Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2022, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Goodbye to The Internal Combustion Engine

Just in case you didn't believe that California didn't hate the internal combustion engine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/13/cali...-by-2035-.html
Old 04-14-2022, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

And who says politicians are not dictating their agendas?!
RAZOR likes this.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

They’ll be in a permanent brown out with their infrastructure issues. Sad for anyone that lives there not wanting this agenda.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:43 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

It took California long enough to catch up with the auto manufacturers. They are about a year behind them in making this sort of announcement.

In January 2021, GM announced that they would produce 100% electric cars by 2035. Last year, Mercedes Benz said they would produce 100% electric vehicles by 2030. Bentley, Audi, BMW, and others have made similar announcements.

It's not a big deal. Everyone wants to get on the bandwagon and make a statement to push things forward. Whether or not it is accomplished is another thing. Good luck finding enough lithium to make batteries for that many cars. Tesla is already having problems. Then there is the fact that batteries have a bugger of a time performing in cold weather. Just how practical electric cars are in the northeast is yet to be seen. As to infrastructure, sure, it doesn't seem practical now, but there were no gas stations when cars first came out.
I think electric cars are a great concept. They are so much cleaner, more powerful, and easy to maintain...... except for one really big bugger, the battery. I watched a Youtube video the other day about a "cheap" battery repair by an independent operator that fixed three cells in a Tesla battery pack (out of 10 cells). The cost was $5000. The battery is the achilles heel of electric cars. If they can fix the battery issue, I'd own one.
t walgamuth and Tremelune like this.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie View Post
They’ll be in a permanent brown out with their infrastructure issues. Sad for anyone that lives there not wanting this agenda.
Yep, change all the kilowatt equivalent of a gallon of gas or diesel and change it to a three prong plug and see how fast the circuit breaker blows at Hoover Dam...
Sargie and Cobrakeith like this.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:17 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Yep, change all the kilowatt equivalent of a gallon of gas or diesel and change it to a three prong plug and see how fast the circuit breaker blows at Hoover Dam...
It's a lot, but not as bad as I would have guessed.

2.8 trillion miles - Miles traveled by car in the US per year
.3 - kilowatt-hours used by the worst Tesla to travel a mile
840 billion - kilowatt hours consumed if all cars were electric
3.8 trillion - kilowatt hours consumed in the US per year
22% - additional power consumption added to the infrastructure if all cars were electric.

Sure, that would bring the grid down if it were done in the next five years. But 22% is not an overwhelming increase. Now, where is that 22% coming from? Natural gas, coal, nuclear, solar, wind? Coal has plummeted to half of what it was in 2010 (20%). Natural gas is skyrocketing to 40%, so that doesn't help at all. Nuclear is at 20% and somewhat steady. Renewables are growing quickly, but not quickly enough at 20%.

With coal and natural gas representing 60% of electric generation, that's not a good thing. There would need to be a significant improvement in renewables to have this work. Not only that, but it would have to be renewables that are available at night because that's when most people would charge cars. That's a major roadblock.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At the 1914 Chicago Auto Show, (Detroit was still a back water,) there was a big argument on what would power the automobiles of the future. Steam and electric were the favorites. After all, what gentleman or lady would want an infernal combustion engine, with all the smell and exhaust, not to mention, a starter that would break your wrist just looking at it!
Old 04-14-2022, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I still have concerns about efficacy, reliability and availability.

With so many people switching to solar power we may be in danger of overloading the sun and experiencing a solar brown out, especially with the additional demand from the EV crowd. That of course could bring on the next snowball earth period with a several thousand year ice age and that does not even speak to the inter dimensional trans warp vortices that could potentially open up between universes. Times might get tough, just saying ...
Tom Wells, PDUB, HBW and 1 others like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-14-2022 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 04-15-2022, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

It's not going to happen. Looking at the grid load across the entire nation will fool you. 22% doesn't sound like much. But when you look at areas of high concentration like LA or SF, it's overwhelming. It will be a lot more than 22%. And, as Sargie mentioned, the current electrical grid can't manage the present load.

We don't have the raw rare earth materials available to create and support that many electric cars.

And, do they really think every person in CA can afford an electric car?

Petroleum is still the cheapest and most readily available form of energy on the planet. Barring some miraculous scientific discovery, that isn't going to change any time soon.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-15-2022, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I quit TV repair in 1998 when 1” square 100 leg microprocessors came out, the failure rate dropped and replacement became cheaper. The cathode ray tube is gone. Times change.
Solar panels will be everywhere. Battery engineering is going insane.
Power plants using coal and fossil fuels are obsolete will slowly eventually be phased out.
I predicted Windows, dbase would be in all the computers in 1986, neglected to buy Microsoft stock.
No moving parts with solar every engineer’s dream.
Coal consumption in US dropped 19% 2020 from 2019.
Protesters are blocking access to Joe Manchin connected coal plant today.

Last edited by sunman; 04-16-2022 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure and add last line
Old 04-15-2022, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duplicate post
Old 04-15-2022, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Every time one of the solar places call me (unsolicited, in violation of the do not call list) I ask them:

If solar was such a smoking deal, why doesn't every electric utility in the country place solar panels on our houses FOR FREE?

Click.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

“FOR FREE?”
Now your doing Adam Sandler, that movie is hilarious…
Federal rebate is 26% of install cost.
Nevada will give you $2600 towards your Tesla Powerwall.
You only get 75% credit off future bills for excess production.
Your state/power company/the grid rips you off.

Last edited by sunman; 04-15-2022 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-15-2022, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Yep. All the terror and fear of the grid collapsing under the strain of all ICE's being abruptly replaced by electric motors is a fictional dystopian daydream. The replacement process will be slow and gradual with new vehicle sales and public transportation incrementally replacing the aging fossil fueled vehicles over time. No one is coming to take your Cobras away and that time period allows for a predicted growth in energy distribution infrastructure/capacity, battery technology and advancements in green(er) hydrogen production for use in fuel cells.

The future is bright for performance cars - just look at what's available now and imagine how capable cars will be in ten to fifteen years. Will they be different from what we've become accustomed to? Of course, but change in automotive technology has always been happening and will thankfully continue on. The average 4 door performance sedan of today can blow the doors off most if not all of the 60's era muscle cars that so many mourned as the end of a golden era when gas prices forced manufacturers to find new ways to build cars. Let's not even talk about today's true high performance offerings. The golden age is now and it's only going to get better.
NROTOXIN and bobcowan like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 04-15-2022 at 01:51 PM..
Old 04-15-2022, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still concerned about Solar brown outs and Snowball Earth eventualities. An of course don't forget those nasty trans warp conduits and vortices. One of those little gizmos could ruin your day ...
Buzz and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I get this bolt-in antigravity unit perfected this Classic Roadsters will fly using the flux field.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
When I get this bolt-in antigravity unit perfected this Classic Roadsters will fly using the flux field.
Touché

Old 04-15-2022, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

80% of the Worlds electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels. 60% in the US. The electric car thing is somewhat hypocritical.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When the US is "electrified", China will attack the west coast and Russia the east coast using diesel powered tanks and quickly overrun the coastal defenses because our electric tanks have to be plugged in every 10 minutes. Our electric (nuclear) navy will stand a fighting chance.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't worry, by then the lizard people who run the world, will have packed us onto their space ships headed back to their planet, where we will be the early bird special!