24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2022, 11:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
Mister Bill, I knew the original owner, Grumpy Robert as well has Herr Stein, the second so I'm pretty familiar with the FIA. I tried to get Grumpy to trade out the seats, rear end, wheels and spindles since they were what I wished my 2119 had. He didn't want to bother. I don't know what there is about your car that you don't like, but whatever it is can be changed to your liking a lot quicker and cheaper than ordering and waiting for your "dream". Just my 2¢. See you in Boulder. Karlos
Karl,

I love both cars, that is the problem, the FIA pushes all the right buttons that the roadster currently lacks. But the roadster is more refined than the ERA. I’m locked down at the house, awaiting my internet provider to fix their connectivity issues (upgraded speed, now with two techs scattered around the property and me typing this out on my cell phone). I’ve discussed with SWMBO, and spent a few hours (hours) out in the garage sitting in, and reviewing both cars making vroom vroom noises I’m 90% certain I’ll be keeping the current FIA, but to play it safe, I’m going to sleep on it tonight.

Want to say thank you to all of you who posted on topic to this thread, it really has made me step back and think about this from all angles.

Bill S

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-23-2022, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Don't do it, as of this AM, we are leaning towards keeping the current FIA vs the 289 roadster, as the long term wants and needs for us are aimed towards a dual purpose, HPDE and street car. Still deep in discussion, as a Q2-2024 date for a new SPF-FIA build is causing us to rethink everything. Plan to decide in the next day or so as to not miss the prime season selling window.

Stay tuned

Bill S.
What do you think we need to do to the ERA cars for HPDE track safety? Mechanically I know what to do. Raced and instructed for years. Pretty sure you know my car & build. Always raced in enclosed card with full cage or track days in a sedan. It needs a good 5 or 6 pt. harness. Honestly just concerned about safety. As you are well aware, It’s all good until it’s not then your along for the ride. Thinking this should be it’s own thread now
Rich
Old 06-23-2022, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Don't sell anything right yet. Get a storage locker and park one of the Cobras in it. Leave it until you're absolutely sure you love your new Mustang as much or more as one of the Cobras, then swap Cobras vs Mustang to figure out which rank 1 and 2 and sell #3.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     

I'll take the 289 when you are ready! Pirce ?

thx

BLair
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie View Post
What do you think we need to do to the ERA cars for HPDE track safety? Mechanically I know what to do. Raced and instructed for years. Pretty sure you know my car & build. Always raced in enclosed card with full cage or track days in a sedan. It needs a good 5 or 6 pt. harness. Honestly just concerned about safety. As you are well aware, It’s all good until it’s not then your along for the ride. Thinking this should be it’s own thread now
Rich
Rich,

For mine, updated belts with arm restraints, stiffer mounting of the drivers seat, and an AFF style, 4 nozzle fire suppression system. This just off the top of my head (which passes the broomstick test with helmet on). I’d probably change out some minor items, better brake pads, higher rated cooling fan, the rest of the car is pretty well spec’d as it sits.

Sitting here without internet at the house (day 2 of the U-Versa saga), I’ve been going through old catalogs in my office, a dangerous thing. One of the first I ran across was from Jim Inglese, which of course got me thinking of a modern day alternative, like a stack fuel injection setup to replace the aging Demon carb currently on the motor. After all, my birthday is coming up.

Bill S.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie View Post
Rich
Rich,

Forgot to add, your car doesn’t need a thing for the track, as Jim (rip) built it for that purpose. A new thread with pictures of your beautiful car would be a good idea

Bill S.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Full welded roll cage plus a proper racing seat would be optimal for serious track use. If not at least some bolt in side bars. The broomstick test is from the top of the roll bar to the front strut/ upper control arm mount, 2” minimum clearance, most sanctioning bodies going away from the windshield frame as a measurement point. Might be worth checking on first. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 06-24-2022 at 01:35 PM..
Old 06-24-2022, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Bill,

You can go to my albums and see what I did to the FIA for racing. You might not want to go to the full extent of welded side bars, as it does make it a pain getting in and out for street use. But, food for thought.

Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Bill,

You can go to my albums and see what I did to the FIA for racing. You might not want to go to the full extent of welded side bars, as it does make it a pain getting in and out for street use. But, food for thought.

Thanks, I'm really thinking of the car for "free sessions" at tracks were I may be instructing. My real racing days are behind me, just not enough in me to even try to get back to a professional racing level. If I did, I'd be in another race prepped 95 "R" model.

Bill S.
Sargie likes this.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:50 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Today I saw your "Golden Ticket" SPF FIA. FIA body, street car dash and carpets, full top and bumperettes. Sold so not available, but I think it's what you are thinking of. The 2024 delivery is an issue I understand. Also make sure people know your 289 street roadster has the coveted "SB100" for California should someone want to repatriate it to the Golden State.

Just collected this 289 to handle some of the NYS DMV registration process.
Attached Images

1795 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 06-24-2022 at 03:53 PM..
Old 06-24-2022, 04:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Bill, as you know my "Real Racing" days are over too. If I ever got serious about Track Days, it would be with a Production car (Tin Top) with At least a 4-point roll bar, and 5–6-point belts, anything less is just asking for trouble. Cobras are great for a lot of things, but crashing is NOT ONE OF THEM!! Cheers Tom.
Sargie likes this.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Bill, as you know my "Real Racing" days are over too. If I ever got serious about Track Days, it would be with a Production car (Tin Top) with At least a 4-point roll bar, and 5–6-point belts, anything less is just asking for trouble. Cobras are great for a lot of things, but crashing is NOT ONE OF THEM!! Cheers Tom.
That’s my concern. I’m an instructor looking to make some laps. At 65 the racing is behind me. In a cobra things can go bad fast. The protection or lack of it is my concern.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Bill,

Today I saw your "Golden Ticket" SPF FIA. FIA body, street car dash and carpets, full top and bumperettes. Sold so not available, but I think it's what you are thinking of. The 2024 delivery is an issue I understand. Also make sure people know your 289 street roadster has the coveted "SB100" for California should someone want to repatriate it to the Golden State.

Just collected this 289 to handle some of the NYS DMV registration process.
Rick, as always, I appreciate your guidance. I'm just sorry I could not assist with the one pictured above....NJ is a fickle state, if you don't follow the "kit car package" to the letter, it's not a pretty site, as the owner now knows well.

I see no pictures of the FIA, you know the rules, if there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen. 2024 is not an issue if I keep the current FIA for now, SWMBO and I are discussing our wants, needs, and options moving forward...If we choose to order, you'll be the one to write and submit for a time slot, as your assistance, experience, and your guidance over the years has been invaluable and much appreciated.

Bill S.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@Sargie, and their lie's the issue, our Cobras are just way too fast to just drive around out there safely, without the correct safely gear. My car has Dual rollbars, which Vin (Builder of Pacific Roadsters) said are true bars, and 5-point harness, but even with that, I would never venture to track it, without a full cage, side bars, etc. Even still @67yo, when I put a helmet on, it's to do one thing, drive as fast as the car is able to go, didn't Steve McQueen say "Racing is everything, everything else is just waiting" .. I did a lot PCA events as an instructor and used those events as Tune & Test days for the Alfa. Watching a Porsche streak by on the straightaway, and then be "piddle-slow" in the turns (Remember no passing, only on the straight), did nothing but screw up my rhythm Leaving the Alfa home and running my "Street 911S" @9/10th did nothing but waste gas, and tires I'm afraid track days are off my radar. Sorry I couldn't help much Sargie. Cheers Tom.
Sargie likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Decision made, 289 roadster is now listed in the classifieds.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Sincerely

Bill S.
Sargie likes this.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I found the link: PhotoPost Classifieds - Superformance-MK II street-289 roadster - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds but I am really out of touch with Cobra car values. How did you determine the asking price?
Old 06-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Paint depth meter readings and cold start video please.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Paint depth meter readings and cold start video please.
I'd say someone been hanging around BaT too much
RodKnock likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I'd say someone been hanging around BaT too much
I didn't think those things even worked on fiberglass cars.
Chupee likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

" How did you determine the asking price? "

Doubling what you have in it leaves room for negotiating.