• 1 Post By panteralee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2023, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SB100/Special Vehicle program with blown engine

I have a problem cobra replica registered under the California SB100/Special Vehicle program with a blown engine.

I am unsure if all replacements must be identical to the original components. But a nifty pair of used aluminum heads popped up at ½ the price it would cost me to machine, port, and polish the cast iron heads being replaced.

As yet, (I haven’t finished reading the regulation), I can’t find anything saying it’s a no-no.

ALL INPUT is appreciated.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane basic kit, 408W efi
Not Ranked     

I’ll take a stab at this, as I’m about to go through SB100 with the Hurricane cobra I’m building. In short, as long as the car is registered as an early model, like 1965, the aluminum heads pose no issue.

My understanding is that when the car is registered SB100 around the 1960s, all that is required is the closed loop PCV. So, one valve cover plumbed to the carb base, and the other to the air cleaner.

The aluminum heads should not preclude that. Additionally, I don’t think you will ever need to recertify it from the smog perspective, so it’s technically a moot point.

A couple examples: my build has aluminum heads, and I anticipate no problems. Another, a local cobra guy is running the 8 separate efi intake system. He just went through SB100. On his initial go through smog, he didn’t have the closed loop PCV, so they made him build an air box for the intakes to be able to plumb the PCV. Of course, once registered, he ditched the air box.

So as long as your registration year is of old, I don’t think the heads matter one bit.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Just a note. You can't register the car as a 196x year in California. You will be registered as the year that you go through the process. Mine is a 2021 since I did this last year. Even if the person at DMV says they can do it as a 1965, or whatever, don't do it. They've gone after some people because it's considered fraud, since it was not built in the 60's. As Malgyver said, once it's got the SB100 sticker, you don't have to have it inspected again.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have never heard of any SB100 car owner getting to "choose" what year their car is called by the DMV. SB100 dates the car as to when it was registered by them. Furthermore, ALL SB100 cars are smog exempt - that was the whole point of SB100. Not sure what aluminum head would have to do with changing the way SB100 works. There are numerous cobras and GTs running around Cali with Aluminum heads and AL blocks for that matter and they all are SB100 cause that is the only way to register them. And how on earth would the DMV every know if you changed them anyhow once you are registered? So no, I do not think there is any issue.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

I'm trying very hard to understand the dilemma here. From what I understand, you have an SB100 right now. From the oh so wonderful CA DMV perspective, you are legally certified to be smog exempt for the entire life of the car. Do you really think that CA DMV tracks what happens to your motor in the car? Yes, I know that the engine displacement is stamped on the SB100 sticker but if you keep the motor and just rebuild it, who cares? And, if you swap the motor out for another motor of 'similar' displacement, who is going to check???

I just don't understand the concern here.
eschaider and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

To the OP;

If the car is already SB100 registered, what is the concern you have? SB100 is not something you need to reapply for or get updated every time you stop at a service station to gas up. Once you have it you have it!

If the car needs to be serviced, go service it and drive it.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Sounds like Speedbump being new to the process just asked a very simple question here. Now if the “blower engine” needs a replacement block or if the block can be salvaged, or if he can install a different engine all-together. I think he is looking for some guidance as to how to proceed and not void them SB100 certification he already has. Chances are ( the norm) the car would never be inspected again, but are there ramifications when he goes to sell it in the future?
Blas
Ron61 likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-04-2023, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would fix your motor and move on. I would not call the DMV and ask them. They can barely administer SB100 to begin with, let alone manage repairs.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Malgyver

You may be right. In my case, it's: PCV, TAC, SPK, and 1X4 BBL Carb

Thank you for your input.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

EZ$

Thank you for your input. To "flesh out" particular SPCNS legal concerns, note the following:

CALIFORNIA FINALIZES PROGRAM TO PROVIDE AMNESTY TO OWNERS OF ILLEGALLY TITLED/REGISTERED SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED VEHICLES
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...rs-illegally-0
Yes, it doesn't have it inspected again, but what if you need Referee services?
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

panteralee

Excellent point! Mine is titled YEAR: 0000 and MAKE: SPCNS. Barring an update I haven't read yet, the information the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) spokesperson gave, "whatever is replaced must be replaced by the same thing," is an oversimplification. I believe what he met to say was that all replacement parts and components must conform to the Referee's Label. The referee's label is what carries the weight. But if I discover an update at the beginning of next week, that notion could change.

Based solely on my personal experience, I have seen how nasty and expensive litigation can be. I prefer staying out of trouble.
__________________________________________________ __________________________

eschaider

It will take another day to read everything I have and check for legislative and departmental revisions.
But at this point, my documentation indicates that you may not be entirely correct.

Plus, there are other issues as well. For example, say an overly enthusiastic officer gives you a citation for excessive noise because he believes the side pipes are too loud. What do you do?

Barring an update, I haven't read yet; the most viable solution is to get a" clearance of a law enforcement citation for excessive exhaust noise," a service provided by the BAR Referee.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Blas

You are correct, Blas. Unless an unfortunate event raises eyebrows and subsequent scrutiny, the probability of SB100 issues is low. But selling the vehicle without full disclosure is an entirely different picture. At that point, I believe the car could quickly become a litigation magnet.

If, as a worst-case scenario, something were to happen, such as an accident, or the new owner's mechanic noticed a disparity and used a civil suit to make them whole. As leverage, the "wronged" owner could notify the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and if the problem is egregious, it could bring criminal charges. I've seen opposing attornies use State and Federal authorities to further their case; trust me, it isn't uncommon.

So, I think it's a simple, if-then, cost versus benefit situation.

Last edited by Speedbump_; 02-04-2023 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-04-2023, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Can't think of a situation that you would need referee services on the car once you have your SB100 number and sticker. The less contact with the DMV and the state the better. In the 56 yers I have lived and been driving in CA, getting my SB100 certification was my first contact with the BAR, and the CHP for that matter.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fortune has smiled upon you. But forewarned is forearmed.

1 The consumer may be eligible for a repair cost waiver (section 1.8.1).

2 A consumer is unable to locate a required emission control part and may qualify for a
limited parts exemption.

3 Clearance of a law enforcement citation for excessive exhaust noise.

4 Clearance of law enforcement citation for modified emission controls.

5 The vehicle is exempt but received a “Smog Certificate Required” statement on the
DMV registration renewal notice. The Referee can provide exempt vehicle verification
to resolve the situation with DMV.

Ref:
H&S sections 44014, 44017.4, 44036, VC Section 27150.2
H&S sections 44014, 44017.4, 44036, VC Section 27150.2
Old 02-04-2023, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

While there are provisions in the code for the issues you have identified, I think a review of how often, if ever, those issues have been adjudicated may likely come back with a zero or essentially zero instance record.

Some of this stuff, not withstanding the fact it is documented in the code, essentially does not / has not happened. It is sort of like the potential to die from a meteor impact that hits you directly. This is a real possibility. It is just not probable. What does a prudent man do? Protect against the improbable or recognize the improbable as improbable and continue on with his life.

In the end, the call is entirely yours and by definition what ever you choose is going to be correct for you.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Once its sb100, it is never required to be inspected again. Short of installing an after burning F110, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want (for now)…
Old 02-08-2023, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane basic kit, 408W efi
Not Ranked     

Well I am happy to be corrected about the registration year, and it sounds like the consensus is that you could go ahead and fix your engine more or less whatever way you want, and you should not have an issue. If I were you, I would be sure to make sure that whatever modifications you do could be retrofitted for the minimal smog equipment in case you had to be re-inspected in the future. Again my understanding is that you simply need to be be able to have a closed PVC system. So perhaps leave the jet engine/2-stroke engine plans for when you move out of state!

Tags
sb100