LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020 GT500 CFTP View Post
You ain’t seen nothing yet on the price of fuel. Rent crude over $130/barrel and wti was at $125/ barrel. The the geniuses in dc are to blame for what’s coming!
There's no genius involved here. In fact it's the opposite. Just one idiot. The idiot at 1600 PA Ave said he wanted $5+/gal gas. This is only fixed in November.

Don't blame the world situation. It started with the shutdown of the pipeline nd blocking exploration and drilling. This only made it worse. And don't say it's Trump's fault. Putin had started this but knew he couldn't get away with it while Trump was in office.

Oh, and Sleepy Joe will mumble something from the basement that inflation is going down.
jolsen42, sgianino, bingo2 and 1 others like this.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Build 496 Roush 402R Sterling Gray with Silver Stripes
Not Ranked     

$4.99 for Diesel, ethanol free 87 and premium. Hendersonville, TN
Old 03-07-2022, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
Electric cars are a joke! Where do you think power to charge them comes from?
Solar panels are built by what? More solar panels? Wind power is a great idea that is even more fuel costly. Where does the power to even build them come from? The electric car fad is a joke.
Seriously?!?! Electric cars are a joke??? Well, I'm not a rocket scientist (well, actually I am by occupation sort of) but with the rise in gas prices and the fact that we are now looking to spend around $100 to fill up our daily drivers, don't you think it makes economic sense to minimize the impact to your own wallet by considering a mode of transportation that will get you through this unknown period of rising gas prices?

My Ex got the Prius in the divorce settlement. I'm thinking of re-nogotiating the settlement.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
Seriously?!?! Electric cars are a joke??? Well, I'm not a rocket scientist (well, actually I am by occupation sort of) but with the rise in gas prices and the fact that we are now looking to spend around $100 to fill up our daily drivers, don't you think it makes economic sense to minimize the impact to your own wallet by considering a mode of transportation that will get you through this unknown period of rising gas prices?

My Ex got the Prius in the divorce settlement. I'm thinking of re-nogotiating the settlement.
Electric vehicles are like the old days of diesel. In the late 70s/early 80s we bought a diesel Mercedes because (1) Jimmy Carter's gas lines didn't affect diesel and (2) when gas then was going through price changes like this, diesel was .19/gal. That was because they didn't (at the time) collect tax at the pump - you filled up at truck stops.

So eventually the burden on the power grid will start to affect usage, infrastructure won't be able to handle 100 cars plugged in at once in a subdivision and will have to be upgraded, and the cost of electricity WILL GO UP FOR EVERYONE.

Secondly, the claim that electric vehicles reduce emissions is a boatload of crap. All it does is move the point of creation of that emissions from your tailpipe to the smokestack of a power plant in Wyoming. Nuclear is an answer but they won't do that. Hydro power too, but you won't see any valleys flooded any more. Wind and solar can't make enough.

And just like nuclear power rods, they are realizing that disposing of batteries is going to be an issue, but we won't worry about that now because the greenies have their heads in the sand.

I have no doubt that EVs make some level of sense. I'd consider one myself for pure city driving. I think the conversion of in-city commercial fleets to electric makes a lot of sense due to their limited range. The Ford electric pickup addresses a need for the trades that go to a job site and have to go fetch a piece of plywood from Home Depot. But until I can drive from Nevada to Colorado (800 miles) with two stops of 15 minutes, they're not on my wishlist. Farm planting season is just starting. Wait until the fall crop comes in and prices for carrots go to that of gold.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
PJ UPTMOR, jolsen42 and redmt like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-07-2022 at 08:41 AM..
Old 03-07-2022, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
There's no genius involved here. In fact it's the opposite. Just one idiot. The idiot at 1600 PA Ave said he wanted $5+/gal gas. This is only fixed in November.

Don't blame the world situation. It started with the shutdown of the pipeline nd blocking exploration and drilling. This only made it worse. And don't say it's Trump's fault. Putin had started this but knew he couldn't get away with it while Trump was in office.

Oh, and Sleepy Joe will mumble something from the basement that inflation is going down.
The "Truth Social" site must be down again......another wave of Putineers resurface to whine again.
Tommy, Alfa02, SBSerpent and 1 others like this.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The electric grid is crumbling. The greed and corruption goes unchecked. Electricity prices are soaring to try and slow the consumption of the "energy efficient" all electric homes. Solar is becoming mandatory for new construction in many parts of the country. Solar panels have a finite life as do the batteries. Where do the batteries come from? How are they made? What do you do to recycle them? The electric cars fit into a very small populace that can fit into an even smaller life style. Wind power? There's an old saying that you don't want to live where a wind generator is efficient. BTW, how did all these new electric cars and solar panels along with the massive wind turbines get built? The majority are imported from china and shipped with the new Tesla electric freighter ships.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I have a Superformance ordered SP03539
Not Ranked     

NROTOXIN I love it very true.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:51 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

So here we are boys, it's Us Vs Them. Even in the US, never thought I would see the day. This is not the time to be divided as American's we have to stand strong with the rest of the free world against the Russian Leader, (I'm sure the Russian people doesn't want war any more than the rest of world). Please guys put our countries issues aside and look at the big picture. I'm sorry but this may be for the sake of Mankind itself.
NROTOXIN and navyeod like this.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
The "Truth Social" site must be down again......another wave of Putineers resurface to whine again.
I'd sure like to know what you are thinking. You're way off the mark.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The electric grid is crumbling. The greed and corruption goes unchecked. Electricity prices are soaring to try and slow the consumption of the "energy efficient" all electric homes. Solar is becoming mandatory for new construction in many parts of the country. Solar panels have a finite life as do the batteries. Where do the batteries come from? How are they made? What do you do to recycle them? The electric cars fit into a very small populace that can fit into an even smaller life style. Wind power? There's an old saying that you don't want to live where a wind generator is efficient. BTW, how did all these new electric cars and solar panels along with the massive wind turbines get built? The majority are imported from china and shipped with the new Tesla electric freighter ships.
The electric grid is sized for consumption. It's resized for incremental growth. But the capacity planners are not prepared for a doubling of consumption in 5 years. The grid has no storage capacity - it is not a battery - what goes in is what goes out. Watts have to come from somewhere. Petrolium supplies a lot of watts. Shifting from liquid watts to wire watts is not an infrastructure change that can happen overnight. Nor will it be cheap.

Pretty soon some electric supplier is going to go to their states Public Utilities Commission and ask for a double-the-price rate increase. The reason - we have to double the capacity of the wires to these locations. The powers that be will whine but they'll have no choice.

The likelihood is it'll happen soon, but I still probably won't be around to see it.

Common sense seems to have left the building.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will point out that EV will probably lead to GPS miles tracked per vehicle as more and more states realize they're losing fuel taxes based on (sort of) miles driven between fillups. I believe Oregon and/or Washington already have designs for such options.

And then there's the problem of people of running extension cords from 2nd story balconies, and over fences, and across sidewalks..because most people don't live in gated communities with separate 6 car garages...

https://www.kcra.com/article/electri...cture/39027899

Last edited by Dumpling; 03-07-2022 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-07-2022, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'd sure like to know what you are thinking. You're way off the mark.
I can't say what he was thinking, but IMHO there is one person who is way off the mark in one comment: "And don't say it's Trump's fault. Putin had started this but knew he couldn't get away with it while Trump was in office." . . Trump's obsequious behavior toward Putin was unmistakable and demonstrated many times including about a week ago.

P.S. I can't wait for this thread to be moved so I can start ignoring it.
navyeod and Alfa02 like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-07-2022, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lets look at "what is" instead of "what if". Speaking only about the peoples republic of CA, the electric grid is pathetic. To localize it more I'll speak of my local grid. We are very remote being about 15-18 air miles east of San Jose. There is a SINGLE 12kv line that was built to power the Lick Observatory. It has never been upgraded to handle the loads placed on it now. It constantly fails. We were without power for 500+ hours in 2021. As we are barely into this year the power has been down for a total of 24+ hours already. That is "what is". They are NOT going to improve our power line, in fact they discourage any new customers and make the application process incredibly lengthy and expensive. "what is" is the fact that CA is trying to move everyone to smart meters so they can control the rate you pay at certain times of the day. The "cheap rate" is an attempt to make power so expensive that people won't be able to afford it during the expensive part of the day. Why? Because the power grid will not support the demand placed on it. There's the Rolling Blackouts to try and relieve pressure on the grid during peak usage. There's the PSPS shutdowns. The grid is so poorly maintained that they have installed Weather stations all over rural areas to shut the power off if the weather hits certain parameters. During 'fire season' if there a PSPS the entire line has to be MANUALLY INSPECTED before they will heat the line back up. Depending on the weather it can and has taken days.
I'll say for the very, very small minority of residents that the electric cars may work, but for the other billion or so, it's a joke.
Lucky275 likes this.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:39 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I second that Tommy. Come on, guys let's just shut this post down before things get out hand We're Cobra people, were better than this. Last post from me. Cheers To EVERYONE. Tom.
sunman likes this.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

"Lets look at "what is" instead of "what if". Speaking only about the peoples republic of CA"

redmt, you and one other here use "republic" as a derogatory word, yet in the same breath, follow the ones that say "The U.S. is a Republic, Not a Democracy". Parroting words and statements perhaps?
Old 03-07-2022, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I can't say what he was thinking, but IMHO there is one person who is way off the mark in one comment: "And don't say it's Trump's fault. Putin had started this but knew he couldn't get away with it while Trump was in office." . . Trump's obsequious behavior toward Putin was unmistakable and demonstrated many times including about a week ago.

P.S. I can't wait for this thread to be moved so I can start ignoring it.
I consider Trump's behavior was cold and calculated. You don't get where he was without knowing when a snake is in disguise. People don't give Trump credit for knowing what was going on. I know alot of people who have risen to the top (none as far as Trump) but you know when they are saying what you want to hear rather than what they really think. You are free to believe otherwise.

My claim remains: Putin didn't try this under Trump's watch.
FredG likes this.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
I will point out that EV will probably lead to GPS miles tracked per vehicle as more and more states realize they're losing fuel taxes based on (sort of) miles driven between fillups. I believe Oregon and/or Washington already have designs for such options.

And then there's the problem of people of running extension cords from 2nd story balconies, and over fences, and across sidewalks..because most people don't live in gated communities with separate 6 car garages...

https://www.kcra.com/article/electri...cture/39027899
All states will have to come to grips that road taxes collected on petrol will not support the street/highway infrastructure. Nevada started collecting "miles driven" I think about 5 years ago (I know all of my emissions tests now have it, and we get emissions annually). I'm sure they're thinking of how to change to a usage model. The problem will be how to do it fairly. For example, we drive only a few miles a day here in Vegas, and the bulk of our miles driven are going to/from Colorado so most of the miles are actually clocked in Utah and Colorado. Now maybe if everyone collects it all in their home state and everyone travels then it averages out, but if you recall many states had the "inspection" stations for trucks (and many still do and equally many sit on the side of the freeway abandoned). They weren't really looking for safety, they were clocking your miles when you entered the state and when you left and how much fuel you bought while inside and the truck firm got a bill for "use". It could come back to that. I almost expect to see "toll" type sensors at each state/locality boundary that collects road taxes. Or maybe all the highways become toll roads.

Cars could also collect the GPS location of charging and similarly report power usage and the tax woudl be on power. (just like gas isn't based on miles but gallons.)

It's complicated but the current infrastructure is basically the early days of auto diesel until it became a big enough deal to collect the taxes - they will figure it out.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We were without power for 500+ hours in 2021.
That is the whole issue with trying totally electrify rural American. I grew up on a farm - dairy farm - and several times a year we would have to milk the cows by hand. It wasn't fun. I know I couldn't plow one acre with an electric tractor let alone 160. Range is improving (if you pay for it) but I knew people out in the middle of Nebraska where an electric vehicle wouldn't make it one way to the nearest town. I'd wager that's true in Texas even with the better range.

Yes, you could do a generator (do you have one?) but I saw that California is outlawing gas powered generators because they are unregulated polluters...

I know how to summarize this. The politicians that are pushing this new agenda aren't paid to think. And they clearly aren't seeing the big picture.

Sure it will happen - every technology ever invented has been retired by a newer bigger, faster, better, cheaper one. But the electrification of transportation just isn't ready for prime time. Keep the government out of it. The places where it makes sense will adopt it. And it'll flow to the others when its time. Don't make it "law".

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-07-2022 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-07-2022, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
"... but you know when they are saying what you want to hear rather than what they really think ..".
I'm out of here after this last comment. The ability to listen to a politician and believe the parts you like while discounting the parts you'd rather he had not said is called confirmation bias. And as I can see here, it is common on both the far left and far right of the political mainstream. Over and out.
Alfa02 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-07-2022, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Curious as to why everything is "far" left, right, up, wrong....?
Don't answer, because I don't want to make you leave for the "last" time still again 😊

Signed: Middleman
Closed Thread