Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     
Default Third brake light

The combination of Cobras being so low combined with the fact that everyone on the road is pretty much shot made me always concerned about getting rear ended. So a while back I asked for some suggestions for what other people had done for third brake lights. There were some good ideas but none were as discreet as I wanted. Basically I wanted something invisible when unlit but bright when lit. I think I finally have something that does the trick! I found an LED that fires from the side rather than the top. It took 3 iterations from the vendor to get it right but the finished product is exactly what I was hoping for.
Attached Images

SGwick likes this.

Last edited by rads42; 05-24-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I love that! Just what I'm looking for. Can you give some purchase information?
rads42 likes this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I also would like the purchase information That is a great idea.
rads42 likes this.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is one of the best ideas

I'm really struck by this idea. I had not seen this any where before . I think it's doable. I have a higher than normal roll bar. that would make it the highest point one the car. The only draw back it wouldn't be very visible with the soft top I'm getting installed was actually on, but it never was before. I wonder if with the LEDs it would be able to incorporate recent tech with a system that flashes a couple of rapid flashes initially before staying on steady when braking. The flashes get your attention then it stays on while breaking. I'd like as much information as you'd share. As I remember Shelby said when introducing his continuation series at the Southern Desert penitentiary "with historically warranted modifications" this fits that scenario. When driving I often have some one following so close that the probably couldn't see the regular tail lights. What and where please?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-24-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brake light flasher modules are available from a lot of places. Usually <$20 or so.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm glad you guys like the idea. So I'll give you all the information I have but there is a caveat to it. The company I got the product from is called Radiantz out of OR. I called them and explained my idea/application, I had to eventually sketch something up and scan it over to them. It seemed like they understood and told me the sidefires were just the thing I needed but when the product came it came it was wrong. There is a right and left to this and they sent me two lefts. So I took photos and explained the error, they apologized and started work on a new one. It took a while but it eventually a new one correctly configured arrived, I tested it and it worked. I hate to make any permanent modifications to my car so I wanted to run the wires in to the trunk down the bottom of the roll bar support tube and cover it with black tape of some kind. I tried that a few different ways and it always looked like a hack job. Eventually I realized running it inside the roll bar was going to be the best way. So I drilled two holes and fished the wiring through. I bought grommets form Harbor freight for the holes. The grommet's depth was too thin for the roll bar wall thickness so I cut one side off of two grommets and glued it together to make one thicker one. It worked perfectly. I wired everything up and tried it out....half of the LED's were not lit on both sides, but if you touched them or moved them they worked intermittently. I took great care during installation to not pull on the LED's themselves so I was pretty confident I didn't do anything to damage them during install. I took photos of the problem and sent them to Radiantz, they said that they'd had some trouble with a resistor in that sidefire LED and weren't confident in it so they offered to refund my money. I told them that I had made permanent modification to my car based on their assurance that this was a great product and definitely the way to go for my application so no, I don't want a refund I would like a new product. I didn't want to pull all the wire and reconnect to the tail lights again so I requested they just send the LED's with about 12" of wire on them. They agreed and 2-3 weeks later I received them, soldered them up with the original wire and here we are. So that's a long story but I wanted to tell it because I don't know how receptive they will be to making up more of them. There is at least one other company that makes sidefire LED's that I found (can't recall the name) bu they'll only sell it in like a 50' roll and then you'd have to wire them up yourself, etc. This was going to be plan "B" for me if Radiantz didn't come through on this last one, thankfully they did. Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this. I'm really happy with the result, hopefully they'll last.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Put a motorcycle rear lamp where the license plate light is .....it's a taillight and third brake light ...you can get Lucas .....it's easy man.. again if pictures with easy I would post one.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Superstition Bill installed three very small LEDs on his roll bar. They are barely noticeable until they are on. I think they were just dash warning lights and they do a good job. Not nearly as bright at Rad's but much less effort and heartburn but still effective. My 2¢.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
Put a motorcycle rear lamp where the license plate light is .....it's a taillight and third brake light ...you can get Lucas .....it's easy man.. again if pictures with easy I would post one.
I saw that before I started. I was looking for something higher.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree. Placing a third brake light between the original brake lights will help a little, but not much. It's still only 2-3' above the street. May not help much in this SUV/truck world.

My FFR had a single full width roll bar; used to be a FFR option. I mounted a bright LED third brake light on the bar, and ran the wires through the bar and in to the trunk. Worked really well, and unobtrusive.

I want to do something similar, but haven't quite decided how yet.
rads42 likes this.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 05-25-2020, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Not to hijack this thread ... just wanted to share a 3rd brake light option the prior owner of my car, SPO2454 added. It's not as high as what the roll bar provides but it works. He had a custom bracket made for the Fire Extinguisher which this attaches to so it's centered in between both seats... The Tonneau cover still fits snugly but don't think it's visible with the soft-top. Hopefully you can see it okay.

Here is a link to the light: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...hoCL5cQAvD_BwE
Spare Lens: https://www.carid.com/billet-special...leid=470256974

Light bulb is: 6411 (it takes 2 bulbs)

Hope this helps....
Attached Images

rads42 likes this.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600

Last edited by Moritz55; 05-27-2020 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is one of the best ideas

How did you attach the LEDs to your roll bar? What did you do and what did Radiantz do, to that end? I have a black painted functional roll bar with thick walls so I think Id use a small squirt of black RTV (silicone adhesive) for the wire pass through hole. With these LEDs do you use two wires each hot and ground? Any other details? Life is one thing after another to overcome.

( R=room T= temperature V= vulcanizing)

In the pictures I see that you have the lift dot s for a soft top with and a little higher than normal roll bar with a rear brace leg that come through the deck looks like it is outside the natural curve of the lift dot fasteners. What did you do to the soft top to accommodate the rear brace leg? I'm looking for pictures for the upholster that is handling my soft top situation.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-25-2020 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
How did you attach the LEDs to your roll bar? What did you do and what did Radiantz do, to that end? I have a black painted functional roll bar with thick walls so I think Id use a small squirt of black RTV (silicone adhesive) for the wire pass through hole. With these LEDs do you use two wires each hot and ground? Any other details? Life is one thing after another to overcome.

( R=room T= temperature V= vulcanizing)

In the pictures I see that you have the lift dot s for a soft top with and a little higher than normal roll bar with a rear brace leg that come through the deck looks like it is outside the natural curve of the lift dot fasteners. What did you do to the soft top to accommodate the rear brace leg? I'm looking for pictures for the upholster that is handling my soft top situation.

The LED's are attached to the roll-bar with a 3M tape that came on them. Radiantz made up a roughly 6' long wiring harness with four wires, a hot and a ground for each LED and shrink wrapped it. I had to cut some of the shrink tube off to run the wires to the passenger side and then I wired each LED to a taillight (so they blink when the blinkers are on as well). If I had it to do over I probably would ask them to leave the shrink wrap off but send it along and I would do it myself where I wanted it rather than having to cut portions of it off.
As I said I made up a grommet from ones I bought at Harbor freight so I didn't use any RTV. Hope that helps with your questions.

As far as your other question, I have the lift dots but I don't have a soft top. I use them for a tonneau cover so I can't help you there.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I'm trying to reach RADIANTZ

I'm trying to reach out to Radiantz using their (contact us) which wants to go to "Windows 10 mail" which I'm not signed up for. My regular email keeps rejecting and gets returned.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

try this: sales@radiantz.com
rads42 likes this.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 05-26-2020, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Radiantz phone number works but the "contact us" brings up Windows 10 mail I've never used it and my regular mail. I sent( through my email] sales@radiantz.com[/email] is sent back to sender immediately.
So I typed a message on Windows 10 mail I'll se what happens. Telephone they said side firing and their sidefirz are different. The sidefirz shows a white flexible led strip and was told it was much larger LEDs and top emitting LED strip. As I remember the person on the phone said they were on back ordered for now because of the shut downs. I do not want to buy the wrong stuff but am willing to wait. I am in trouble for buying stuff I didn't install.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-30-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Mine is dead centre on a full width roll bar (yes, I know that's heresy to many folks, but that's what the car came with).

rads42 likes this.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default what i've narrowed thing to

Radiantz has not responded by email yet and I have had two brief phone calls. I mentioned side firing LEDs and he said "SIDEWINDERZ" So looking at their online catalog I find That they name their LED stuff with names ending with a Z Their Sidewinderz are described as pre cut lengths flexible strips of different colored LED strips, taped on three sides and pre wired with 36 inch wire leads. Can be cut down in three LED lengths. Me playing detective using picture of your car with its third brake light and their online catalog . I arrived at this end. Radiantz "SIDEWINDERZ" RED 12 LED 4.7 inches long (2012 -10 RED $6.80 each) does that sound correct? If so I'll order two or more.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-01-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Old 05-31-2020, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     
Default third brake light

This Hella unit is common here in Aust. fitted to the rear deck above the boot (trunk) lid

Doug
rads42 likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsboogie351 View Post

This Hella unit is common here in Aust. fitted to the rear deck above the boot (trunk) lid

Doug
That unit looks really nice once painted and has a nice slim look. Seen one on a Viking blue cobra and it was a great mod.