it.

Last edited by dacobb; 08-07-2019 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You have wear on your gear. It will eventually put a bunch of bronze shavings in your engine or your engine will quit on you because there's nothing left for the cam to turn the distributor with.
And in the interim his timing is going to get increasingly flaky as the clearance on the bronze gear gradually increases.