• 1 Post By tomshep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Engine ID????

I have BDR build 151 with a Ford Performance engine. I'm truing to ascertain info about the engine, ie: who built it, size/cubic inch, hp, etc..
Here's what I do know...1. BDR did not install the engine...it was shipped to a dealer in California who is no longer in business and I could find no information
about them. 2. On the block located next to the distributor shaft hole, the number 4K0063 is stamped. 3. It also has on the front of the block, driver side, raised letters in the casting, the Ford logo and "Performance" directly underneath it. 4. It is a complete roller engine, Scorpion roller rockers, Victor Jr. heads, Edelbrock Air Gap intake. The valve covers are "Ford Performance" which I believe to be the original.
What I was told by the second owners son was, he thought it was a 351 Windsor block bored to 418. He had no clue about anything else as he was selling it for his Dad who just had a stroke and couldn't remember anything about the car.
I originally thought the engine was built by Smeding Performance who was in California but since has moved operations to Bourne< TX. I talked with Jacob from Smeding and he said the numbers on the engine were not theirs.
Anyone have a clue about this engine I'd sure appreciate you sharing or perhaps if you know someone who may....THANKS, Ron ronthomas@cox.net, 870-688-1635
Old 03-24-2020, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2004 build

Here's another question... the car was completed and sold in California in 2004, build no. 151. I've contacted eleven Ford performance builders and not one could give me any info about the engine. All seemed to be "young" guys who could only look stuff up on their computer. What I guess I'm looking for is someone who has a low number BDR with a 351W engine marked "Ford" "Performance" that has some knowledge as to where these engines were made...somewhere in CA. I also thought BDR originally was located in CA but the lady I spoke with in FL (at BDR) said they have always been in FL....hell I don't know, how about any of you?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Most likely a 408 stroker, that was a common build around that time. Short of pulling the heads and checking the bore and stroke it’s all just a guess.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

You are mistakenly thinking like these cars were built bumper to bumper from one manufacturer. BDR did built most of the car minus the entire drive train. When it comes to the drive train (engine especially), it could have been built by anything from a individual in his own garage, to a specialty shop like Craft, Blykins, Roush, etc.....

I can build an engine, and stroke it to a different displacement. Unless I choose to attach a build sheet to the engine (which is rarely done), there is not one marking on the engine to give you a single clue as to what it is now. Only what the block was originally cast to be, is in the casting numbers.

In this case, you need to ask the kid, who sold it to you, about his fathers friends that he hung around with. Those guys will likely know something about the car. Also ask if he will look for records that the father had on the car. If that fails, search for the previous ower(s). DMV should have records of who has owned the car, if they are allowed to share that with you.
ront49 likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine ID

Whoops, I made a mistake...cast into the front of the engine on both sides is the Ford logo and directly underneath it "Racing" not Performance...visited with the previous owners son (he's in his 60's), and he said his father had purchased the car from a guy in Connecticut but that was all he knew. He did tell me that it was a 351W bored to 418cu. in.. Talked to Backdraft and they said it originally went to a dealer in California in 2003. That dealer, she couldn't remember the name California something...sold the car in 2004. She said the engine was probably built and installed by a local performance shop. I could not find any info about either of these businesses. Sooooo, here I am again back to square one....
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

A good question might be, other than curiosity, is there some pressing reason why this information is important to you? If it comes down to curiosity, drive the car, enjoy it and when the engine needs freshening all your questions will have obvious answers.

Ed
ront49 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

First, just to clear up misconceptions, a 351W can only be bored safely to about 0.040" (some blocks will go 0.060") which does not gain a lot of CID. The engine has been stroked (and likely bored too) to get to 418 CID. That was a popular stroker combination. It is a 4.100" stroke and uses a 6.2" rod length. That stroke and a 0.030" overbore gives the 418 cid. Most people go with a 0.030" overbore, if the block doesn't need anymore to clean it up. That leaves something to work with on the next rebuild.

So at this point I must ask, why do you want to know all this information about the engine? If it runs good, drive it. If it needs rebuilt, rebuild it. If you are curious about the power, put it on a chassis dyno and measure it.

Yes I like to know what my engine is too, but it doesn't have a practical use.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2004 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
First, just to clear up misconceptions, a 351W can only be bored safely to about 0.040" (some blocks will go 0.060") which does not gain a lot of CID. The engine has been stroked (and likely bored too) to get to 418 CID. That was a popular stroker combination. It is a 4.100" stroke and uses a 6.2" rod length. That stroke and a 0.030" overbore gives the 418 cid. Most people go with a 0.030" overbore, if the block doesn't need anymore to clean it up. That leaves something to work with on the next rebuild.

So at this point I must ask, why do you want to know all this information about the engine? If it runs good, drive it. If it needs rebuilt, rebuild it. If you are curious about the power, put it on a chassis dyno and measure it.

Yes I like to know what my engine is too, but it doesn't have a practical use.
Just curious...thanks for your input.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should have a pretty stout motor. That block is an Aftermarket block available through Ford Racing, it didn't come in a production vehicle. You should be able to get a part number near the oil pan rail. Call Ford Racing and give them that number so you know what the block is at least. They have 2 bolt and 4 bolt mains in that era.

Tom
ront49 likes this.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Block

Thanks Tom!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There was a place in San Diego called California Cobra back then that sold a few BDR cars. They have been out of business for quite a few years.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default California Cobra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
There was a place in San Diego called California Cobra back then that sold a few BDR cars. They have been out of business for quite a few years.
Thanks for the lead....Anyone know of this company?