Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Insurance coverage if driving on Goodyear billboard tires?

Would your insurance possibly be voided if you had an accident while driving on a non DOT approved set of tires?
Old 06-19-2021, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

My guess would be that would be a big Yes! I am not an insurance agent, but knowing how they look for any means of not paying out if they realized that a person were driving on tires that were not road legal they would avoid paying out. You would also be opening the door for civil litigation and possible criminal charges if someone were injured.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

And what if the tires had nothing to do with the loss? You know, like I'm pretending to be Morris while taking a reverse camber 180 degree turn at 110? Or I just blow through a red light without even tapping the brakes? Shouldn't "causation" be a factor?
Old 06-19-2021, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If tires were a contributing factor and found not to be DOT compliant by a
insurance claim investigator, the door is open for the underwriter to walk.

If you own (6) cars and it's only vehicle damage, you have not submitted
any claims in lets say, the past 5 years, underwriter may payout
and recoup on the back end with increased premium rates to keep the
money train rolling.

If there's bodily harm or death involved, expect to by on your own.

If tires were not a contributing factor, like a guy blew through a red light
and T-boned your car, probably will get paid.

Last edited by Unique427; 06-19-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Old 06-19-2021, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

IDK, no guessing which way an insurance company will go. However, I've heard of a couple of things collector insurance covered that the owner was really worried about. You're rolling the dice.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

But how is driving on non-DOT tires any different than the lazy driver who drives on tires that have the steel belts literally fraying and sticking out of the bald, treadless tires? Would a carrier really say "because your tires were really old and shi**y we are withholding coverage." If I'm insuring myself against my own negligence and stupidity, shouldn't using non-DOT tires be at the top of that covered list?
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But how is driving on non-DOT tires any different than the lazy driver who drives on tires that have the steel belts literally fraying and sticking out of the bald, treadless tires? Would a carrier really say "because your tires were really old and shi**y we are withholding coverage." If I'm insuring myself against my own negligence and stupidity, shouldn't using non-DOT tires be at the top of that covered list?
Good point. Claims involving willful negligence are usually paid out.

For the most part, it all comes down to how a specific policy is written.
But insurance companies do weigh the perceived cost/benefit
of your continued business.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would guess if the accident is directly related tot he tires in some fashion, you are probably a bit screwed. Anything else, and they probably wouldn't notice. I don't have DOT headlights, seatbelts, and a variety of other items, but I doubt they would deny the claim unless that specific items was the cause.

Unfortunately though, certain tires are a lot more obvious than headlights!
Old 06-20-2021, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I had this same concern when I was running Billboards and got it in writing from my insurance agent that I would be covered. This was his response:

"I just found a note that you called about using non DOT approved tires on your car. I have never heard of any claims being denied for something like this. I don’t think you will find anything in the insurance policy that says you have to have DOT approved tires on your car to have a claim covered. Thought I would send this to you in writing, in case there was any question."

That being said, get the Avon's!!!
Old 06-20-2021, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

FYI:
Most racing harnesses are not DOT approved either. There is one company that makes DOT approved racing harnesses, but you also need to make sure those are mounted properly as per DOT specs.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 06-20-2021, 06:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I would guess if the accident is directly related tot he tires in some fashion, you are probably a bit screwed.
But would just showing causation be enough? Wouldn't the insurance carrier have to show differential causation to deny coverage, meaning not only would they have to show that the non-DOT tires caused the accident but that if I had been using DOT tires I would not have had the accident to begin with?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B-McGill
Not Ranked     

From what I have read on this forum,
If your insurance will cover you if you drive with Avon's in the rain,
then it will cover you driving with Billboards.

But realistically, there would have to be a clause or stipulation in the policy.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

if you trying to capture "the Look" just buy a stencil kits and call it a day. Billboard Stencils : RACELINE DIGITAL, Boat Graphics | Motorsport Graphics
Old 06-20-2021, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Avon's are DOT approved. Billboards are not.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Everything about these cars is either dangerous or illegal, so what’s one more thing?
Old 06-20-2021, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And what if the tires had nothing to do with the loss? Or I just blow through a red light without even tapping the brakes? Shouldn't "causation" be a factor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post
If tires were not a contributing factor, like a guy blew through a red light and T-boned your car, probably will get paid.
Quote:
But would just showing causation be enough? Wouldn't the insurance carrier have to show differential causation to deny coverage, meaning not only would they have to show that the non-DOT tires caused the accident but that if I had been using DOT tires I would not have had the accident to begin with?
All valid points. PLUS, in virtually all cases involving collector vehicles, the owner is required to provide recent photos of the car to show proof of condition and especially to validate the agreed-upon replacement value. There is culpability on the insurance company if they accept said photos (even with the car wearing Billboards) and still decide to insure thereafter. They had proof and still chose to insure the vehicle. That fault lies on their underwriters and those that ultimately approve to issue a policy.

The above would be cornerstones of my defense in using Billboards and still be covered. Otherwise, I litigate.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I thought Billboard Tires were cool until I put a set on my car... A huge waste of money. You take a really nice car that performs extremely well considering they are a 60's race car. monster motor with a stupid amount of power then put the world biggest POS tire on the market because they look cool? That was the dumbest move I EVER MADE while owning cobras for 20 years. Install the AVONS and carry on... the billboards look cool but will KILL you over 80mph. Every Time I see a car with Billboards I know that any car on the road that can go over 100MPH will smoke that car due to the stupid billboard tires. Just my opinion after owning an ERA and a CSX for 20 years. you can have the best car/kart on the track put crap tires and you will get SMOKED every time. SMH I bet any racer here will agree.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Have you guys actually dealt with attorneys?

They will use anything and everything even remotely related to an incident to maximize their clients (and more importantly their own) take. An illegal tire on a dangerous vehicle? You honor the accident clearly wouldn ‘t have occured had the irresponsible sports car owner had legal TIREs…
Old 06-21-2021, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Just remember, if something were ever to happen that involved having to go to court, a quick search of someones web posts on public forums would occur, so be careful about what you say on public forums. It has been said here before that some insurance companies go to this site and look to see what people who they are insuring are admitting to........

In addition, while some insurance companies may decide to pay on a claim for gross negligence on an insured's part, negligence on a driver's part that causes harm to another person is a crime in most states.

Last edited by 1795; 06-21-2021 at 06:00 PM..
Old 06-22-2021, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

no DOT = not street legal = no drive
This is the reason why I did put Avons on my 289

The risk is to high to be involved in an accident. You don't even have to be at fault, but if others are searching for a reason to put you in big trouble, tires would be a good starting point, on car.
sunman and tortuga like this.