Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2022, 06:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Hi Chupee, I thought I would post your Bring-a-Trailer ad, when you bought it, since it shows detailed pictures of the engine compartment. Bill, John, Jeff, anything here that stands out ?? I know one of our members had a similar problem, 2-years ago, just had the Cobra built in AZ and was driving it back to Washington State, Everything was (Suppose) to be new. The Cobra would run for 45-mins (there abouts) and die, wait 15-mins, it would fire up, and run fine. It turns out (two issues) A semi-coggled in-line fuel filter (Unknown to anyone, under a frame rail, you could find it by following the fuel line). One of those very small glass filters, that can be cleaned, after finding that, the issue was better but still quit after an hour and half driving, that turned out to a coggled fuel pick-up in the tank. I hope some of this will help Chupee, Cheers Tom. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...a-and-america/
Old 12-25-2022, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Had something similar issue a few years back. Intermittent issue. Changed the coil...nope. Gave the carb a good cleaning and adjustment.....nope. Wound up being a broken wire to the magnetic pickup in the distributer. I was lucky to find it. I had the distributer out and was testing the ohm reading on the pickup. One test would be good. Giggle the wire, no good. Very lucky to find it. MSD ignition.

Fred

Damm! For a simple car you have to be a rocket engineer!

thx
Old 12-25-2022, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Hi Chupee, I thought I would post your Bring-a-Trailer ad, when you bought it, since it shows detailed pictures of the engine compartment. Bill, John, Jeff, anything here that stands out ?? I know one of our members had a similar problem, 2-years ago, just had the Cobra built in AZ and was driving it back to Washington State, Everything was (Suppose) to be new. The Cobra would run for 45-mins (there abouts) and die, wait 15-mins, it would fire up, and run fine. It turns out (two issues) A semi-coggled in-line fuel filter (Unknown to anyone, under a frame rail, you could find it by following the fuel line). One of those very small glass filters, that can be cleaned, after finding that, the issue was better but still quit after an hour and half driving, that turned out to a coggled fuel pick-up in the tank. I hope some of this will help Chupee, Cheers Tom. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...a-and-america/
Good idea and thx.

Have done so much to this car since then including painting, body, electrical blah blah blah BUT maybe it is something this simple that is eluding everyone..
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Twilight zone

So I just walk out to the garage and of course./.
FIRES RIGHT UP AND RUNS PERFECTLY NORM

It did not start at 3 pm which was 3 hours after it died.
But now it is 750 Pm in LA so it has been 8 hours and it has healed itself from whatever is goin on.

So this Spark, FUEl dilemma is not the issue?

Open to all interpretations!!!!

Merry CHRISTMAS!
I will offer a 5 STAR dinner to whoever can solve this!
Old 12-25-2022, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Well...

No fuel was getting to it, when the good Samaritan looked at the carb, so start looking at the petrol supply lines. Check for inline filters. Trace it back to the tank and if there is nothing along the way then get into the tank and see what is going on there. Check your fuel pumps for proper action.

Sounds like fuel dribbles into the fuel line over time, and when it gets used up it stops. She won't run without fuel! Best of luck with the gremlin!
Alfa02 and Chupee like this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 12-25-2022, 11:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
2:30am EST, something does come to mind, but not really from the pictures per se.

Under the external gas cap, is there a secondary cap underneath?
If so, it should be a vented cap.
If uncertain if you have a vented, or non vented cap, or whether the cap, if found to be a vented unit, is suspect, I purchase an appropriate replacement vented cap and see if that solves the problem.

In addition, while picture 115 clearly shows a billet fuel filter, I'd check to see if the filter inside is clogged.

Picture 123 shows an electric fuel pump, but no fuel pressure regulator, I'd be replacing the pump and adding a regulator after the pump, and a fuel filter before the pump as well.

Finally, picture 114 shows multiple carb spacers, the bottom 1-1.5" may have been required due to the Edelbrock carb currently in place, but the upper "phenolic" spacer needs to be removed and replaced with a simple 1/8" heat shield (just 1) from the MrGasket "3170" kit.
I've been using them on all my big block, and small block powered cars for years without an issue.

If not used for clearance issues, I'd remove both spacers and just use the 1/8" heat shield in their place.

Bill S.
Alfa02 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-26-2022, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Pop the gas cap open immediately after it dies, crank it over for a while and if it starts up again, it's the fuel tank failing to vent in air to replace the gas thats pumped out.

Yours has an electric fuel pump, right? Check that it's running. And see if it's hot and failing when hot.

And check all the fuel filters. At least if the carb was bone dry when it dies, you've narrowed the problem down to fuel.

-Dave
Old 12-26-2022, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Pictures show an Edelbrock carburetor. On them there is a fuel filter at the fuel line inlet. Some remove that filter when an inline one like yours is added, others leave it in. I would check to be sure yours has been removed. It is very small and clogs very easy.
Chupee likes this.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
2:30am EST, something does come to mind, but not really from the pictures per se.

If uncertain if you have a vented, or non vented cap, or whether the cap, if found to be a vented unit, is suspect, I purchase an appropriate replacement vented cap and see if that solves the problem.

In addition, while picture 115 clearly shows a billet fuel filter, I'd check to see if the filter inside is clogged.

Picture 123 shows an electric fuel pump, but no fuel pressure regulator, I'd be replacing the pump and adding a regulator after the pump, and a fuel filter before the pump as well.

Finally, picture 114 shows multiple carb spacers, the bottom 1-1.5" may have been required due to the Edelbrock carb currently in place, but the upper "phenolic" spacer needs to be removed and replaced with a simple 1/8" heat shield (just 1) from the MrGasket "3170" kit.
I've been using them on all my big block, and small block powered cars for years without an issue.

If not used for clearance issues, I'd remove both spacers and just use the 1/8" heat shield in their place.

Bill S.
Morning Bill,

Gas cap not vented. Lift the lid and put the pump in.
New fuel filter and all lines were replaced a few weeks ago.
New fuel pump was installed a few weeks ago, not sure about the pressure regulator. Will ask.
The spacer. That was not addressed but will ask.....

Also replaced the module and coil 2 rounds ago. (1 month )
Also did this, route a single steel braided or heavy duty rubber rose fuel-rated hose from the back of the carb. straight to the electric fuel pump or hose connection junction going the the pump. Eliminate the Holley fuel regulator.

Much appreciated.....

QUESTION: I had someone rebuild the alternator and his work was a bit sketchy at times. Could that be the culprit?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Bill S.
Morning Bill,

New fuel pump was installed a few weeks ago, not sure about the pressure regulator. Will ask.

Also did this, route a single steel braided or heavy duty rubber rose fuel-rated hose from the back of the carb. straight to the electric fuel pump or hose connection junction going the the pump. Eliminate the Holley fuel regulator.

Much appreciated.....

QUESTION: I had someone rebuild the alternator and his work was a bit sketchy at times. Could that be the culprit? AS I wrote that...... OF COURSE NOT... The fuel is the issue clearly.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post
Morning Bill,

Much appreciated.....

QUESTION: I had someone rebuild the alternator and his work was a bit sketchy at times. Could that be the culprit?
Electrical connections to the pump, ground to the pump, the pump itself, all suspect.

Did you run the fuel line, or did your mechanic? Perhaps fuel line to close to starter, exhaust manifold or exhaust, creating vapor issues and air bubbles that can explain the no fuel in carb issues until everything cools down.

You removed the fuel pressure regulator? Need to add a new one just after the fuel pump.

Need to add a fuel filter just before the fuel pump under the car.

Ok, fuel tank not vented, somewhere on the tank should be a vent of some type, this may be clogged (bugs, ants, bees love to build small nests inside the vent tubes), need to have this checked by your mechanic.

Don't over think things, sometimes it is the simplest of items that cause the biggest headaches.

Bill S.
Chupee and CompFi like this.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JUst waked out othe garge and i started 1st time and ran fr 5 mn and I tunred it off.

I will send it back for 1 more round of detective work with all these great comments!

Stand by

& THANKS!!
Old 12-26-2022, 11:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Boy, the more I think about this, the more it comes back to a coggled fuel pick-up in the tank. The car's 40yo, probably sat most the time, fuel tank metal breaks down (Scale, rust). Bill what do you think?? My 73 Volvo 1800ES, had to remove the tank (10years ago) because of that problem, couldn't find another gas tank (Most rusted out) the tank guy, boiled out, and glassed (Fiberglass) the inside of the tank, good to go. Mine was so bad, after 10mins of idling it would clog, and died. Or a Vapor lock is a possibility. Chupee, it worth checking. Cheers Tom.
Chupee and CompFi like this.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Setup a temporary fuel tank and line to carb. You need to start to narrow down your search. Cheaper than a tow. Engine forward or fuel line back.
Blas
Chupee likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 12-26-2022 at 03:15 PM..
Old 12-26-2022, 03:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Red face

Quote:
Boy, the more I think about this, the more it comes back to a coggled fuel pick-up in the tank. The car's 40yo, probably sat most the time, fuel tank metal breaks down (Scale, rust). Bill what do you think?? My 73 Volvo 1800ES, had to remove the tank (10years ago) because of that problem, couldn't find another gas tank (Most rusted out) the tank guy, boiled out, and glassed (Fiberglass) the inside of the tank, good to go. Mine was so bad, after 10mins of idling it would clog, and died. Or a Vapor lock is a possibility. Chupee, it worth checking. Cheers Tom.
Tom,

Posted this on CC back on 8-17-2003 at 07:54 AM:

Quote:
Purchased a 1970 GTO convertible in the spring of 1984 (back half being used as a chicken coop), intermittent fuel starvation problems under heavy acceleration...Started with the filter, fuel pump, carb, fuel lines...last item, hot tank the fuel tank at the local radiator shop......Found problem, dead rat in gas tank, under hard acceleration, the tail of this dead critter was getting sucked up in to the fuel pickup, thus causing the flow of fuel to stop, and the car to die...........

Scary but true...................
Makes you wonder what the backstory is on cars we have owned in the past

Bill S.
Alfa02, Chupee and CompFi like this.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I think we (you & I) have owned so many cars over the years, we've seen about everything, that can happen, happen. What's the saying "Seen that, done that, even bought the T-shirt & Hat" I hate when I have to post the same thing, you posted WAY back in Aug. you're always one or step's ahead of me Cheers Bill, Tom.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
I think we (you & I) have owned so many cars over the years, we've seen about everything, that can happen, happen. What's the saying "Seen that, done that, even bought the T-shirt & Hat" I hate when I have to post the same thing, you posted WAY back in Aug. you're always one or step's ahead of me Cheers Bill, Tom.
Tom,

August, yes, but the year I originally posted it was 2003, a little before your time here.

Bill S.
Alfa02 likes this.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had an awesome conversation with a fellow Aurora owner who has had this EXACT issue several times with SUPERFORANCE and other cars.

He is swearing it is a case of the fuel pump being too close to the exhaust and it simply overheats and dies,

I need to see how close it is but its getting down to the nitty-gritty!!!! I think....

thanks for all the thoughtful info..some pretty wild ones also!!!!
Old 12-27-2022, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post
Thx Bill,

I still have to ask the question from a NON-MECHANIC, that's me..

While trying to start the car there is No gas going into the carb bowls. Even with me standing on the gas pedal. What controls that simple action?

appreciated
Check your fuel pump. Sounds like you're not pushing fuel.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 12-27-2022, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Photo #136.
Lose the spade terminals. Google how to tie wire, crimp on a barrel and add two layers heat shrink tube.
Check by blowing thru or just change filter.
Check filter on carb hookup too.
With filter removed from pump run some gas and see what comes out of tank.
That’s a small pump. Looks cheap. If it’s old just change it to a better new pump.
Chupee likes this.

Last edited by sunman; 12-27-2022 at 07:58 PM..