Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cracks me up how some say the movie is not period correct. Hey, the cars we drive are not either. Think about it.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LASAAC did send out on there newsletter a link which I like.

Not sure if in the 60's it was Ken or Phil or if it did relay happen this way.
But I say only "Happy Bill.."
https://youtu.be/-zkT722rh98
Old 10-31-2019, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
Cracks me up how some say the movie is not period correct. Hey, the cars we drive are not either. Think about it.
Yes, and the filmmaker also did not crash $200M worth of vintage race cars.

People should be rejoicing movies like this still get made in Hollywood.
cycleguy55, HTM101 and Phx Mike like this.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post
Yes, and the filmmaker also did not crash $200M worth of vintage race cars.

People should be rejoicing movies like this still get made in Hollywood.
Yes, can't wait to see this movie.

Gary
Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
LASAAC did send out on there newsletter a link which I like.

Not sure if in the 60's it was Ken or Phil or if it did relay happen this way.
But I say only "Happy Bill.."
https://youtu.be/-zkT722rh98
I thought the story was that he just slammed the trunk lid on the suitcase until it closed properly, but I wouldn't argue with a man on a mission with a big hammer.

Incidentally, I see that "Ken's" hammer is a ball pein hammer (that's a sheetmetal worker's hammer to the uninitiated) so if it did happen this way, the researchers did a thorough job

Looking forward to the movie
Even my wife is looking forward to the movie (I've been to see "Downton Abbey" as well as "Judy" recently, so she owes me )

Cheers!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 11-01-2019 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Let me put my $.02 in here, if I might. Back in 63 at the tender age of 8Yo, I was able to hang with the Shelby guy's at (Pacific Raceways) Kent Wa. when ol'Shel sent 3 Cobras up to gather points for the Nationals, and easy picking of our Corvette's. Fri. Sat., and Sun. I spent waxing Cobras, polishing wheel's, and whatever a "Gofer" does. The Ken Miles in this trailer, is NOTHING, like the Gentleman I saw here. Getting punched by Shelby (Come On) no way in hell did that every happen, (But Hollywood) in their infinite wisdom, say's it will "Sell" I will go, watch the movie, for the cars, but not the story, Does this make sense to you guy's? P.S. I was taken for 3-QUICK lap's after the races on Sunday, with the "Great Ken Miles" as my reward, for doing a good job, over weekend, I then became a Cobra Fan for LIFE. Cheers Boy's. Tommyrot.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You lucky, lucky, lucky boy, Tom. I never got to see a car race 'live' until I went to Bathurst in '74 (1600 miles round trip in a weekend).....and you did laps with the late, great Ken Miles! Wow!

I'm in agreement. His nickname was "Teddy Tea Bag" .... hard to reconcile that with Christian Bales' Ken. From the advance promo's, though, it will be an entertaining movie.

Cheers!!!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Indeed I was, my friend. And I knew it even then I met all the greats back then, that raced here. Even met (The Greatest, IMHO) Jimmy Clark & Susie, they were here for one day (Fri.) before a big Group 7 race (Pre-Can-Am), to try and sort out one of Colin's Lotus 30's, kept over heating so they took the next plane back, I doubt even 6-8 people ever saw him, at the track. Spent the weekend in 68 at the Trans-Am race, with the "Late Great Mark Donohue" The story's I have Glen Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, etc, etc. Cheers Tom.
maurice19 and RB60 like this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 10-31-2019 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: added a word
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Wow Tom - what memories - thanks for sharing them.

My memories of those days are confined to those of a schoolboy racing fan attending the races at Killarney track in Cape Town in the 60's and seeing Bobby Olthoff racing his Cobra and Galaxy (Turned me into an instant Cobra fan). Also the 6 hour races with GT40's, Ferrari P4's, Lola T70's, Porsche 917's etc that appeared at different times and sometimes together. (A lasting memory is standing on the Dunlop Bridge looking through the treads and watching and hearing those cars passing through just before their braking point. Will never forget the rush they gave.

Also was a huge fan of the young Jodie Scheckter in his Renault R8 Gordini. His car control shone through even then.

It was the best of times for a young racing fan and turned me into a lifelong petrolhead.

Am really looking forward to the Movie.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by Snake2998; 11-01-2019 at 02:51 AM..
Old 11-01-2019, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
....The story's I have Glen Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, etc, etc. Cheers Tom.
Wow! I can't even imagine how good that would have been to see those legends in person, Tom.

My stories of motor racing heroes didn't start until much later. I was lucky enough to be a marshall at the Australian Grand Prix when it was held in Adelaide from 1985 to 1995. Access to the F1 pitlane was a bonus, and I have some up-close pics of some of my period heros (Senna, Prost, Alesi, Mansell, Berger) but a real highlight was in 1990 when Adelaide hosted the 500th "modern era" F1 race and I had brief contact with the late, great Juan Manuel Fangio, there for the event.

I do know that Ken Miles did actually race here in the Australian Tourist Trophy race (Lakeside, Queensland) in 1965 in the 427 prototype, CSX3002, but Lakeside is more than 1400 miles from home for me, so I knew nothing about it at the time. Back then at a very tender young age, I did however fancy myself as a race driver on my 'hot-rodded" 1930's-vintage tractor (I lived on a property).

Enough drivel. Looking forward to the movie!

Cheers,
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.