Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gaz64
  • 1 Post By hauss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default Belt tension

I have a cog belt for my water pump and alternator not sure how much to tighten it. should it be somewhat loose compared to a v belt their is not much stretch to it . Belt looks like a blower belt if that helps.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From Peterson Fluid Systems:

Tuesday Tech Tip:
Setting belt tension & HTD belts (radius tooth) vs. Gilmer belts (square tooth).
Unlike v-belts and serpentine style belts, toothed belts such as HTD and Gilmer's don't need to be overly tight. The teeth on the belt do the work, not the tension. The rule of thumb to check belt tension is you should be able to grab the belt in the center between the two pulleys and turn it 90 degrees so the teeth are facing you. If you can turn it 180 so the teeth are pointing straight up at you, its too loose. If you can't turn it 90 degrees, its too tight.
Over tightening belts can cause excessive belt walking and occasionally premature pulley wear.
cycleguy55 and hauss like this.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 09-30-2020, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
From Peterson Fluid Systems:

Tuesday Tech Tip:
Setting belt tension & HTD belts (radius tooth) vs. Gilmer belts (square tooth).
Unlike v-belts and serpentine style belts, toothed belts such as HTD and Gilmer's don't need to be overly tight. The teeth on the belt do the work, not the tension. The rule of thumb to check belt tension is you should be able to grab the belt in the center between the two pulleys and turn it 90 degrees so the teeth are facing you. If you can turn it 180 so the teeth are pointing straight up at you, its too loose. If you can't turn it 90 degrees, its too tight.
Over tightening belts can cause excessive belt walking and occasionally premature pulley wear.
I have looked all over and ask alot of people this question and you sir are the first to give a good answer .Thank you very much!
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You're welcome.

I looked for that to save me typing.

Thanks to Peterson.

Timing belts are similar.

Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-01-2020, 05:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I've had really bad luck with lugged belts squeezing and slipping. Found that solid belts work better

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 10-01-2020, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let"s just say the jury is still out. To be fair 5500 rpm, Improper belt tension, bearing on alternator completely shot and finally improper alignment . Now that all issues are addressed we will see how it goes. By the way, found out you can use a chevy alternator on a ford just need a 7/16 drill bit to widen the bottom hole and a spacer found a 100 amp single wire chrome for $120 at my local speed shop. They wanted $ 240 for the crome ford one.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4071, SHP 408 Carb dry sump, G-Force T-5, 4 into 4 headers, 3-link 8.8 with 3.55 gears in the rear
Not Ranked     

Make sure the alternator pulley diameter is appropriate for the crank pulley given the alternator's specifications. The alternator RPM is determined by the crank to alternator pulley ratio of the diameters. You might see discussions on this topic that refer to underdrive or overdrive setups.
My current setup will not charge the system at idle but is made to withstand the 7K RPMs it's likely to see at the track. My previous alternator setup would often fail at the track because they couldn't handle the high RPMs for the length of time I was driving in the events.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Let"s just say the jury is still out. To be fair 5500 rpm, Improper belt tension, bearing on alternator completely shot and finally improper alignment . Now that all issues are addressed we will see how it goes. By the way, found out you can use a chevy alternator on a ford just need a 7/16 drill bit to widen the bottom hole and a spacer found a 100 amp single wire chrome for $120 at my local speed shop. They wanted $ 240 for the crome ford one.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I MUCH prefer a Ford 3G over the common GM style 1-wire alternators. At least part of the reason can be found in this Web page: Catalog
Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure what you are talking about all I can say easy mods and so far works great not trying to be a wise guy their is a lot I just do not know . ford 3 g ? my motor sees 6k rpms once in awhile will this hurt the chevy alternator ?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Dry sump pumps are toothed like that. You can slide the belt off the pulley at any time and they are made to run like that.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok here is the latest alternator bolt on bottom was slightly bent causing alternator to not be square causing belt to come off. Going to replace with case hardened bolt for fix. I am really starting to like serpentine belts with auto adjusters. Never had so many issues with a darn belt before.