Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Kirkham for sale (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145981-kirkham-sale.html)

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 07:25 AM

Kirkham for sale
 
Just a "heads-up" if you're looking for a Kirkham, I just listed mine on
"cobra country.com" Its the red w/o stripes.
If you would like more info, you can call or e-mail me;

srqradtkes@msn.com.

941-730-2020

Thanks,
Ted Radtke

jhv48 06-08-2022 07:58 AM

What’s the story behind the reconstructed title? Was it designated a total due to an accident and then rebuilt?

1985 CCX 06-08-2022 08:14 AM

Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1507166)
What’s the story behind the reconstructed title? Was it designated a total due to an accident and then rebuilt?


1ntCobra 06-08-2022 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1507167)
Ditto


Just take a look through his member gallery.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...sun_damage.jpg

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 09:40 AM

JHV48 & CCX1985CSX
It was totaled due to an engine fire when new (478mi)
A local dealer found it in the insurance yard, bought it and brought it to Sarasota, and I found it there in 2001. Long restoration due to many factors, but had it drivable in 2014.so I have owned it for 20 years !
Ted

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 09:47 AM

I have many more pictures of the rebuild process in a condensed website which is inactive
at the moment, but will be back up before the weekend.
Ted

eschaider 06-08-2022 09:56 AM

And that website is ...

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 10:10 AM

Ed;
My personal IT person is my daughter in NO,LA, I'm waiting for a return call. She is my interface to WIX where site is located. I'll post as soon as it's
back up and working. You can see what it looks like now by visiting "Cobra Country.com"

Ted

cycleguy55 06-08-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1507164)
Just a "heads-up" if you're looking for a Kirkham, I just listed mine on
"cobra country.com" Its the red w/o stripes.
If you would like more info, you can call or e-mail me;

srqradtkes@msn.com.

941-730-2020

Thanks,
Ted Radtke

Nice car. Some photos show wheels with gold centres, others show silver / grey centres - what colour are they currently?

Link to listing: https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...-cobra-radtke/

https://www.cobracountry.com/wp-cont...1162x755-1.jpg

twobjshelbys 06-08-2022 11:36 AM

Too bad about the salvage title. Of all the cars on the planet the Cobra is probably the easiest to return from the dead (and I'm talking about a crash, not a fire). After all, how many of the originals were crashed on Saturday and back on the track the next Saturday? Frame and suspension easy to fix, aluminum pounded out and reformed and the whole thing looks new.

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 01:06 PM

cycleguy:
They are goldish currently, the pic you posted was the "shaded" side, so they look grayish.
The next pic in the listing was the "Sunny" side, so they look "goldish"
When I first got the car the wheels were the stock gray. About 3 yrs ago, I changed to the gold.

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 01:11 PM

Tony;
No pounded out aluminum here, all new panels from Kirkham !

patrickt 06-08-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1507176)
Too bad about the salvage title.

I agree on that. I looked at the listing on CC and it is an absolute steal at $155k -- I just have to believe there was some sort of way to cleanse that title. I bet MM could have figured out a way, he knows more about that stuff than anyone I know.:cool:

mrmustang 06-08-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1507188)
I bet MM could have figured out a way, he knows more about that stuff than anyone I know.:cool:

You would have lost that bet, as I do not know any way to excise a "cursed" title. While the car is absolutely beautiful now, the salvage title, and know history (original fire and light frame/suspension damage due to a spin by the OP) will cause a hard 25-35% hit to the cars value. This one will truly need a needle in a haystack type of buyer, maybe a dealer in search of a toy, one that will throw a dealer tag on it....I personally thought about taking a run at it, but the OP would most certainly not be happy with my offer based on the above.

Bill S.

twobjshelbys 06-08-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1507192)
You would have lost that bet, as I do not know any way to excise a "cursed" title.

What you really need to say is " as I do not know any legal way to excise a "cursed" title."

twobjshelbys 06-08-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1507179)
Tony;
No pounded out aluminum here, all new panels from Kirkham !

So a fire caused irreparable damage to the body that you had to replace some/all? And later some to the frame? That puts a little different spin on it. Maybe it would help there if you posted more details of the damage and what restoration was done to mitigate. Lots of cars are totaled these days because of the labor to repair. Almost any minor collision on a Ford GT is totaled - labor and parts availability make repairs sometimes impossible. But in the hands of an artist can be completely mitigated and documentation can help preserve some of the value. Aluminum is surprisingly friendly to someone that knows what they are doing (vis. the video of David Kirkham repairing a damanged fender).

mrmustang 06-08-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1507193)
What you really need to say is " as I do not know any legal way to excise a "cursed" title."

I personally do not know of any way, legal or illegal to change the history of a currently "rebuilt titled" vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1507195)
So a fire caused irreparable damage to the body that you had to replace some/all? And later some to the frame? That puts a little different spin on it. Maybe it would help there if you posted more details of the damage and what restoration was done to mitigate. Lots of cars are totaled these days because of the labor to repair. Almost any minor collision on a Ford GT is totaled - labor and parts availability make repairs sometimes impossible. But in the hands of an artist can be completely mitigated and documentation can help preserve some of the value. Aluminum is surprisingly friendly to someone that knows what they are doing (vis. the video of David Kirkham repairing a damanged fender).

The pictures that I have seen of the car pre-rebuild show a lot a fire that had to have caused additional "birdcage" damage to the car. The only pictures of the car under repair that I have seen to date show outer body repair and no detail of additional repairs to the inner birdcage substructure. The current pictures show an absolutely beautiful car, minus the once equally as beautiful multi weber carb assembly that previous adorned the engine compartment.

When I still had my bodyshop in PA, I sold several 5.0L converted Miatas with PA rebuilt titles in to Florida without an issue that I ever heard of. From what I can remember, Florida took the PA rebuilt title, then affixed a permanent decal to the car stating it was a previous salvage vehicle and issued a rebuilt title of their own. In one case, the car needed to go through a "rebuilt title inspection", passed without an issue....Perhaps this is the case with this car, without knowing all of the details, and what occurred during the attempted title transfer, it would be difficult to ascertain with a measure of certainty.

Bill S.

MOTORHEAD 06-08-2022 05:17 PM

Gentlemen :
there was never any frame/chassis damage, nor suspension damage, aside from 2 malformed rubber bushings in the left upper "A" frame., and some burned paint.
As I mentioned earlier, I have a small website dedicated to the repairs done on this car.
It is inactive at present, but should be back up before the weekend.
It is currently Titled and registered in Louisiana, and can be in certain other states.
MM; your last paragraph is similar to what I did, only in a different state.

mrmustang 06-08-2022 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1507199)
Gentlemen :
there was never any frame/chassis damage, nor suspension damage, aside from 2 malformed rubber bushings in the left upper "A" frame., and some burned paint.
As I mentioned earlier, I have a small website dedicated to the repairs done on this car.
It is inactive at present, but should be back up before the weekend.
It is currently Titled and registered in Louisiana, and can be in certain other states.
MM; your last paragraph is similar to what I did, only in a different state.

I beg to differ based on your post, and pictures you posted 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirk...went-spin.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1246769)
I've got the car on the lift, giving it a through inspection.
Unfortunately I did not come out unscathed ! Left rear lower A arm is bent, still have to check other side and fronts.
Anybody got one of these in their pocket?

David Kirkham made a post about other places to look for additional damage, if anyone would know, he would.

Still wondering why you state that you cannot title in Florida in your ad on Cobra Country "This Cobra currently has a Louisiana “reconstructed” title and registration and cannot be titled & registered here in the state of Florida" That statement begs the question "why"?

Finally, with the pictures you have posted of the pre-rebuild stage of the car, there most certainly was enough heat to deform the lighter gauge upper birdcage. Are you saying that none of it was damaged by the intense heat of the electrical fire? My own experience as a bodyshop owner makes me think otherwise, sorry.

Bill S.

PS: Again, I'd probably be a cash buyer with a clean title, but nowhere near 6 figures for a previously salvage car, especially when I can get a clean title, csx6000 (granted, fiberglass) for less than your ask, on the very same site as your car is listed.

moore_rb 06-08-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1507193)
What you really need to say is " as I do not know any legal way to excise a "cursed" title."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1507197)
I personally do not know of any way, legal or illegal to change the history of a currently "rebuilt titled" vehicle.

Bill S.

Agree - Once a car is wearing a VIN number that is matched to the VIN number printed on a bonded paper title document, that VIN plate may not be legally tampered with, altered, or removed.

Of course, many states have documented procedures for rectifying a car's VIN and title condition; if the car's original VIN plate should somehow happen to "fall off" the car and become lost while barreling down the highway (Hey, it could happen ;) ). these states will issue a brand new VIN number (which they will affix to the car) and will also issue a new title, which matches the car's new VIN.

and since the car is a "custom built component replica" the new title will carry a SPCON (special construction) designation.

But in this case, That's just too much hassle... I don't necessarily agree that the restored brand on this car's title is going to result in any more than maybe a 10% hit on the resale value... It's still an aluminum bodied Kirkham, after all.

A free (and worth every penny) suggestion: consider submitting it to Bringatrailer, including pics from the fire and the post-fire restoration, and ask for a 125k reserve. (which is easily a 20-30k premium to what one could conceivably build an equivalent Kirkham today)

You might get lucky and they might run the listing. Kirkhams' usually do very well on BAT.

BAT isn't what it used to be (a place for people to list automotive auctions that TRULY "needed a trailer" )

Today, BAT is the haven of heavy 6 figure Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, restomod Broncos, and the occasional Cobra replica

I'm reminded of the FF Mark II that brought almost 70k(!) a few months back. That car must have had some kind of MAGIC brand on its title :LOL:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: