Like Tree111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 12:13 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Not at all Dennis, my 2nd one was 289 narrow hip Mk.2, with a C-4 Auto. I enjoyed the rear pipes just as much, as side pipes Leaving a car show, with just the right amount of throttle, first to second it would give the rear tires a nice little chirp, as if to say, I may be a small block with an auto, but I'm still a Cobra Cheers Tom.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Hope I can see video of yesterday's cars and coffee in Scottsdale. I was leaving and coming down the road to the freeway and everyone was lined up by the other exit filming cars leaving etc. I was in 3rd gear just cruising along and they saw the Cobra coming and they wanted action. Ok I could not resist. I was lazy and just pumped on her in 3rd. By the time I got to them she was winding up in 3rd and started smoking the rears, as is normal in any of the lower 3 gears is you get close to WOT. Had to have looked and sounded assume. I am sure video of that will show up somewhere, lol.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

And after that you realized just how incredibly stupid that maneuver was, right?

Some guy tried that on I25 in Denver with his new Kirkham, exchanged rear and front ends, ended up with a molten pile of aluminum and a funeral.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2022 Superformance MKIII-R
Not Ranked     
Default Ur as A$$ Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
And after that you realized just how incredibly stupid that maneuver was, right?

Some guy tried that on I25 in Denver with his new Kirkham, exchanged rear and front ends, ended up with a molten pile of aluminum and a funeral.
Hey Tony, at what point are you going to feel incredibly stupid for childishly scolding a complete stranger as if you have the right to do so? D**K.

There are MUCH more mature ways that could have been handled. Here's a thought....how about you mind your own freaking business jacka$$???
Pat yourself on the back and feel good about yourself, sir. Then sell your high performance sports car, buy yourself a mid-range Prius and STFU.

Last edited by Capt Nobody; 03-05-2023 at 02:49 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Nobody View Post
Hey Tony, at what point are you going to feel incredibly stupid for childishly scolding a complete stranger as if you have the right to do so? D**K.

There are MUCH more mature ways that could have been handled. Here's a thought....how about you mind your own freaking business jacka$$???
Pat yourself on the back and feel good about yourself, sir. Then STFU.
Absolutely not at all. There are more than enough examples of such behaviour resulting in fatalaties documented here on the forum. People learn from their mistakes but unfortunately with a Cobra those mistakes are often fatal. If not to the driver then to the innocent bystanders (and frankly, if someone wants to kill themselves by being stupid, I don't care, but please consider that your actions may involve others.)

Doing it is one thing. Bragging about it? Wanting someone to post the video of being stupid in public? Sorry. Doesn't work in my book. If I see you do it and I get your license plate I'll report you. Brag in public and you get what you deserve. Zero tolerance.

Such behaviour does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR THE HOBBY. There are enough videos published here already of these with tragic endings. We don't need another.

Had an officer been nearby he would almost certainly have gotten a ticket for drag racing. He even admitted it was in reaction to someone else egging him on. Purely voluntary.

Such behaviour (done within a short distance of EVERY stanctioned Cars and Coffee (when it was still an organized brand) would get you banned for life.

Everyone has a pucker moment through no deliberate action. The rear end of my truck scooted last week in a rainstorm just pulling onto the street. I went half way around. Fortunately noone was there. I now know that even new tires on freshly rained Vegas streets aren't enough to keep the tires on the ground. I learned.

However, such behavior done deliberately is intolerable. Read my lips: You get no sympathy from me and I'll call your a** on it every time.

I don't condone street racing either. Same reasons.

If such chastising means he's learned his lesson and doesn't do it again I have accomplished my goal.

If you think this is a good example of how to drive a Cobra please remind me where you live so I won't be anywhere near you.

Back to the OP: If you can't figure out the limits of your new toy take it to the track where you can do these things safely.
Ron61, Snake2998 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-05-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is another perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXRwT6fjqg

Last edited by HTM101; 03-05-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
This is an alternative perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXRwT6fjqg
How many of the examples in the video were exactly the straight line wheels losing traction resulting in fishtailing oversteer? One was even on the drag strip.

I remember seeing the one of the mustang with the side caved in - that was as I recall exiting a C&C event. It may have been the same one where the rear end broke loose and fishtailed into the right side curb with lots of bystanders. It was an incredible piece of luck the car didn't jump the curb and wipe out a bunch of civilians.

Also lots of examples of people making relatively uneventful-looking left hand turns when the rear end breaks loose and the resulting oversteer. Most of them weren't what I consider "racing". Both my Cobra and GT would do this exiting my subdivision before the tires were warmed up. Something I could do every day of the week with my regular cars didn't work with the tires on the sports cars... You learn... Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations..."

OP is one lucky dude.

The lambo fire was classic !

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-05-2023 at 03:40 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

redvettx2 - ignore Tony the Tool

His diatribe clearly proves that this Karen is an uneducated naysayer that "road the short bus to the special schools" as an adolescent and as an adult now desperately seeks self-satisfaction/gratification by projecting negativity upon others to fuel his warped ego.
Tony - Your uni-dimensional train of thought clearly shows your incompetence and inability understand what empathy is, or what the word even means. I feel sorry for you.
Please don't bother writing back. I haven't the patience nor the desire to entertain dolts like you.
Again - just STFU.

Last edited by Capt Nobody; 03-05-2023 at 03:50 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the other hand you can't fix stupid.

Good luck.
Ron61 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Good luck.
NOW UR GETTING IT, TONY!

My Doctorate is PsyD. My older sister is a PhD.
Even as kids my sister would always say... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

You didn't scold the guy 'for the better', Tony. All you did was embarrass a new member in front of the entire community. It's not the same thing.
You may have meant well but your comments were negative and came off as an attack.
That is counterproductive. The exact opposite of positive reinforcement to produce a positive result.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Good luck.
Actually, this comment is also extremely counterproductive.
Your father must have been hard on you growing up.
Just leave the kid it alone. You have no right.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Good luck.
Actually, this comment is also extremely counterproductive.
Your father must have been hard on you growing up.
Just leave the kid it alone. You have no right.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:57 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Redvettex2, I hope by now you realize that was not the smartest thing to do, not only putting yourself in danger, but everyone else in the area. we (Cobra owners) don't need this kind of publicly. If you got me chriping the tires @30MPH, as a go ahead for this type of foolness, I apologize. @Capt. Nobody, you're new here, and what did you just do?? "Stuck your nose in someone else's business, same thing you just did by calling out Tony" ", only your comments will get you banned (Your choice of language to another member), READ our rules, there are here for reason if not, hopefully Jamo will give you the short version in how to act here. Cheers Tom.
Ron61, Tommy and Snake2998 like this.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Redvettex2, I hope by now you realize that was not the smartest thing to do, not only putting yourself in danger, but everyone else in the area. we (Cobra owners) don't need this kind of publicly. If you got me chriping the tires @30MPH, as a go ahead for this type of foolness, I apologize. @Capt. Nobody, you're new here, and what did you just do?? "Stuck your nose in someone else's business, same thing you just did by calling out Tony" ", only your comments will get you banned (Your choice of language to another member), READ our rules, there are here for reason if not, hopefully Jamo will give you the short version in how to act here. Cheers Tom.
You are absolutely right, what I did was, without question, out of line. I take full responsibility for my actions.
My reasoning for doing what I did will be discussed in PM's with the intended parties.

To the whole community in general - I apologize for the public impropriety.

I do not suffer fools gladly, Alfa02. There is a lesson to be learned here for all.

Last edited by Capt Nobody; 03-05-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Old 03-05-2023, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Just couldn't leave well enough alone.
Alfa02 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-05-2023, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I can imagine the call.
“Yes officer he was doing a burn out and flipped me off”
“Tag? Ya I did get it. It was BITEME.”
Keep it coming this is good stuff.
It’s called Street Outlaws not Old Dude Puttering Around.
Capt Nobody likes this.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Tom! That is an excellent combo! When Carrol had his last Cobra built, it was a continuation MKII, with an auto, not sure if it was a C4, C6 or a modern auto, but he loved it. I believe one of his originals, was a 428 with C6. Cheers, Dennis
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch here dam! I get Tony's point but he wasn't there and is playing Monday morning quarterback. I have probably been to more cars and coffee's than many of you combined. I have seen the videos and seen it live when a GT40 on cold tires got totaled in front of everyone and it was not his car! Obviously!

In the videos you see one consistent theme. Zero throttle control. Mash it the floor and hope for the best is not a good strategy. I have had plenty of experience in high performance cars and racing to know my cars and my own limits. At no time was my car sideways, out of shape or out of control. I was even with or past the filmers when the tires broke loose as I was expecting. I wasn't flat footed but rolling into the throttle. You can't go to the floor in any of the first 3 gears in this car without and increased heart rate. Would the POPO have pulled me over. I doubt it. As I was coming down the road I watched 3 cars pull out sideways leaving black marks all over the road. They obviously had more social degenerates to worry about if they were around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XdIfa3LTyk&t=159s

Now there is a sketchy move. A guy who obviously knows his car well but a plethora of bad things could have happened. But didn't.

I get Tony's point and I should have known the fun police is everywhere. If I have to drive it like my TDI it would be for sale immediately. Should have kept my mouth shut but I am enjoying the car and getting to know it.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch here dam! I get Tony's point but he wasn't there and is playing Monday morning quarterback. I have probably been to more cars and coffee's than many of you combined. I have seen the videos and seen it live when a GT40 on cold tires got totaled in front of everyone and it was not his car! Obviously!

In the videos you see one consistent theme. Zero throttle control. Mash it the floor and hope for the best is not a good strategy. I have had plenty of experience in high performance cars and racing to know my cars and my own limits. At no time was my car sideways, out of shape or out of control. I was even with or past the filmers when the tires broke loose as I was expecting. I wasn't flat footed but rolling into the throttle. You can't go to the floor in any of the first 3 gears in this car without and increased heart rate. Would the POPO have pulled me over. I doubt it. As I was coming down the road I watched 3 cars pull out sideways leaving black marks all over the road. They obviously had more social degenerates to worry about if they were around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XdIfa3LTyk&t=159s

Now there is a sketchy move. A guy who obviously knows his car well but a plethora of bad things could have happened. But didn't.

I get Tony's point and I should have known the fun police is everywhere. If I have to drive it like my TDI it would be for sale immediately. Should have kept my mouth shut but I am enjoying the car and getting to know it.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@Redvettex2. Quote, unquote " by the time I got to them she was winding up in 3rd gear and starting to smoke the tires" So you were going what? 35-40MPH, or 80-90?? Since you said you have raced before, why not show your driving skills on the track, and not on a public street, where a mistake could cost you dearly. Drag race, Auto-X, track day, or really show us, Wheel to wheel racing! Just an FYI, if you try to pull any kind of stunt like that, around the AZ club guys, they will show you the door. Cheers Tom. P.S. there is a saying "Don't let your ego, write checks your talent can't cash"

Last edited by Alfa02; 03-06-2023 at 09:23 AM..